Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 44 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Manufactured barrel spacers are not worth the money. You would need at least 3 pairs to get near the effectiveness of making your own spacers.

I have aftermarket spacers and I've tried all the DIY methods you can find online. I've personally settled on a wax spacer.

Unless you can buy several pairs of aftermarket spacers, I would highly recommend making your own tape spacer, paper spacer, or wax spacer.

· Registered
384 Posts
Foam absorbs sound better than a solid spacer because it is a porous material with more effective sound absorbing properties. Vibration is dispersed mostly at the inner barrel and foam spacers.

Solid spacers reduce higher amounts of vibrations regarding the inner barrel so there's less sound generated overall. Vibration is dispersed more evenly throughout the inner barrel, solid spacers, and outer barrel because the vibration is better dispersed by a solid channel rather than a porous material.

An easier way to see it:

Solid spacers are better at preventing sound from happening while foam spacers are better at absorbing sound after it has been created.

In either case, the sound advantage over one or the other may be negligible, but the vibration reduction of the inner barrel is greater for a solid spacer. So concerning accuracy, solid spacers will yield more preferable results.

However, it's not wrong to use foam spacers :yup:. If you packed it well and are content with the results, then in my opinion it works just fine :tup:.

Reactions: Jakethetankslayer

· Registered
384 Posts
Now I have a question. As you can see in my sig, I am using a mix of tightly packed foam rubber and some old aftermarket spacers. If the foam is packed tight enough, could it potentially work just as well as paper or wax? I have it packed pretty tight in there.

I might try out some wax spacers because my outer barrel is conical, not cylindrical. I will have to research how to do it later.
A wax spacer will pack the empty space between the inner barrel and outer barrel completely so your method can produce similar results, but a wax spacer is more mechanically sound. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out :)

Btw, I've done a method similar to yours and although it probably wasn't exactly the same, I tried a wax spacer and never went back to anything else.

@Ranger- The sound can be caused by a difference in BB weight, barrel bore, barrel brand, FPS, air seal, hop up, and so forth.

If your foam spacer encompasses a greater length than his tape spacers, then your rifle will probably be more quiet. The one concept I would have to endorse regardless of material is that:

full-length spacers of material 'X' > non-full-length spacers of material 'X'

I think that's a statement nobody will argue with :yup:.

· Registered
384 Posts
A visible o-ring should not affect performance as long as the airseal is tight.

In terms of sound though... I've never tested an o-ring inside the cylinder vs. an o-ring wedged near the threads >:D. Never passed my mind. All I know is with constant use and manipulation of internals, the o-ring may eventually settle perfectly inside the cylinder; it's just a matter of time.

Oh by the way, dry firing is okay to determine a general sound difference. Don't forget the hop-up levels though! Assuming similar "FPSs", a hop-up turned up really high will be a lot quieter than one that has little or no hop-up.

· Registered
384 Posts
Ahah, I have experience modifying and repairing Echo1 m28 rifles :D

It's a very solid rifle once you get the right sears :shot:.

Oh btw, if any of your cylinder internals break on the M28, the Echo1 company sells cylinder sets (i.e. spring, cylinder, pistol, spring guide) for I believe... $20 or $40. Unfortunately I know the price is one or the other, but I totally forget which one! :doh:.

· Registered
384 Posts
I've never tested silicone rubber goo in my stock so unfortunately I have no clue :shrug:.

I used modeling clay for my rifle and it doesn't chip. Perhaps you're using a different kind of clay?

· Registered
384 Posts
Hmm, paraffin wax is 0.97 g/ml in density; generally waxes are 0.93-1.00g/ml. If you can get close to that value then you're golden :tup:. Hopefully you can find a way to calculate the density of that goo without wasting too much >:D.

1 - 7 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.