Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!!

So I have been wanting to paint my beloved SR25 for the longest time. I wanted to get a bit more of a tactical "feel" while still retaining the overall sexyness of the rifle. Needless to say, Im SUPER impressed with my final product. the tape work went FANTASTICALLY and in general im just even more in love with it. I used a basic rustoleum satin dark toupe base on top of a good cleaning and decent primer. My only problem I am having is the stick. I know with rustoleum, it will only stick SO well. But right now I can easily strip it with just the tiniest scratch of my finger. Im not sure if its because its still slightly tacky (Painted it this morning around 11 and its 11 at night now), the quality of the paint or just the lack of a clear coat. So tell me, should it harden up a bit after letting it sit for a couple days, or can I use a clear coat to help keep it more protected?

If it is a clear coat option, is it necessary to break down the gun again and retape everything and spray it down, or is there a simpler way? Thanks and let me know what you think!!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks awesome. I would have gone with flat khaki myself, but that's just me and my need to have everything matte, even my car:p

As for the adhesion: I never had great adhesion with any spraypaint (Save for automotive paints, acrylic lacquers, Duracoat). It'll look even better when it's worn in ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I expected the paint to be a bit more matte, but its not the end of the world. I liked this darker color a lot more than anything like krylon. Im thinking about tossing a matte clear coat on top of it to protect the color and get it a bit less glossy. Im thinking I could just spray it without having to disassemble the the gun and taping extensively since its a clear coat. Just cover up the more crucial parts like the mag well and I should be good. It wont matter if the black ends up getting a clear coat, it will just make it more durable. Just food for thought though.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I found that the Rustoleum Matte clear coat seemed to gice my gun a more.. grabby feeling. It wasn't as smooth, but it did a pretty good job at keeping the paint protected. It also adds little shine.

I agree, you need a bigass sunshade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found that the Rustoleum Matte clear coat seemed to gice my gun a more.. grabby feeling. It wasn't as smooth, but it did a pretty good job at keeping the paint protected. It also adds little shine.

I agree, you need a bigass sunshade.
So you do like it? My two biggest concerns are the glossy finish it has now and the durability. You said the matte clear coat will make it LESS shiney or adds a small bit?

Other than the Rustoleum, what do you guy recommend for a clear coat? Especially one that reduces gloss significantly and doesnt require me disassembling and retaping the gun?

BTW here are a few more in the daylight!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I like it. I don't know about brands, but a matte clear should dull it a little bit. I'm not sure if you want to do all the extra work, but maybe if you wet sand it a bit with some real super high grit paper that should dull it some too.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
The 2nd pic in the latest pics is the one I like the best bro. There is a little too much shine but I still dig the paintwork none the less. I was going to get an A&K Sr a while back and I ended up not. I finally got to use the one my buddy has and it was pretty sweet. His was the one without the suppressor. I got a few great kills with it then the piston blew out. It was a little heavy but after a few minutes of using it, I didnt really notice it anymore. I am back to thinking I want one,lol.. Thanks for making my brain start back up wanting one again man... Dang it,lol..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I like it. I don't know about brands, but a matte clear should dull it a little bit. I'm not sure if you want to do all the extra work, but maybe if you wet sand it a bit with some real super high grit paper that should dull it some too.
Yeah I put only one base coat on, so sanding might be a bit of a problem unless I go with something INSANELY fine grit (like 1500+). I was also thinking of putting a VERY light dusting of the camo brown to make it look a little dirtier and lighten the gloss a slight bit. All thoughts at this point lol! Hell im thinking I might go back and put another coat of the rustoleum on and see how that goes, or just striping it and starting over. I like the color and the look of the gun, but the gloss and durabilty is whats killing me. Thanks for the feedback again!

EDIT: After doing a slight bit of sanding with a 400 grit piece of sandpaper, It looks even better. I think the base coat, unsanded, was a bit too "grubby" or tacky and caught objects and scraped easier. It still scrapes with a little effort but now that it has a smoother texture, it seems a bit more solid. I like it. I might do another coat or two for added thickness and then just sand it back down to a smooth texture, but it looks and feels great now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.