Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1980's/1990's US Military - The Loadout Guide

126K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Doctor Jest 
#1 · (Edited)
So you wanna go retro? This guide will help you to build a 1980's to 2000's US military loadout. This guide will cover the Woodland and Desert versions of this US military loadout.

Battle Dress Uniform:

The two BDU's for this will be US Woodland and Desert BDU (Choc-Chip Camo)

US Woodland BDU

US Desert BDU:

The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) was used by the United States Military as their standard uniform for combat situations from the early 1980's to the mid-2000's.
BDUs are common and easy enough to get a hold of a genuine set. This also often makes them quite cheap.

Load Bearing:
For this loadout, there are two load bearing options; ALICE suspender rig and the Load Bearing Vest.

ALICE suspender rig (1980's-1990's):

The All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment (ALICE) system, was adopted by the United States Army in 1973. This rig consistes of a Y-harness (named because of its shape), a pistol belt and a variation of pouches depending on operational requirements.

Load Bearing Vest (1990's)

The Load Bearing Vest (LBV) was introduced in the 1990's as a replacement for the ALICE Y-harness. The LBV can hold six M16 magazines and two grenades.

Magazine pouches:

ALICE magazine poch holds 3 M16 mags and two M67 grenades.

Canteens:

Water supply

Compass pouch:

Holds military compass

Holster:

The M12 holster fits M1911 and M9 handguns.

First Aid Pouch:

Contains field dressing

ButtPack:
(1970's-1980's)

(1990's)

Contains all field neccesities for up to a 3-day operation.

Headwear:
PASGT Helmet
Nicknamed "K-Pot" for its resemblence to the German World War II helmet. It was the standard issue helmet at the time. A Woodland or Desert BDU helmet cover was also standard issue depending on the deployment environment. A Cat-Eye Band was also worn to identify friendly troops from behind.

Boots:
Full leather "speedlace" USGI boots (1990's):
Designed for European operations the full leather boot has a "lug" sole

Jungle Boots(1980'S-1990'S):
Designed for jungle enviroments these boots saw considerable use through Grenada, Panama, Iraq, Bosnia and Kosovo. The green canvas version saw use up until Panama where it was replaced by the Black canvas version. Both the black and the sand versions saw action in the Gulf war.

Gloves:
US flight gloves

Goggles:
Either SDW (Sand, Dust, Wind) or T800 goggles.

SDW:

T800:

Weapons:

Assault rifles:

M16A2:

The M16A2 was the standard issue rifle for the US Military at the time. The A1 version was also used up until Operation Just Cause in Panama (1989). M203 grenade launchers would also be issued to the grenadier.

Many airsofters (including myself) use the Airsoft M16A3 because the A2 is harder to come by. (Note the detachable carrying handle/rear iron sight)

XM177:
The XM177 OR CAR-15 saw some use until it was replaced by the M4 Carbine in 1994.

M4 Carbine (1994-)
Designed to be a more compact version of the M16.

Support weapons:

M60(1980's-1990's):
The E3 version of this light machine saw wide use with the US military throughout the 80's and 90's.

M240:
The M240 saw use alongside the M60.

M249 Minimi:
The M249 was introduced in 1984 to bolster automatic firepower in a squad.

Sniper Rifles:

M40A1(1980's/1990's):
Used by the United States Marine Corps, the bolt action M40A1 was introduced in the 1970's. It served as the Marine Corps primary weapon system until the 2000's where it was replaced by the M40A3.

M21(1980's):
The M21 was used by the US Army as its primary sniper weapon system until it was replaced by the M24 SWS IN 1988.

M24 SWS(1990's):
The military version of the Remington 700, the US Army adopted it over the M21 for it's snipers.

The Complete loadouts:

Desert:

During the Gulf WAR in 1991, Nighttime Desert camo was sometimes used by SEALs and other members of the military. It was developed to better hide the user against night optical devices.

Woodland:

Conclusion:
I hope you enjoyed this guide. I put a lot of time and effort into it. All the gear can be found on Ebay or even your local surplus store. Hopefully it will help you build your own 1980's'1990's loadout. Good luck :tup:

See less See more
#30 ·
Hello all,
I just wanted to add some additional infor about US military boots.

American Military Boots
(Mildew & Water Resistant, DMS, Speed-Lacing, Black Combat Boots)

The US "Combat Boots, Mildew & Water Resistant, Direct Molded Sole (DMS)" were used by the US Armed Forces for about 20 years, from 1984 to 2004, when the United States Army transitioned from M81 Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) and Desert Camouflage Uniform (DCU) worn in the 1980s - 1990s, to the current US Army Combat Uniform (ACU) and Flame-Resistant Army Combat Uniform (FRACU - flame-retardant variant of the ACU).

More info and clickeable pics can be found on:
American Military Boots
(Mildew & Water Resistant, DMS, Speed-Lacing, Black Combat Boots)

US "Jungle" Boots with "Panama"-type out-soles

The Third Pattern "jungle" boots with "Panama"-type sole were produced en-masse from 1967 and later, when the "jungle" boots were given OG107 nylon-webbing canvas tops in place of cotton duck. Besides more thick nylon webbing reinforcement stripes on the sides of the uppers, this model boots featured Spike Protective "Panama" mud-clearing out-sole.

Though the "Panama" Sole with spike protection was approved in 1966 along with the new spike plate being added to the "Vibram®" sole, the production of such boots started only from circa mid 1967, perhaps due to the extensive process required to make new molds and because the manufacturers of the U.S. "jungle" boots still had existing contracts for the boots with old-type sole. From 1969 the manufacturing of boots uses "Panama" out-soles exclusively. Despite these production dates, the number of "Panama" sole boots never reached the issue numbers of the "Vibram®" sole boots during the Vietnam War.
More info and clickeable pics can be found on:
US "Jungle" Boots with "Panama"-type out-soles

#31 · (Edited)
incorrect info

They did not wear flight gloves they wore black leather gloves and they also used the m60e1 not the e3 and the 249 was the full stock. They used black drop-leg holsters not od green. They still used the od green boots in the 90's and you should tell the make of the boots. And your "but-pouch" isn't what was used the but-pouch had ALICE clips and it connected to the Y frame in the back and a lot of solders used them because they were easier than using the ALICE pack. The PASGT helmets were called k-pots because they were made of kevlar like the helmets of ww2, Korea, and Vietnam were called steel pots. I have no idea where you got your info but I suggest that you do more research than you did.

#32 ·
incorrect info 2

Some troops DID USE the flight gloves, especially those in specialized units like SEALs, Rangers, and SF. Special units had a lot of leeway when it came to choosing their own gear. In the 90's and 2000's, specialized gear manufacturer's started cropping up. Some troops made their own web gear. Eagle Industries and London Bridge Trading came about in the 90's or before. American Body Armor came about in the 80's and they had many specialized vests. There was also PASGT body armor. Delta had it's own set of gear entirely. The first M4 didn't have a removable carry handle, it had A2 sights. The 727 had A1 sights. Bolle and Smith were also popular goggles. As for camo, the "chocolate chip" six color didn't get used beyond 1991. It didn't blend well and the military quickly went to the Tri-Color "coffee stain" desert camo pattern officially called DCU's. During Mogadishu some of the helmets did still have 6-color helmet covers. During Panama, Delta was also wearing flight suits in OD with the black Protec skateboard helmets. They later switched to the B2. The SEALs also used the original helmet. They had the Protec Ace during Mogadishu or a style similar to it. The Delta's and SEALs as well as USAF CCT's/FO's had black tactical vests. The night desert camo was of limited issue. During testing in the Gulf War, some Marines noticed that overwhites actually worked better at blending in when viewed through nightvision. The night pattern only works as a naked eye pattern. The 1911 was used up until late 80's/early 90's by regular troops. The 1911 was and is still used by select units. The M733 was used by the USMC in early 90's. The High Standard HDM and the AAC Amphibian were also used by Force Recon and SEALs respectively. The Mk 23 Mod O handgun was used by SF and SEALs. The USP45 Compact Tactical replaced it in use by the SEALs. The Sig P226 is also used by them since mid 90's. The jungle boots with OD were used up until 2006-ish. The SPEAR system is the predecessor to the MOLLE system and was used starting around 1995. The old ALICE equipment was still being used in 2005, and we were finally getting rid of our old stocks of M16A1's in 2006. The A3 could be had with or without a removable carry handle. The difference was the trigger. The A2 had the new barrel, flash hider, sights, and handguards with a three round burst. The A3 was the same but was full auto like the A1. This is because of the burst trigger's varying trigger pulls depending on which tooth of the cam wheel the disconnector happened to be sitting on. The full auto trigger didn't have this problem and therefore was easier to maintain groupings. It was used only by Rangers and SEALs. The A4 was an A2 with removable carry handle and KAC RIS. The M60 stuck around until 2010-ish. After the adoption of the M240, it was only issued to special units who refused to give it up. The last designation of the M60 was from the M60A4 to Mk 43 Mod 0. The M249 SAW was available with a collapsible stock as early as 1993 during a testing exercise known as Operation Urban Warrior. It was known as the M249 SPW or Para. The K-Pot was called a K-Pot because of the Kevlar after the M1 was called the steel pot but was designed after the German Fritz of WW2.

#36 ·
I can't remember the full kit list but I do know it was ridiculous as I borrowed a whole metric ton of gear.

Military camouflage Camouflage Squad Military uniform Marines

From memory that's a real Leupold scope on the SR25 (with Harris bipod and LAM) full Raid-modded BDUs, Altama desert boots, SIG P226 as a sidearm.....but I've forgotten most of the items and I can't find any other pictures. I never did another loadout as I was fairly uncomfortable wearing gear I hadn't earned and of course, the cost would have been astronomical to do it respectfully.

Another couple of points.....the site I was at wasn't too keen on us using DMRs in urban settings as they were paranoid about the effectiveness to lock down areas and the potential for a player to jump through the door just as I was shooting and take 2.3j to the dome. I never had occasion to experience the latter, but the former was certainly true and it can't have been any fun to play against our team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.