Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

A-TACS FG Mamba inspired Ghillie Build thread

68K views 102 replies 36 participants last post by  Razinger 
#1 ·
I am in love with the A-TACS FG Mamba suit from the guys over at TacticalConcealment.com but the almost $800.00 price-tag is out of my league.

Couple the price with the sizes, I am a big guy and an XL isn't going to cut it, this means I will try to make what I will call a 'Ghillie suit base inspired by the professionals from Tac Concealment'.

I am making one for myself and hope if they ever see this they go with the 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery', and don't sue me lol!

This will be an ongoing project so I decided to do a build thread for it. Starting with what we want to try and replicate:

First Step will be sourcing the materials.

See less See more
#56 ·
Not trying to be a smart ass, but if you don't have the patience to build a ghillie, how do you expect to have the patience to snipe? A hand made ghillie will almost always perform better, because it is made to the specific environment you are playing in.

#57 ·
True, but I find sniping to be entertaining while constructing a ghillie suit seems like it would be a PITA, although a couple of my friends have built one and maybe I could pay them to build me one, since we live in the same area.

#60 · (Edited)
Camera guy got a shot of me walking out of the woods at the end of a rotation at Operation: Final Resolution a few weeks ago.

Hood is down and you can see the mesh balaclava I made. I keep adding to this thing, just sewed some loops on the pants from webbing to attach my Russian suspenders, keeps things in place better when crawling.

Side note: What do you guys do to clean your ghillies. We have only been playing since March 1 but I already have 12 weekends in this thing and it is starting to reek! I am thinking of hosing it down then hanging it on a line to dry, any other suggestions?

#61 ·
I thought the first pic had a night vision thing in the scope, until I zoomed in and realized it is just a camera lol. I like how you mounted it.

I never wash my ghillie. If it gets stinky, just hang it outside for a few days. Doesn't matter what the weather is. Right now its home is in a duffel bag in my closet lol.

#62 ·
If you have a fire outside anytime soon take your ghillie and hold it in the major line of smoke for abut 5 minutes. Gets the smell right out for me.
Jut make sure it doesn't catch on FIRE!!!

#63 ·
Won't that just make it smell like smoke? I love the smell of wood smoke, but you don't want your ghillie smelling like that.

#65 ·
Okay, I've been working on getting one of these going in MARPAT but have been wondering about the pattern for the jacket and coat, as I don't want to buy a uniform set and use that. I would like to make it completely...
So my question is what pattern did you use to make yours?

#71 ·
I would like to remind you all those scents in soaps totally have a smell and what. I can detect them on the field, that is I can smell the enemy coming if he reeks of tide or spent the night in a hotel room and showered in the morning. But, BO is also smellable (worst was a guy who smelled like baking early baking bread). Smoke baths are cleansing, but they too have a small. Try to be neutral. Cedar makes a nice deodorant with a pinch and a rub.

#72 ·
I ended up hanging it outside for a few days and it has no smell now. I read about using sunlight to get rid of the smell from kitchen sponges and gave it a try, worked great.

The suns rays have some pretty powerful disinfectant properties. You see the sun is a good source of ultraviolet radiation that helps attack and kill the bacteria growing in the sponge.
Have you ever put a rug out in the sun, or hung your clothes out to dry in the sun. They come in smelling super fresh right? The sun helps disinfect and kill any odors or bacteria that might be in the clothes or rugs. This is one reason why they smell so fresh.

#76 ·
Put your ghillie in a garbage bag, tie it up and throw it in your freezer for a couple days. That will get rid of the smell. Freezing kills the bacteria that causes the odour. Cyclists do this with their CamelPak bladders.

#78 ·
Did a little project last night inspired by a skid pad I saw on Facebook.

The outer layer of the skid pad is 1000D CORDURA® NYLON, A-TACS FG CAMO™, the inner layer is a padding material, and the gun side layer is POLY/COTTON RIPSTOP, A-TACS FG CAMO™. Tan 550 Para Chord makes up the rest, with a TOASTER CORDLOC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.