Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all my internals are done. But now I'm planing on changing out the inner and outer barrel.

I was planing on the PDI Flute Barrel

If I go with the pdi 6.01 495m Inner barrel, stupid question, will it work in conjunction with my laylax cylinder with the PDI hop up?

I have the same setup on the vsr just curious if the 96 would be a different instance.. EDIT*** I'm using the stock hop up on the vsr, not the pdi. So I have a PDI 6.01 inner barrel, and a PDI flute outer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The fluted barrel worked with the stock Maruzen receiver for me. I have it installed on mine. Just use the parts they give you plus silicone tape (found at hardware stores, plumbing aisle) around the threads.
What didn't work for me was the stock barrel cap. I ordered a pdi barrel cap but I would just suggest saving your money and upgrading to the AI Hider Type 1 or 2 because it just looks so cool and you can attach silencers

[url]http://www.x-fire.org/type96/e.t96_hider_ai1.html

http://www.x-fire.org/type96/e.t96_hider_ai2.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PDI is being pretty snobby lately. I keep sending them e-mails, and they keep ignoring em lol.

About the fluted barrel, I haven't put in an order yet. I'm still trying to decide on a inner barrel length. Not even sure If I will go with a 6.01. I didn't know there fluted barrels are out of stock.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah man, when you order on their site, it's a request for a quotation. For the last two weeks (up until several days ago, when I gave up), my quotation requests came back with the fluted barrel listed as out of stock (or the engrish equivalent...it was something like "out now"). Feel free to wait, but as I was on a budget anyway it wasn't a hard decision to make.

By the way, a fluted barrel of the same mass is more rigid/sturdier than a normal barrel of the same mass, but not sturdier than a barrel of the same outside radius and length. The PDI fluted barrel is of a lower mass than the normal, w/ the same outer diameter, meaning the normal barrel is more durable. Of course, the chances of it snapping in half are pretty slim, so it's sort of a mute (moot?) point. Of course, there's also the fact that you don't need a fluted barrel for cooling purposes in airsoft

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I've ordered tons of stuff from PDI before. Its a bit annoying having to wait 24 hours just for a quote, but eh doesn't matter I suspose.

I do have a fluted barrel on my vsr. I will say its adds a good amount of weight. For now my concerns aren't on the outer barrel, its getting my red accuracy cup for my L96. It was such a pain to find any site that had it in stock. Guess I got lucky and I certainly did Pay a bit extra
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fluting for airsoft is about appearance. It's not going to affect anything but the looks on your rifle.

However, it was incorporated into real steel barrels because it was discovered that the the structural integrity isn't altered by shaving out those flutes. A fluted barrel will perform to the same tolerances as a non-fluted barrel, but without the extra weight. If the fluting is done well and is even, it won't even affect accuracy.

The concept is illustrated in "I-beam" construction techniques. They discovered that the center of the beam, top, and bottom were the only important parts. They were actually better to use in constructing because the beam's structural integrity wasn't also stressed by it's own weight, so really, they performed better than a solid square beam.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I disagree on that point phridium...the reason a fluted barrel is used in real steel barrels is for cooling purposes. More surface area means more escaping heat from the barrel while shooting. That the structural integrity isn't altered is a myth

·
Registered
299 Posts
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RealBenefitsBarrelFluting.asp

The only benefit fluting provides is weight reduction. A bolt action sniper rifle won't be fired fast enough to "overheat". I fired thousands of rounds without the barrel heating to a point where the rounds changed their point of impact.

If the fluting is done properly, the structural integrity won't change. However, it's very easy for "custom flute job" to go too deep or unevenly. If it goes to deep, there's the chance the barrel won't be able to contain the pressure created when firing and will explode. If it's uneven, it could throw off the harmonics and thus the group size could adversely be affected.

The same amount of mass needs to be present to maintain the integrity of the barrel. In this respect, you could say that a bull barrel would perform the same as a tapered barrel while retaining the same circumference all the way to the end of the barrel.

The reason the military has chosen to forgo fluting is because of the differences in a bench rest rifle built for accurate target shooting and a sniper rifle built for combat. You can build amazing rifles that will hold a 1/4 minute out to 1500 yards, but the better it becomes the more delicate it also becomes. There is a balance, and they definitely choose in favor of being "robustly good enough".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.