Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just ordered a CA 300% drop in Cylinder kit with a 380% spring to go with my ca m24. I was wondering if there is any chance of any internals breaking easily and how difficult the cooking will be?

Also, what is the best way to verify that you are getting a correct fps output without using a chronograph? Is there a simple test like, if it punctures the bottom of a coke can it's definitely over a certain amount of fps?

Can you give me an example of the amount i can expect from this upgrade and a some kind of test to see if the fps output is correct?

I would be very happy if you could answer these questions for me, because this issomething i've been wondering for a long time :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Coke can test is an article published over at RedwolfAirsoft.com You'll probably find that info there.

Increasing the stresses on the moving parts is definitely going to wear the other parts faster, otherwise, people would only bother upgrading the barrel, hop, cylinder, and spring. You might be able to get by for a while, but start saving for when the parts DO break.

I can't tell you how fast it'll go, but there are FPS calculators out there. It's not an exact science because of so many variables, like, what weight BB's are you using, what the ambient temperature, what is the altitude where you are shooting, how well did you install it, how good is the seal, etc.

The way I see it, put it together and have someone shoot you bare skin on your back from 50 feet with it. If it hurts a lot, that's good. If you are so scared of the pain to let him shoot you with it again, it's too strong and you shouldn't shoot anyone else with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, with all the gear on such as jacket and vest it wont hurt alot at all, so that sort of test wouldn't really prove anything.

But it should hold up for quite a while with the 380% spring in there? I do have the money and was actually planning on buying the best of the best when the parts i've ordered are starting to break, but nevertheless it is not nice if it breaks after jsut a few magazines.

And for the record, in Sweden a sniper rifle under 200 m/s is never too strong. In the biggest airsoft game we have here (berget) the limit for a sniper is 199 m/s.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
simonpimonpoo said:
And for the record, in Sweden a sniper rifle under 200 m/s is never too strong. In the biggest airsoft game we have here (berget) the limit for a sniper is 199 m/s.
Didn't someone die in one of those games from an intense hand to hand combat action or something?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mosin I heard it was a replication of washbording.

If google is right 199MPS is equal to 650FPS. IMO there isnt a BB on that market that is heavy enough to really keep good accuracy with FPS that high. The only one I can even think of are those .88G ones. I believe those went out awhile back(am I right?). It would be a nice shooter if you found a really heavy BB, but there isnt one that I have seen.

I even think .43's are too light for this spring. Can I ask why you wouldn't just go with the 300% spring?

sticks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reason i didn't go with the 300% spring was because i didnt really buy the ca cylinder kit, but each part on different occasions. When i then had the option to choose between the 300 and the 380 i kinda made a hasty decision

But will the 380% spring be too much for the cylinder/piston/springguide to handle at all or will it work outfine? (i do realise it will probably wear out after some time, but as i've said i wouldn't like it to break apart after just a few shots).

And btw, I thought that guy during the berget 5 game was killed when he fell down a cliff?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Here's the Redwolf guide on 'The Poor Man's Chronograph'

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/BulletDetail?bulletID=34

When I used to use my PDI SPR300 spring it would pierce the bottom center of the can and then proceed through the center of the top as well. I chrono'd it at 520fps with .3's however and I don't feel like doing the math for what that would be with .2's, I'm guessing 600+. Needless to say I never used that in gameplay because our local field velocity limits usually have a cap of 550fps. I now have a Laylax SP150 which puts me at right about 525.5fps with .2's.

I have no experience with CA's upgrades as I have all Laylax internals. Are you still using the stock CA bolt handle, Simon? I'd suggest getting a steel one but it's not completely vital. 380% is A LOT and it will definitely not last as long as the 300% but if you want ridiculous power and are willing to sacrifice longevity then you're all set. If I were you I'd get a solid 500-530fps setup which would last much longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for the reply :) I am planning on upgrading everything in the rifle in the future to the best i can get. I don't really care about longevity for now, i just want to try out the fps and see how it is to play with an fps like that, if it's too strong or not.

I do not have the steel bolt handle, I have the stock one :-/
Will the cooking be difficult with the 380% spring?

PS: I've read up abit on upgrading and it seems as if there is an unwritten rule that you should upgrade your trigger for velocities of over 450?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Where do you play mostly, as part of an association or do you play with a couple friends? Because that should influence your fps decision. You know I think you're the first person I've ever heard say they don't care about longevity.

As for cycling the bolt, yeah it should be pretty tough with the 380%. Like I said, I've never handled the CA drop in kits myself but I doubt CA does a good a job at polishing/finishing their cylinders as PDI, First Factory and other part-specific companies. The surface finishing on your cylinder has a lot to do with how easy it is to cycle your rifle. I started with a Laylax Stainless Steel cylinder which was smooth to begin with, then I bought a Laylax teflon cylinder. The teflon coating makes cycling the action a breeze. I have some doubts on how well it seals though because the coating is a little bumpy. For your needs, I think the CA kit will be fine.

I've been running above 520fps on my stock CA trigger for years. Needless to say, they're tanks. Know your rifle. If you know the parts of your gun (including the trigger assembly) and how they work you'll then be able to spot signs of wear easier. Your 380% spring might reduce the life of your trigger mechanism but I've run a similar spring through mine with no problems.

I'm actually going to be upgrading to a Laylax trigger soon, I'll tell you know how it feels with high velocity springs and if it's worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run a custom Ca m24 at 731 fps with a .2 with a custom zero trigger with stregthened return latch springs, pdi cylinder and handle , ff spring guide 3 element piston, custom milled m24 brass cylinder head, sp210, brass fixed hop unit, red prometheos rubber and nub, 6.03 prometheous barrel custom barrel spacers, all screws replaced with m8 and recever re tapped.
I have got kills out to 150m with this set up with a .43 non teflon and can lob a .87 110m

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
dreadlock please read our forum rules before posting again. We do not accept necro posting, aka reviving threads/topics that have the last post being two months old or older. If you have something you want to post about a topic that's too old, then start a new thread with your opinion. =) Since this is your first post I'll go nice on you and just remind you that we have rules that you should read first.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
It's okay, just don't do it again. If you feel that you'd like to discuss about it then please do so. =) And please remember to write accordingly to english grammar. Start sentence with a Capital letter and so on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok are (or Have) any of you guys run higher than 731fps with a .2 (I acheave 500-530fps with a .43) As this is as high as I can run with a sp210 and above upgrades. As I said previously this is capable of kills out to to 150m 499ft measured. But I am aiming for the 1000fps target. I am running a 6.03 prometheous 509mm barrel but do not wish to go tighter or longer as this decreaces accuracy.
Sam

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Do a compleatly new thread, not a post. No more posting into this thread. Post after me in here and get a warning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.