Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, is there anyway to check if your set up is getting as close to a 100% seal as possible, or do you just have to hope that any work you have done works.

As with my vsr I would do a compression test to check the barrel/hop and cylinder seals.But as this system has no piston to check with the gas has to force its self out i suppose.

Any ideas??

·
Administrator
6,219 Posts
You can't have 100% seal with Tanaka's, the biggest problem is the seal mag/bolt, the oring gets worn with use and if you try to make it seal better by lowering the oring towards the mag it will get ripped.
I suppose you could use a stiffer spring at the outlet valve but I've never found anything else besides the P* spring.

You bought the one that was on Arnies?
that guy was afraid to ship it outside UK! I've bought several rifles/pistols from the UK and I know the procedure and still he was scared! It WA's a great bargain though!

Wolf

·
Registered
536 Posts
What Wolfgeorge said..it is (as you noted) hard to test the optimal air seal..what you can do to improve it is:

1) if you have a PCS valve, unscrew it, teflon tape the threads and screw it back

2) If you have a PCS valve, notice there is a tiny small Allen Screw that keeps it in place, because with movement, shooting etc. it could get looser/tighter (although teflon tape kinda helps securing it in place)

3) Do not pull the bolt-to-magazine round rubber o-ring, because it will get ripped when moving the bolt..you could reinforce the magazine valve spring, which is the one that pushes the round brass cylinder (right on top of the magazine valve) against the bolt valve. I made some custom springs from normal springs bought at a DIY store..commercially you can buy the G&G Gas Route Connector Spring, which is stiff-er than the original..but if you want extra stiffness you should custom make one for your magazine. Be careful when testing it because it might cause your bolt to be stuck, when to strong.

4) VSR-type bucking can grant you a better air seal, I have the King Arms nozzle and the VSR Hop Up Chamber Conversion and all in all it is a more-proven system.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I got the parts,still to receive them. Then I'm just going to use them for a junkyard build/testing/modding base and many use them for getting parts fabricated,as I don't want to sent parts from my main tanaka away.

G&G also make gas router springs and I think I did install them.

I know there are actually only a few places for air to escape,I've had quite a few tanakas now and now them quite well. but I've never really thought about how much of the gas expelled from the mag gets used to fire the bb and how much is actually lost.
There is also no real way to tell with this set up unless you see a large fps drop,I never have and always seal parts aswell as possible,but was just something I was mulling over recently and thought i would ask.

The main area for leakage would be the hop/barrel i would think though.

·
Administrator
6,219 Posts
You can wrap the bucking with Teflon tape to tight it up to the barrel but you won't do much, the gas if you use green gas/ propane will keep expanding in the barrel.

Edit: the main leaking area is the mag-bolt connection though... On most gas in mags is this location including pistols!

Wolf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.