Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post here aside from my introduction post however this place is wealth of knowledge and I hope you guys can help me out!

So, I have a JG bar and this is my first sniper build I'm really comfortable with working on AEG's but this is a new thing for me.

I have purchased an AA VSR hop up, ZCI 433mm Barrel (Which I have r hopped), a 70 hardness maple leaf VSR bucking and a prometheus flat hop nub, I have 1 hard and 1 soft. I've read on here that the softer one will be better for this application and this is the one I have tested with and plan to carry on using. Everything else is bone dead stock apart from some teflon tape on the cylinder head and during testing I had it around the bucking/barrel also.

I put the rifle together and started to play around with the hop settings and even with the hopup completely off I was getting some overhop. I was using .3's for this test as I dont have any heavier ammo at the moment. (.36's on the way which may be the answer I'm looking for).

So, here's my issue which I will demonstrate with some pictures I have taken.

The R hop went well, BB's roll past it without issue, the VSR bucking was a pain to turn inside out but I managed it and the BB's also roll past the R hop patch with the bucking on. I then noticed that the when the bucking is on the barrel it seems to flair out at the end (see picture). I tried to combat this with wrapping teflon tape around the end very tightly to try and pull it back in.

So I sprayed a little silicone oil onto the bucking so it slipped into the AA chamber with relative ease. Then I noticed that there is some obvious pinching of the bucking. (See pictures)

With the barrel inserted into the hopup, I popped a BB into the chamber and pushed it past the black catches within the chamber. (No idea of the technical terms for these). The BB would now no longer through and out of the barrel I had to apply a little bit of force to get it through. (I didn't actually have the hopup arm engaged at this point).

I have sanded a little more off of the inside of the Rhop patch, sanded a little more from the inside of the bucking to see if this would help the BB roll past in the chamber. It didn't. I have not reassembled the rifle to test fire it after doing this though as I'm petrified of stripping the notoriously bad quality JG bar 10 screws and ruining my rifle without rectifying my issue.

What is causing this overhop? Is it my BB weight? I also have no idea if the BB SHOULD roll past when the barrel is in the AA chamber, however my guess is that this is something to do with the overhop. Alternatively the light BB's i'm using or a mixture of the two.

I hope this post made sense and I hope the pictures will help out with demonstrating my point.

Thanks in advance and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
That barrel looks like an AEG barrel, and it lacks the grooves that the forwards lips of a VSR bucking holds onto. That is likely why you are getting a flared outer lip. In the process of teftlon taping it down, some of that tape probably went over the bucking and over the barrel window which means its more pressure onto the bucking and probably pressing down when it shouldn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That barrel looks like an AEG barrel, and it lacks the grooves that the forwards lips of a VSR bucking holds onto. That is likely why you are getting a flared outer lip. In the process of teftlon taping it down, some of that tape probably went over the bucking and over the barrel window which means its more pressure onto the bucking and probably pressing down when it shouldn't.
To my knowledge you can use AEG barrels in this hopup alongside a VSR bucking to rhop? Please don't tell me that isn't true! haha.

Will sanding these lips off alleviate me of this problem? (well, one of them!)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Theoretically, yes. That would allow the bucking to fit in the chamber. You will need quite a lot of teflon tape to fix the airseal though, but it should work.

VSR buckings/barrels are not very good R-hop material. It is a lot easier on an AEG barrel/bucking. In a VSR I would just put a maple leaf in :hehe:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I had gone down that route now to be honest. However I will try and tinker with this to get it to sing. However if not I will buy a VSR barrel and maple leaf combo.

I know it's the Concave nub, but what bucking goes with it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - sanded the lips off the bucking, put her back together this morning and test fired it, no more over hop! She shoots sweet now.
The Teflon tape seems to have counteracted the sanding of the VSR lips.
Need to chrono her first but all seems well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Could you put some images of the bucking?
It is an issue that I'm facing. My gun is overhoping with no hop down force at all.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you put some images of the bucking?
It is an issue that I'm facing. My gun is overhoping with no hop down force at all.

Thanks a lot!
It's sat in the title at the moment and I don't intend to take it apart again until my next game as I'm happy with the performance after fixing my issue.

Are you using a similar set up to me?

If so I flipped the bucking inside out and sanded off the mound and ridge inside and sanded off the lips so it would sit on the AEG barrel. Make sure to Teflon tape the end of the bucking to the barrel but make sure you don't obscure the section where the hop is applied as this will cause overhop as somebody mentioned further up this thread.

Use the softest nub you can find also.

And make sure a bb can roll past your r hop patch with ease when out of the rifle as if it can't the patch is too tight and the inside of the patch needs to be sanded in the barrel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the exact same issue but i'm using a VSR PDI barrel in an AA hop. Without any hop applied and using 0.40g BBs it just goes straight up in the air.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the exact same issue but i'm using a VSR PDI barrel in an AA hop. Without any hop applied and using 0.40g BBs it just goes straight up in the air.
It sounds like you need to sand the inside of your r hop patch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts