Barrel cleaning - Airsoft Sniper Forum
       

Go Back   Airsoft Sniper Forum > General > General Sniper Talk
General Sniper Talk Dedicated to any and all sniper-related discussions

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
_Tom_   _Tom_ is offline
Young Gun
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 31
Barrel cleaning

I was trying to find some cleaning alcohol to clean my barrel and could only find 99% is that too much concentration or is that still good? Also is there a difference between barrel lapping and polishing if so what are their advantages?
Thanks a bunch guys :D
  Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Jr. Sniper
 
MagicMarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 170
You can just dilute a high concentration to get a low one, with water. I'm uncertain on whether you need to or not.
Lapping and polishing are different, but I'm not the best source on the matter.
kazuchan likes this.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
bmr3   bmr3 is online now
Advanced Sniper
 
bmr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 543
I always use 99% since I figure there will be little to no contaminants. I use the 99% to clean my barrel and lightly clean my bucking. I have experienced zero adverse effects so far


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Entropy   Entropy is offline
Jr. Sniper
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 238
Denatured Alcohol.

Lapping is far superior when done right.
__________________
Polarstar 416 Heathen.
Future VSR-X Aluminum Owner
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
Jr. Sniper
 
kazuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Denatured Alcohol.

Lapping is far superior when done right.
I heard it can improve crappy into good/great one. But the cost for the kit back me up....
__________________
JG BAR-10 G-spec:
+ PPS steel cylinder head .
+ SHS steel 2nd sear, 1st sear, Spring guide stopper.
+ Element M145 spring ( added 9mm spacers )
+ AA hop-up chamber,ML monster 70* bucking..
+ Maple Leaf inner barrel 470x6.02 mm.
+ FPS : wait for re-test
+ Banana 190 mm.
+ China made barrel spacers ( 2 ).
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
Entropy   Entropy is offline
Jr. Sniper
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 238
The kit (or even individual parts) are costly yeah, thus more effective to just buy a good barrel to start.
Dimitri MdP likes this.
__________________
Polarstar 416 Heathen.
Future VSR-X Aluminum Owner
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Advanced Sniper
 
Dimitri MdP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mar del Plata, Argentina
Posts: 572
yup, barrel lapping kits are pretty much the same price as a good quality barrel, so for most users it will make no sense at all.

Only cases I can think of is for weird guns with proprietary barrels that have no aftermarket ones available, or perhaps airsoft mechanics offering bulk lapping on stock guns as a part of a cheap all-around gun optimisation, otherwise it's not worth it.

As for the alcohol, just use it as is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:53 AM   #8
Jr. Sniper
 
KillerDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tom_ View Post
I was trying to find some cleaning alcohol to clean my barrel and could only find 99% is that too much concentration or is that still good? Also is there a difference between barrel lapping and polishing if so what are their advantages?
Thanks a bunch guys :D
to polish is to make smooth but could be wavy. to lap is to make concentric smooth as in flat.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:20 AM   #9
torkas   torkas is offline
Jr. Sniper
 
torkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri MdP View Post
yup, barrel lapping kits are pretty much the same price as a good quality barrel, so for most users it will make no sense at all.

Only cases I can think of is for weird guns with proprietary barrels that have no aftermarket ones available, or perhaps airsoft mechanics offering bulk lapping on stock guns as a part of a cheap all-around gun optimisation, otherwise it's not worth it.

As for the alcohol, just use it as is.
can you link me some proper lapping kit? im very interested. thanks.

EDIT:

http://www.clandestineairsoft.com/hs...l-5-p-508.html

Oh ok, I see its quite expensive.

Last edited by torkas; 10-13-2016 at 03:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 AM   #10
Reliku   Reliku is offline
Veteran Sniper
 
Reliku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkas View Post
can you link me some proper lapping kit? im very interested. thanks.

EDIT:

HS-Armory Barrel Lapping Kit Level 5 [HSA-LV5-LAP] - $80.00 : Clandestine Airsoft, Your source for Airsoft parts and accessories

Oh ok, I see its quite expensive.
That is overpriced though. It can be done for much cheaper if you search elsewhere.

Lapping is a good investment if you want to do multiple barrels. You can lap many barrels, you only need extra laps (and you can even reuse fine laps as coarse laps on another barrel) and it takes some time to do. You can essentially give a stock barrel the same finish as an EdGI barrel. If you can also do your own crowning then you can essentially make your own barrels and you won't have to buy aftermarket barrels anymore
torkas likes this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:17 AM   #11
torkas   torkas is offline
Jr. Sniper
 
torkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkas View Post
Lapping is a good investment if you want to do multiple barrels. You can lap many barrels, you only need extra laps (and you can even reuse fine laps as coarse laps on another barrel) and it takes some time to do. You can essentially give a stock barrel the same finish as an EdGI barrel. If you can also do your own crowning then you can essentially make your own barrels and you won't have to buy aftermarket barrels anymore
Later on I will look for this kit my self. To finish my AEG barrels and to perfect edgi from scratches i've got now....
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
_Tom_   _Tom_ is offline
Young Gun
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 31
Okay thanks guys, i actually have an EdGi barrel but was unsure if lapping could improve it further, i think ill just stick to cleaning :)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Advanced Sniper
 
Dimitri MdP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mar del Plata, Argentina
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tom_ View Post
Okay thanks guys, i actually have an EdGi barrel but was unsure if lapping could improve it further, i think ill just stick to cleaning :)
DO NOT try to mod your EdGI, it's perfect as it is! Lapping is for crappy stock barrels.
Reliku, bmr3 and Siggi like this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
Jr. Sniper
 
CrusherW9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 168
https://youtu.be/JmrTaJDjnfI
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #15
 
Plazmaburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,452
Send a message via Skype™ to Plazmaburn
You can lap any barrel and get improvements, not overly needed with Edgi barrels, but if your laps are good and you have the right compounds then you can improve an Edgi past its "stock" finish. HS5 laps are ok for most cases, but not for extreme high end finishes. Doable, sure. But you need to use a fresh lap for that. You also do not get that may barrels out of them before they are garbage. On average I get maybe 3 barrels tops out of mine.

I have since found better. (and designed a few better...)
__________________
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, and notice more than you realize.

Last edited by Plazmaburn; 10-13-2016 at 03:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cylinder:barrel ratios explained Reliku General Sniper Talk 97 04-17-2017 10:56 AM
The Ultimate KJW M700 Upgrade Guide bobcat Bolt Action 303 03-08-2017 11:39 AM
How to get maximum Joule Creep from an AEG 1tonne Longrange AEGs 89 02-06-2017 01:24 PM
Polishing a steel barrel Asianwarchief General Sniper Talk 17 08-19-2016 11:23 AM
Hpa dmr help!!! Oklahoma Sniper Semi-Auto 8 08-06-2016 12:11 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.