Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the question: Which is better, 6.01 or 6.03?
Sorry if there was another thread about this I couldn't find it. But what I did find was the physics behind it. But I've also seen videos of 6.01s out preforming 6.03s dramatically. So please only first hand experience or show me a new video proving your point. Also cost is not such a factor as the 6.01 is only $15 more, I'm looking for purely performance.

The only reason I ask this question is because when I read the physics behind the 6.01 vs 6.03, but when AirsoftGi did their tests, the groupings we much much better.

Thank you, and again I apologize if there is already a thread on this I looked around and couldn't find one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it had, but can you redirect me to a thread that will give me some reasons? I'm really just want some proof, because right now I'm pretty confused on which to buy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the 6.03, so it doesn't really matter to me anymore, but just for future people I think it'd be wise to sticky this. But this leads me to another question, if the 6.01s are bad, then why did AirsoftGI's video give visual proof of them them performing better? I'm just trying to help future people, sorry if i sound like an ass.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
No need to really stickie it as this information is all over the board. If someone really wants to find something out they should be able to do some searching around. And you do not sound like an ass ;) I see what you are trying to say, and the fact that you said it means you care about the forum.

You made the right choice by going with the 6.03mm barrel. Its not that the 6.01's are bad, they are just not what a sniper is looking to put into his rifle. There is a more likely chance of the 6.01 jamming up, and needs to be cleaned more often. Airsoft gi is just trying to promote the barrel, and they were not shooting from very far away if I remember correctly? :)

Overall, 6.03 is a good choice, and you should be fairly happy with it.

Good luck with your rifle,
Fuzzy

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Like I read on another forum...this isn't real steel barrels where tighter is better. You need to remember that airsoft guns are just pricked blow guns.

Tighter will hurt more than it will help. Because at a point you will not see any accuracy improvement over a 6.03 and a 6.01. You will see any where from a 10-30fps gain with a tighter barrel. Now this is good if you you want an uber fast rifle..but as we all know you don't need 600fps to be a good sniper.

That and when they were testing the barrels what was the other barrel? And was it fired under the same conditions and speed? Like others have said it is.a business and they need a paycheck as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, both of you are right. ASGI wasn't shooting from that far away, and they very well could have been using smaller BBs. So thank you for answering my question and I was wondering if it'd be smart to put Teflon tape on my inner barrel to help with barrel vibrations?

Oh and to Woogie, Yes. They were indoors I think, and they just swapped out the barrel, and if the tighter bore increases speed then no they weren't shooting at the same speed but i think thats uncontrollable.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I just wrapped electrical tape around my barrel until it fit snuggly in the outer barrel. That and I had two other barrel spacers that helped limit vibrations. Alittle lube around the tape helped slide it in the barrel easier.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It would take A LOT of teflon tape, and I dont think that it would stand up in the barrel as much. I like the electrical tape because if you wrap the last few layers extra tight and lube it before you put it in it will expand a little once its installed and get really snug in there :)

also, I am thinking about replacing the 6.01 i foolishly put in my ASR not to long ago with a 6.03. I have heard some talk about brands being better than others? So which brands should we stay away from? I polish and wax my barrels as is, but for my particular rifle madbull makes a barrel that Echo1 advertises as a replacement for it and I have not heard anything about the madbull python barrels. they are black which makes me think that they are painted, and paint peals... so im not sure if that is something I should look into.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well just so you guys know, I'm running an aeg so my inner barrel is already pretty snug with the outer barrel, but there is a little wobble. How should I tape my barrel though? (like which direction should the tape go?)

And bobgen, I wouldn't be too worried about paint peeling on an inner barrel. I mean if you scratch it against something it will more than likely scrap off, But if you don't rub it against anything it shouldn't peel because it has very little if any sun exposure which can make paint peel like crazy.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Actually, I see why Bobgengeskahn is worried about that. When he fires a shot, the bb will rub against the barrel, and evike even said, paint will peel off and come out of the barrel. However, I have one of the madbull barrels and I was pretty impressed with it. I sold it to a friend (did not use m4 anymore) and he has had no problems with it. So I would not worry much about the paint peeling and affecting your shots. Here are a list of good brands for barrels in my opinion.
1. PDI is the best but not necessary
2. Prometheus (I have a 6.03 and love it)
3. Matrix makes one similar to prometheus (callled matrix/prometheus) My friend has one and it is really nice and durable
4. Madbull barrels are nice, I had one for my m4, and it was durable and helped with accuracy too.

However, most of the above are aeg barrels, and I realize you are trying to find one for your particular hop up? Hope this still helps now and for future reference.

Fuzzy

·
Registered
807 Posts
donohoe: if youre running an AEG take a look at Vindis DMR thread thats stickied in the AEG section. that will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know/do to an AEG DMR. but yes, he does use teflon tape to secure the inner barrel on his AEGs. as far as wrapping it in a particular direction I think that will depend on how you are going to twist it to install it...

as far as the barrel goes, it doesnt really matter if its for my APSII hop up. The DBCustom I have in there right now has a universal AEG cut on it so I took a file to it to get it to fit my hop up. Its doable, its just not really preferred lol. but yeah, thanks for the list. I just found out that there are some new shops that opened up around me so I finally have some options to look at! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm jealous. I don't think there is a single airsoft store in Idaho, and if there is one nobody i play with knows about it lol. But thank you for the tip I'll be sure to check it out.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Plain and Simple: A backspinning BB needs free space to continue the spinning, the more friction on it will prohibit the spin. Tighter bore has more friction which makes accuracy and range plummet.

6.03 Stainless or bust. I've used all kinds of different barrels, and nothing has topped my 650mm 6.03 Prometheus.

KM Teflon Barrels suck, and early Madbull aluminum's suck even more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, now I feel more confident about my order. And I'm pretty sure I got a 6.03 stainless, it was a cheaper one, but After i get my new outer barrel, i'll be buying a new 6.03 and i'll be sure to get a good quality TBB.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I am looking at getting a barrel and hop up from x-fire, but they dont have a 6.03... would a 6.04 make that big of a difference in group size? I'm just wondering because the stock barrel was a 6.05... and it seems that if I'm going back to a 6.04 I could just save the money and stick with the .05...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.