Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my gun on the way, I've realized that I can't fire a gun without a scope.

I'm going to admit right now that I have no understanding of the different statistics involved in the evaluation of optics, and I'm sure that whatever decision I made just now would probably be a bad one.

The only things I'm sure of are that I shouldn't spend over $50 and that matte black is the color to get. I can guess that the difference between a 4 x 32 scope and a 3 - 9 x 40 scope is the effective range of clear zoom that the scope can provide, but beyond that I'm going in blind.

Does anyone have any advice on scope selection for a new guy?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with cheese. It's usually just nice to have the option, and it helps if you want to "scope" out the situation before moving in :p.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I use 3-9x40. During a battle only ever use 4x because it's a larger field of view. Like cheese said, if you are doing recon it's easier to have higher magnification than that though. I used to use 3-9x30 and thought it was great, then I got the 40mm lens and suddenly the 30 was small, Now I think of my 40 the same as I did my 30 before. To explain what all this means, the 3-9 part means 3x magnification to 9x magnification adjustable zoom. he x40 part means 40mm objective lens, objective lens being the eyepiece. There are also illuminated scopes, in which you get an led backlight on the crosshairs.

·
Administrator
6,194 Posts
On my big gun I prefer scopes with big objective lens like the 4-12x50, but for airsoft you don't need big scopes, some guys skirmish with ACOG's or even red dot's!

I'd suggest not to buy a big scope and because of the weight...

Wolf

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
For some reason When I added clay to my rifle to silence it and brought it up to eight pounds, I still had no trouble carrying it for long periods of time. It just depends on how strong you are and how long you can carry things. But for airsoft, since we are working with 100 yards, not several thousand, you really only need a cheap scope. On my old well mb-10 I stuck iron sights on it and am still just as accurate as with the scope. Also, like cheese said, the larger scope just means more for your enemy to see.

·
Registered
296 Posts
But they can also see your black hole better.
This is true. I would guess its also more expensive.

However I put a scrim net over my lens and even with mesh goggles on I have a decent sight picture. A little darker but ok. However this way there is nothing to see...

I think that I might get a finer mesh (more like a face veil) to cover the lens which I think would be better. Not sure why noone does this really.

Maybe a face veil and the mesh would not give a good enough picture but this is not an issue for me as I cover my whole face with mesh mask and goggles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A 50mm objective is mainly for low light conditions, like inthetallgrass said, the extra 10ish mms let in more light. Also, it gives you more field of view for any given magnification. A sunshade or ARD will reduce the chances of your scope glaring and giving away your position also.

That said ARDs, and netting makes the image kind of blur and "fuzz out" so you will lose some clarity. But for the ranges we are talking thats hardly a problem.

I agree on going for a variable 3-9 though, since it can double as a spotting scope.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I've decided to go with a 3-9x40 I found at my local Wal-mart. Hopefully it won't be too big and clunky, but I'm sure that the variable zoom will be worth its weight in gold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.