Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1980's/1990's US Military - The Loadout Guide

126K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Doctor Jest 
The night desert parka was designed for use against active IR systems mounted primarily on Warsaw Pact AFVs such as the big IR floodlights on the T-62 or the BMP-1. My experience with using them in an active IR environment has not proven them to be all that great but honestly, it's pretty hard to hide from that stuff... Against a passive system, they are not really any better or worse than anything else.

They are ok camo wise but really hit their stride as overparkas on cold desert nights. They are cut the same as the old fishtail parkas so you can tie the bottom split halves of the parka snug around each thigh and draw up the waist draw string and they keep the wind out pretty well.

There are buttons inside the night desert parka as well that allow you to button in a specific night desert parka liner that REALLY adds to the usefulness of these things. I use mine as an intermediate cold winter jacket in normal lifetime use, in fact it is sitting right behind me now on my coat hook (I am at work now).

Another good night desert parka gag is to take a candle, rub the dickens out of it all over the outside surface of the parka till it's nearly white with wax then iron it with an iron set to Medium. It happens that the material the night desert parka is made of is absurdly weather resistant when waxed, while it's not a "rain coat" by any stretch, it is certainly more weather-proof than you would expect once waxed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.