Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this one is something I been cooking in my head for a while now and I think is time to unleash the beast.

Things that are a must for this build:

-Gas blow back bolt carrier.
-Gas blow back reciprocating outer barrel.
-Co2 in gas magazine "no cartrige" unless is big enough.
-Steel body with composite steel barrel
-Steel internals
-Adjustable buttstock cheek rest and monopod.
-RIS top for any aftermarket scopes and bottom for a good bipod.

I been thinking on the 8mm bbs? and actually maybe even make some nerf like 20mm bullets? <I would love some input on this one here..

I already made the drawing and this is something so big maybe I would have to make the bolt carrier on graphite/metal hibrid or something, maybe even aluminum because the BC is like 2" by 2" by "12.

Being so big is one of the main reasons to make the whole airsoft gun with plastic incorporated on the barrel and trigger box.

I will make the body of the gun with stainless sheet metal and tubing. Don't really know about using plastic for this? because the BC is really big and need something really strong so it won't fly out the back and cause some damage lol.
I might just for kicks make a all plastic version but will have to test it from a distance.

The lightness on this consept gun is so actually everyone maybe 15 and up can experience this thing. Is going to be heavy but not unbearably heavy Plus some serious kick.

Now there is no real steel version of this gun yet. The ones I have seen are not too pretty for the eye so this is a all new concept thing that I will love to incorporate to this beloved sport of AIRSOFT <3

A plus for the special operator units out there ;}

Please speak your mind, any help from you guys will be much appreciated and recognized.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm curious as to why you want to do something like this? I'm not trying to be hostile but I really don't see how this will in anyway be useful or realistic for the actual game. 20mm are meant for trucks and armoured personal carriers or for 1500m+ shots and neither of these things are very wide-spread in airsoft currently.

I think a 20mm would have to be at-least 30lbs realistically but sure you can trim it down to maybe 10lb to 20lb? Even those weights are silly its still shooting plastic and not very far at that for the 30"-60" barrel...

There is the South-African designed NTW-20 which interchangeably uses 14.5mm/20mm cartridges and its bolt action and looks like a mutated Barrett 99A1 (side-fed and doesn't look all that bad)

Sure you could convince people at Nat Ops to list it as an anti-vehicle weapon but I don't think anyone wants to carry around that weight (remember a lot of 20mm/even 14.5mm are made to split in 2 for 2 man teams to carry)

I love the idea but I honestly would not go any further than that as far as airsoft is concerned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I know. The weight is a mayor factor. That might be something aimed at just a few guys out there. I say 10lb would not be too bad, but i will know for sure ones is done how much it would weight. Yeah that is the point also to have a 2 person team so one keeps the ammo and could serve as a spoter as well. The rifle will come appart small enought to put in a gun case.

On the range area I was thinkink on something like the nerf bullets to be long like a real bullet so I can have the internal rifle barrel in aluminum and the barrel external in carbon fiber or fiber glass. that way I can push the range a bit more. Now the bullet will have a plastic weight inside to not fly away from the wind.

Eather that or maybe make a 20mm bb? but that would probably really hurt somebody. I'm planning on keeping the fps at 400 so it won't be too hot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nerf launchers are pretty awesome indoors, I've used the rocket ones and shot them up to 100yards indoors like a mortor. I was thinking an 8mm rifle would be pretty great, especially as GB makes .45g weights, I would most definitely be interested to see if you can squeeze out to maybe an extra 150feet with such a projectile using HPA. I would rather see a HPA set-up than a c02 one simply because of the consistency that you get out of HPA it would be worth the extra weight.

Note: I just weighed my AICS and its currently at 13.22lb with all its gizmo's attached, magazine inserted + regulator in stock. I would say that is the limit maybe even 15l> I honestly can't see any shrimpy 15y/o wanting to skirmish with a 10+lb gun even that seems to be quite heavy.

Something I noticed with nerf guns is that the longer barrels actually impaired the range on the projectiles but that might just be because of the loose bore and light weight of a nerf round.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seen it man that one looks pretty cool. I think the one in Halo was inpired by the NTW 20mm Also barrett make one with explosive rounds the XM109. Now that is more like the one I want o build semi auto and with the bottom magwell. the mag will be plastic too so it wont be so heavy. Hope fully I can get on this thing right after I'm done with peoples work

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
inthetallgrass said:
bobgengeskahn said:
I'm pretty sure the answer is 'Cause it's cool'

It would be a cool replica, nothing else though.
Exactly : D

I'll really try and make it accurate, the barrel is really long so that might help a bit. Also when I said nerf bullets i mean a abs core with the painted foam outer layer so is more aerodynamic. Or just stick to the 8mm or 6mm bb bullet? You tell me.

If I do go for the bb's, I will be using a type of the R-hop which I hear is great but will find out when the rifle is done for testing. I'm making them all just to test the new conscept.

One other reason lso will be, is for role playing.
In the team I play we do a lot of weird many objectives fast games. Like rescue the hostage/capture the pacage/disasemble the bomb/take out the opforce all in the same game so I figured take out the tank or take out the tanker or something will come in handy and will look prettier with a long beast than just a missle or granade launcher or spud gun lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that is what I wanted to do rifle the internal wall of the barrel but might have to do with jus the aluminum barrel instead of the steel one so is lighter to carry around.

I say a 1/4" foam the core abs plastic for is cheap unless I find some bio plastic or maybe insert a steel pellet inside so at the end of the game someone can colmb the area with a magnet to pic up the bullets lol Kinda like a metal detector : D

I think I'll just stick to the abs core first for testing untill I can get a hold on some biodegradable plastic and foam recipe if there is not some product out there already wich I'm sure there is. I'm looking at cost wise so cheap to buy a bag of 50 bullets lets say at $10? Is that too expencive.. considering the size of the bullets?

·
Registered
807 Posts
madhellsing said:
Yeah, that is what I wanted to do rifle the internal wall of the barrel but might have to do with jus the aluminum barrel instead of the steel one so is lighter to carry around.
Back when I was looking into casting my own ammo molds I found that there are a TON of polymers that are biodegradiable that you can use, both injection molded and 2 part epoxy based, just use Google.

Also, if you're going to rifle a barrel, this might be of interest: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/how-to-rifle-metal-barrels-t18699.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holly S, thanks man that was awesome!

I will look into that plastic and foam. Wat color should I make the bullets? just white or some neon color lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thta one is really cool as well but the other one is more like what I will be using it for, The barrel for this gun is aluminum internally and plastic on the outer side of the barrel but eather way awesome to see.

I think the cheapest way to make the core of the bullets will be to buy some corn starch powder and mixed with polyester so the will be biodegradable. not sure about the foam though. I found some sites but they look like I need to get a quote which might be like thousands to buy a wholw lot of it so I think the best way to go will be to make my own.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dark green/ranger green/OD I dunno about everyone else but I'd much rather not be able to see the pellets when walking around and rather let them sit invisible in the vegetation to degrade.

Unless you plan to run around collecting up each individual shot. Then neon fluorescent glow-in-the-dark pink would be fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the barrel!!! I will start making the tool to get them rifling grooves going. The more grooves the more acurate the gun will be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.