Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

After seeing Vindi's build off SL8, I've been itching to buy one for myself.

However, I can't readily decide on which brand I should get. Can you fine gents help me out with whatever experience you have with the gun?

My options are (with abit of researching on my end):

1)STAR SL8 (the grey one) (around $200 US)
- its on sale at most stores because its been discontinued
- its the grey one

- has the adjustable cheekrest
- good material
- decent quality internals (?)

2)ARES/STAR SL9 (the black one) (was hoping to get it from WGC.. but they've discontinued it :( now there's only one place I know which has it)
- more expensive (around $300US)
- more or less the same as the grey one, except it does look better

3) CA SL8 (black style, but with the scope)
- Much more expensive than STAR or ARES (around $20US less than the ARES one)
- Apparently comes upgraded already (6.04TB, upgraded V3 internals)
- Material is ok (?)
- Its not the grey one

*New* 4) The Conversion Pack (around $200US)
- you need to have all the internals

And I am not thinking at all about the BE one

P.S. My teams' FPS limit is around 350, so there isn't much for me to upgrade in terms of the mech box.

Thanks!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have always loved the look of the SL8 and most HKs in general, but I have found that they are an acquired taste for most people. I have never seen anyone using them on this forum or any others for that matter... but I can share my experience with my G36 as far as internals go since I have mostly CA parts in it at this moment.

The body is a TM and has held up well, with exception of the "outer barrel" which I changed with a G&G kit. I'm not sure how the outer barrel is designed on the SL8, but that would be something to look at as I have heard that they tend to break on most of the G36c, k, ke etc. models unless upgraded with a heavier system.

My v3 gearbox is awesome! After talking with Vindi about his build in that build off thread he said that the v3 is a better choice to upgrade, and I have never had any problems with mine outside of normal spring wear since I have upgraded it 4-5 years ago and its chronoing at 400 (with a fresh spring).

The only two down sides to the platform that I have experienced are.
1. mags are terrible to find pouches for, might not be such a problem with a sniper platform though.
2. it is really really really loud on full auto (might be because of barrel length, but some of it is still coming from the motor).

p.s. if you decide to go with the body kit I am looking to sell my G36c, you can look at it in the commerce forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bobgengeskahn.

I have a JG G36E right now, and I can't get enough of it. That's why I also want the SL8/9. (Yes, I know they're both long guns, but I like the look of the SL8/9 :))

My issue is that is it worth the price difference to get the STAR and upgrade it to the CA level (which I think really is just the 6.04 TB barrel, but almost a $80US difference). I mean if someone can tells me that the STAR internals are crap and I'll have to replace everything, then I would know to buy the CA one.

Btw, the only ones Star/Ares SL8/9 around here in **airsoft heaven are the grey colored ones or the conversion kit, which costs exactly as the sale price of the STAR right now.

Hehe, as for your sale, I don't think I would be able to buy it from you, since I live in Hong Kong (hence airsoft heaven) :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
lol i see, im hoping to make it outthat way some time to get some stuff.

usually airsoft retreat and arnies airsoft have good reviews. i have not heard anything bad about the star stuff though. but if the internals are good id go with the star just because a CA 6.04 is only ~$45, so you could save some money. then i guess it just comes to colour. personally i like the gray, but you could always consider painting it too.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thought I'd drop by for 10 minutes and this caught my eye :)

My SL is a STAR body, with a TM G36 gearbox/hop unit.

The body is realy sound in construction and feels very solid, it is also alot heavier than a stock G36, and goes along way to help keep the gun quiet.

One thing you should be aware of is the SL forestock has next to no internal space for batteries, I still cant figure out how to get my 11v Lipo into it, hence sticking with the 'C' length forestock :-/

Properly set up a V3 gearbox is one of the quietest around and is only slightly louder than my VSR, but you do have to be careful with barrel/cylinder volume matching/balancing to achieve maximum stealth, and as we are allowed to use fully functioning suppressors mine is truely a whisper

Mine is still very much a work in progress.

A full roster of what is in mine as follows.....

STAR body with G36C front end
M130 spring
Bearing spring guide
TM gearbox case( built to the same specs as my guide)
Systema Helical gears ( short stroked by 3 teeth)
Systema bearing Cylinder head
G&P cylinder with extra metal teeth (to stop premature wear by the short stroking)
TM EG1000 motor
TM hop unit
TM rubber with nub removed(whipped to barrel)
Madbull X fishbone nub
Systema 6.04 x 435mm barrel
x4 20 round magazines (10 round real steel)
x1 specialy cut down hi-cap holds approx 100 rounds (20 round real steel)

FPS = just shy of 350
Groupings = 12" at 60 yards using Red Devil or Guarder .28s

And just for shit n giggles, a reminder of what it looks like ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
.... damnit... this has got me thinking of keeping my G36 again... if it werent for the crappy mag well conversion in running with...

... where is a good source to find the body conversion kits? the only place i can find is precision airsoft... and there is absolutely NO way to make this body kit look cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm.. I was hoping if someone could tell me if the STAR internals (not externals... I'll talk about it next) were good or bad, because I don't really want to replace that many things in the gear box - just yet
. I think I will definitely replace the inner barrel with a 6.04 or 6.03 (CA or Promy, depends on my budget), and get a Prowin hopup (or JG). H-nub + whipping the hop up rubber.

I plan to add an AB mosfet (I finally got all the components, just need to make) as well.

As for externals, I think I'm going to replace the front with my JG G36E Forestock whenever I'm using it (no problems with batteries hopefully), and then buy a roll of black self cling camo tape to cover the black (I don't really like the grey, but I want to make sure I can resell the thing later on).

Vindi - 2 quick questions

a) I've wanted to ask for a while: You're using a short inner barrel; are you also using a
corresponding shortened outer barrel as well?
b) how much space is there between the gearbox/motor and the handgrip area for the SL8? I've been reading about sound dampening materials that are around 1 - 1.5mm thick...

Bob - that's the XM8 as I recall. Its been discontinued so it might be rare to find a conversion kit.

·
Registered
807 Posts
lol its a lot easier to find those in the US than the SL8 kits... its near impossible to sell them since everyone pretty much thinks they are just about as useful/tastefully as the FAMAS.

And since Vindi is rare on the forums as of late I will try to answer your "a)" question since I asked pretty much the same thing from him. (its all in the build off thread if you want to double check, but its a realllllllly long thread
)

Basically what vindi did was to take a barrel extension (i think it was from a M4 barrel extension kit) and thread that onto the existing mounts and added a suppressor. To stabilize the barrel (this part I remember well since I was upset I couldnt do it), he took longer machine bolts and threaded through the three forward rail mount holes and screwed them in to hold both the outer barrel and the rails in place. (does that make sense?)

just in case I didnt explain it clear enough.... its still the last threa (#103) in the build off thread. (lol I thought it had gotten a little more lost since I looked at the thread last)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh! So that's what he was talking about!!! hahaha! Ok ok.. well, I was just curious. I think I'll kept the stock inner barrel length (509mm).

Also, I think I'll get a 6.04 instead of 6.03 inner instead. Any good brand suggestions? KM? Systema?

Also any of you have had a problem with the h-nub not pressing down on the hop-up sleeve enough on the G36? On my G36 right now (with the element H-nub), it only takes 1/4 turning of my hop-up dial to have the h-nub from fully pressing to fully not pressing.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, I have a stock hop on my G36c and its pretty effective with just a stock TM bucking (i didnt get edumacated about all this accuracy stuff till I came here and I havent had a chance to do work my AEG yet).

As far as the barrel goes, I just got a CA 6.04 for my ASR that is originally meant for a G3... sooooo if you want to wait a day or two ill have an accuracy report up. I went with the CA because it was the easiest accurate Stainless barrel I could get my hands on and Livonia popped into a thread swearing by stainless barrels... which made sense to me... Ill post the results in the gallery thread about my ASR since thats where I have the targets posted from the last barrel too...

vindicareassassin said:
One thing you should be aware of is the SL forestock has next to no internal space for batteries, I still cant figure out how to get my 11v Lipo into it, hence sticking with the 'C' length forestock :-/

Vindi, when you get a chance can you elaborate on this battery issue? I am debating sticking with my G36 and doing a similar mod (again lol) but am going to re-work my whole gear box according to your DMR guide and add a Mosfet and a LiPo, and I want to make sure that I can fit a battery. Right now its rear wired, but I'd rather have it in the front.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I can say is that a 9.6v mini battery *just* fits in the foregrip. So if the lipo is bigger than that, then you'll have some problem putting that sucker in.

As for the 6.04mm CA, I hope they will be good because they're pretty affordable. But it would be nice to know how it compares to the more expensive barrels.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I used to run a Mini in my G36c and it was tight, so I threw a 9.6 5000 in the back. nice for spray and pray, but id like the ROF of a lipo since if I do the mod im probably not going to be a pure DMR since id like to keep it somewhat versatile.

And for reference, the target I shot in the gallery forum was with a DBCustom 6.01 and I got 9/10 at 110ft. runnin around 600fps. DBCustom isn't exactly a low end barrel, nor was it cheap (although I got it cheap since most of them are on clearance since DB went under), but it was a 6.01.

I just polished and waxed it tonight, and will see if I have time to cut it tomorrow before work, otherwise it will have to wait till the weekend. But I am very interested to see what the performance differences will be between the two.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
bobgengeskahn said:
Vindi, when you get a chance can you elaborate on this battery issue? I am debating sticking with my G36 and doing a similar mod (again lol) but am going to re-work my whole gear box according to your DMR guide and add a Mosfet and a LiPo, and I want to make sure that I can fit a battery. Right now its rear wired, but I'd rather have it in the front.
Made the effort to see how things are progressing, and so.....

The difference between the 36C front end and the SL is the bottoms.

On the C, and K IIRC, the bottom has a trough moulded into it, which gives enough space to fit a battery. I run an 11.1V Lipo which is 175mm x 25mm x 20mm.

On the SL the bottom is flat, so there is only about half inch of space between the fore grip base and the bottom of the outer barrel, and baring in mind mine is heavily modded to take a 'C' size cell battery pack, anyone else trying to fit a battery is going to be shafted :(

There might be enough space either side of the barrel to run sub C size cells, but it would definately have to be a saddle style pack, as I don't have anything like this I've never tryed, but it is worth concidering.

My mate used to have an XM8, and it was a crock of shite, I believe it was made by BE. I glued it together twice for him after he had dropped it, the second time was a perminant affair, so that if anything happened in the gearbox, which it did, it was straight in the bin... no questions asked! I'd steer well clear!!

To back up what bobgengeskahn wrote.... some pics for you.....

Inner barrel supports made from appropriate thickness plastic card, also showing cut outs to allow larger battery fitment....

Showing front battery cut out and small 'O's where barrel support screws touch....

Machine screws( in an unscrewed state) for barrel/forestock support....

What you will be trying to achieve with the machine screws (note these are on my SR25 as its impossible to photograph on the SL)( another note, on the G36 foregrip you wont need to use nuts as they already have the threaded inserts fitted)....

And cant you just tell which ones were taken on my phone? :-/

My own fault for sending my camera round the washing machine twice
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you want one, and can find and afford one, get it, there is no holy grail of AEGs in the world, ever!

What you hear is shite from 1 person, might well be the bestest, most reliable and long serving AEG to another!

This holds true of every manufacturer out there, my mate only sold me all 3 of my G&G M14s, because no matter who he gave them to to sort out none of them could get them to work, be that mates or shop techs where he bought them from, and has swore he will never buy a G&G again, and hasn't. Me I fixed them and would quite happily buy another as they are far and away better, easier to work on and robust, than the TM heap of shite :-/

Its all relative ;)

The only way to find out is to actualy buy it and use it!

Then 'if' it breaks, fix it!

The advantage is its pretty much compatilble with all V3 gearboxes and all G36s, regardless of length, so your never going to struggle for replacement parts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Still love the look of that rifle man. You guys are in a good pair of hands.

He knows what he is doing, and I to would love to have a weapon like that
Just please don't get the BE.... as that was my first airsoft rifle

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya.. luckily there's no BE's left out there.. I'll be the grey Star one!

Thanks Vindi. That's true. I heard bad things about JG, but the G36 I got was pretty good straight out of the box. Hopefully I haven't screwed that up haha!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gents, sorry, but I have a little sorta related question:

Has anyone tried using a prowin G36 hop up chamber? I'm using it on my G36, and my magazines aren't feeding unless I push the magazine forward.

·
Registered
807 Posts
@ chiba: that is strange. I only have a stock hop in mine right now, but it doesnt sound like a hop up problem. Check the inside of your mag well and see if the lip is cracked, otherwise it might be your magazine. I had a similar issue, although I have a M16 mag conversion on mine and thought that it wasnt feeding because of the adaptor, turns out it was just one bad mag and the adaptor was fine.

On another note, after scouting fields today I discovered that I will be using my G36 this weekend as my primary since the camo on my primary sniper and my ghillie will in no way work at this field (it looks like vietnam and im set up for grassland
) So this project has jumped to the top of my list. I found a barrel extension for the G36 at my local shop today (really its just an outer barrel with a 14mm CCW male and female end but its prettier than the M4 ones), so I slapped that on, and it looks just plain sexy. I'm going to take it down tonight and make a list of what im going to need to get it working for this weekend. However I would love to find an SL8 stock for it and just keep the G36 body and the C foregrip...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.