Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since there is not much online for the Adaptive Armament line of rifles, I thought I would add this post.

I wanted to build a mid-range DMR and decided to use an M4 for the platform. I found the Adaptive Armament Scout rifle on closeout from a bankrupt airsoft business for $140 (reg$245) and couldn't pass it up.

The AA Scout is a well built rifle and performed perfectly right out of the box. Internals are SHS and is V2 Standard. The ambi. fire-selector is the same as what's used on VFC rifles. Further specifications can be viewed on the Adaptive Armament website.

I wanted to boost the rifles performance just a little in hopes it will out range an average AEG 'battle rifle' so I added a few modifications. I wanted to build a rifle that was a good compromise between power and reliability and in time I'll learn whether I have succeeded??? At the time of this writing the rifle has about 1000-rounds through it and is performing perfectly.

The gearbox is stock other then I shimmed it to achieve good gear lash between the bevel and the pinion. Also shimmed for gear teeth mesh, and proper side-to-side 'play'.

The stock motor is an SHS Standard High Torque 125K and on a 3-cell LiPo is more than fast enough. I do not notice any heat build-up in the grip.

I added an M125 (stock M110) irregular pitch spring, type-O (non-ported) cylinder, o-ring nozzle, Maple Leaf 'Mr. Hop' packing and Maple Leaf 'Omega' nub. The rifle 'hops' .32g BBs easily with plenty of adjustment left on the hop-up dial.

I should also mention that the 'lips' of the ML packing rubber were too long for the hop-up chamber. I had to sand the 'lips' down just a little bit to get bbs to push into the hop-up chamber from the magazine. Also, sealed the cylinder head with a couple wraps of teflon tape over the 0-ring. I trimmed excess tape so it does not extend forward of the cylinder (fitment concern).

I shimmed the inner barrel to fit perfectly in the muzzle end of the outer barrel. Also sealed the packing rubber to the barrel with Pliobond.

The rifle is very accurate and BBs fly perfectly down range with no left or right curve.

As of this writing I have not chronographed the rifle (I have a sky screen type Chrono) but will add to this thread once I get that info.

I am very pleased with the performance of the rifle. If the rifle breaks-down or anything changes I will add that info. to this post.

Summary:
Barrel - Stock, 6.03, 393mm length.
Packing - ML 'Mr. Hop' 60* (yellow).
Nub - ML 'Omega'.
Spring - M125 Irregular Pitch.
Cylinder - Type-O, non-ported, stainless.
Nozzle - Aluminum, O-ring, 21.3mm length.
Battery - 11.1V (3-cell), 1200mah, LiPo, Deans.
Magazine - A&K, short mid-cap, 110-round.
BBs - BLS, Bio, .32gram.
Scope - UTG 'Bugbuster', 3-9x32, side-wheel parallax, mil-dot reticle.
Rings - UTG, 1.4" top of rail to center-of-scope.
Suppressor - 32mm x 150mm.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Looks awesome!!!!!

I was actually considering that gun about a year ago, but I didn't like the look of the curved end of the handguard, so I bought the CYMA Platinum 14.5 M-LOK M4 instead.
It also appeared to have SHS internals, which after about 13K rounds I sold as I had no prior gearbox experience and I couldn't put it back together lol.

I probably would have had the same outcome with the Adaptive Armament one, just would have saved $50 or something like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SS!

I agree, the Cyma Platinum and the Adaptive Armament rifles look to be very comparable. Did you have long service from your Cyma Platinum?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I had about 12K rounds with frequent mag dumps, and generally beating it up.
I eventually heard a loud grinding and it would no longer fire, but I think that was just because the motor placement screw had backed out so the little gear thing was barely engaging.

I was basically buying the gun for the body, and I planned on running it to that point anyways, so I wasn't disappointed.

I would definitely recommend it, just stick to a 7.4V battery and exchange the bucking, it should be pretty good

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ideally you would take it apart, shim it and make sure everything fits together properly. Then life should be pretty long.
I think it has active breaking considering that you have the option for double tap so overspin which is the issue with the cyma platinum should be less of an issue here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We had a good overcast sky today and not too cold (for our area) at 38F so I decided to Chrono the Adaptive Armament Scout DMR rifle build.

Was a little surprised that the rifle shoots 'hotter' than I expected. But then, since I am new to airsoft guns my component choices were 'best guess' based on research off the net and not any actual experience.

At any rate, I can now add velocity readings for the above rifle build.

Velocity was taken with the 'hop' set for .32bbs and I didn't change it for the .20bbs.

.20 Gram - 488fps (average of 10-shots).

.32 Gram - 384fps (average of 10-shots).

We are at an elevation of 4200'.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It affects range though, less air molecules and such to cause resistance which would reduce power and overall range.
But, higher elevations tend to be windy more times than not, so your effective range is probably similar.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Actually, I may be wrong on that. Technically, the air is getting pressurized in that split second time when the piston is travelling, so maybe it had an effect?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I did find this article regarding AEG velocity with regard to air density change at altitude. But, since I have no experience with these airsoft AEG rifles I don't personally know what is correct on this subject??? Just sharing the link.

https://foxairsoft.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/effects-of-altitude-on-velocity/
Here's a basic synopsis:

When the trigger is pressed, a motor initiates a gearset in the gearbox. The final gear, called the sector gear, has a half set of teeth which pick up the teeth of a piston, pulling it back and compressing a spring. Once the half set of teeth run out, the piston slams forward, compressing all the air through a cylinder head and nozzle. During this process, the nozzle chambers a bb into the hopup chamber. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a basic synopsis:

When the trigger is pressed, a motor initiates a gearset in the gearbox. The final gear, called the sector gear, has a half set of teeth which pick up the teeth of a piston, pulling it back and compressing a spring. Once the half set of teeth run out, the piston slams forward, compressing all the air through a cylinder head and nozzle. During this process, the nozzle chambers a bb into the hopup chamber. Hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply, but apparently I didn't explain my comment well. I do understand how an AEG functions as I was into the gearbox and made changes per my start of this thread.

What I meant was that I had done no research, or had no personal experience with the affects on velocity with altitude change regarding an AEG. Thus, at this time, I am relying on comments and writings from those with experience regarding that subject.

That blog article I linked above does imply there was significant velocity change with altitude change in the testing they did.

Just another interesting subject for those (like me) that enjoy the details involved in shooting sports.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1tonne, thanks a bunch for that link! Was a great thread for me personally to help advance my airsoft education.

So, in simple terms, if shooting an AEG at high enough altitude the loss of muzzle velocity (vs. shooting at 'sea level') is more than made-up for in down-range terminal performance because of less air drag on the projectile (BB).

I wonder what the actual elevation/altitude is where the factors cancel each other out and down-range terminal performance is a 'wash' vs. performance at 'sea level'???

One answered question often leads to another question..., or several. :tup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts