Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads, i've been looking to get back into the hobby recently and i was eyeing the as03, as i'm not too keen on upgrading my aeg, it performs well enough already and it's not the easiest thing to tinker on.
There is a 1j limitation in my country and i'm aware it wouldn't give me a significant range advantage, but the idea of doing things the other way around (m4 primary with a sniper pistol, instead of having a sniper primary and a backup pistol) absolutely cracks me up. Plus having the option for quiet shots wouldn't be bad, if they don't hear my chuckling that is.

There is this article on the topic that introduced me to the idea: Amoeba Striker AS03 Budget Build - SniperMechanics

However, i'm planning to go for a maple leaf autobot bucking instead (easier to acquire, still very good if not better) and i'm having trouble finding the gunsmithy hop up arm.
For the hop arm my main 2 options are from maple leaf:
Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Building Auto part
Rectangle Musical instrument Bumper Font Gas

The former has a type A and type B variant to pick from, not sure what that means honestly.
I was wondering if any of you people had information to share about these 2 parts, i'm unsure about these because it looks like the metal will put pressure directly on the bucking without a nub.
If both of these aren't suited for my plans i can order the gunsmithy one on its own, it'll take a while and it'll double in price due to shipping though.

Aside from that, curious to hear thoughts and opinions, thank you all. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gun should be fine, but don't get all excited about quiet shots.
Any particular reason?
The as03 should have a ported cylinder and a 150mm barrel should be a fair amount of volume for it, unlike the as01/as02 where the ratio is off.
From what i could research that should help plenty with the noise, obviously not whisper quiet like a hpa setup but good enough to not immediately broadcast where i am, my AEG is insanely loud even compared to the others. 😂

For the hop up arm, performance wise, should i aim for one above the others or would they all be about equal?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm not super knowledgeable about the AS0 series, but @Skara can tell you all about them
Hehe, I knew you'd tag me :p

Hello fellow Italian sniper :D

Regarding the hop arm, I'd go for the GunSmithy one, along with the AA AS02 hop wheel (mandatory since the grub screw that comes with the rifle has the annoying tendency to unscrew itself with every shot, and make sure to use the AS02 one and not the AS01, the TDC hole is in a different positon), then I'd use a Decepticon instead of the Autobot (personal preference, in my AS02 I used a decepticon and it worked fine). You can buy all these parts from Skirmshop.nl

I have never managed to quieten down my striker (one of the main reasons why I sold it to buy a VSR) but I reckon you should be able to on the 03, since it requires such a little cylinder volume to work with a 150mm inner that you can afford to make an airbrake.
For the airbrake itself, I have a thread somewhere on the forums in which I mostly rage at the Striker being a shit platform, but I also experimented with homemade airbrakes using an AirsoftPro piston and some regular M3 screws cut to various sizes and then wrapped in various layers of heat shrink. Though it was just an experiment and I had already decided to sell the rifle so I didn't do further testing.

One more thing, if you plan on mounting a suppressor you'll need that stupid Ares adapter because although the threads on the barrel and suppressor are the same (23x1.5 CW), the suppressor just doesn't screw on.
What I did on mine was to re thread a 3rd party suppressor (FMA Spectre) to the 23x1.5 thread. I still have it somewhere along with the ASP piston, because I'm actually planning on buying a 03 and make a meme gun out of it.
You could buy the AA adapter and use a regular 14x1CCW suppressor but man, fucking inverted threads are a bitch to properly tighten without copious amounts of threadlock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hehe, I knew you'd tag me :p

Hello fellow Italian sniper :D

Regarding the hop arm, I'd go for the GunSmithy one, along with the AA AS02 hop wheel (mandatory since the grub screw that comes with the rifle has the annoying tendency to unscrew itself with every shot, and make sure to use the AS02 one and not the AS01, the TDC hole is in a different positon), then I'd use a Decepticon instead of the Autobot (personal preference, in my AS02 I used a decepticon and it worked fine). You can buy all these parts from Skirmshop.nl

I have never managed to quieten down my striker (one of the main reasons why I sold it to buy a VSR) but I reckon you should be able to on the 03, since it requires such a little cylinder volume to work with a 150mm inner that you can afford to make an airbrake.
For the airbrake itself, I have a thread somewhere on the forums in which I mostly rage at the Striker being a shit platform, but I also experimented with homemade airbrakes using an AirsoftPro piston and some regular M3 screws cut to various sizes and then wrapped in various layers of heat shrink. Though it was just an experiment and I had already decided to sell the rifle so I didn't do further testing.

One more thing, if you plan on mounting a suppressor you'll need that stupid Ares adapter because although the threads on the barrel and suppressor are the same (23x1.5 CW), the suppressor just doesn't screw on.
What I did on mine was to re thread a 3rd party suppressor (FMA Spectre) to the 23x1.5 thread. I still have it somewhere along with the ASP piston, because I'm actually planning on buying a 03 and make a meme gun out of it.
You could buy the AA adapter and use a regular 14x1CCW suppressor but man, fucking inverted threads are a bitch to properly tighten without copious amounts of threadlock.
Ahaha absolute madlad, i was reading that thread of yours this morning.
Thank you for the hop wheel suggestion, it's something i was unaware about.
I'll probably end up ordering those two parts from skirmshop, for the others (replica itself and a few others) i'm planning to use gm softair instead, but we'll see.

I'm not sure i'd be comfortable making an airbrake on my own, i'm hoping the ported cylinder does the trick since that's already a way to let excess air out, but if need be i can look into it in the future. Hopefully if that happens i'll find something that doesn't involve DIY solutions.

I wasn't planning to use a suppressor (technically illegal to have foam in it in our country, yet i don't expect that law to ever be enforced), but noted, thank you for the heads up!
I've checked and the adapter from ares shouldn't be hard to acquire.
Plan is to either use a single point sling + vertical grip, then having the sling wrap around the grip, allowing it to stay firmly in place as i move, or to try and see if a molle universal pistol holster could work with it, both of which may not work too well with a silencer, i'd have to try.

As far as autobot vs decepticon goes, i think finding which one is better would be quite the rabbit hole... 😂

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ahaha absolute madlad, i was reading that thread of yours this morning.
Thank you for the hop wheel suggestion, it's something i was unaware about.
I'll probably end up ordering those two parts from skirmshop, for the others (replica itself and a few others) i'm planning to use gm softair instead, but we'll see.

I'm not sure i'd be comfortable making an airbrake on my own, i'm hoping the ported cylinder does the trick since that's already a way to let excess air out, but if need be i can look into it in the future. Hopefully if that happens i'll find something that doesn't involve DIY solutions.

I wasn't planning to use a suppressor (technically illegal to have foam in it in our country, yet i don't expect that law to ever be enforced), but noted, thank you for the heads up!
I've checked and the adapter from ares shouldn't be hard to acquire.
Plan is to either use a single point sling + vertical grip, then having the sling wrap around the grip, allowing it to stay firmly in place as i move, or to try and see if a molle universal pistol holster could work with it, both of which may not work too well with a silencer, i'd have to try.

As far as autobot vs decepticon goes, i think finding which one is better would be quite the rabbit hole... 😂
I've used an AS03 in game with 1 point sling attached to the front, found putting it over one shoulder and neck (like a messenger bag) means you can move it round from your back quickly to use it.

My sling also has a quick pull release as well which makes it easy to grab it from my back, release from sling and use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used an AS03 in game with 1 point sling attached to the front, found putting it over one shoulder and neck (like a messenger bag) means you can move it round from your back quickly to use it.

My sling also has a quick pull release as well which makes it easy to grab it from my back, release from sling and use.
Wouldn't that setup cause it to dangle?

I was planning to attach it to the back (a single zip tie should be enough), that way a twist around the sling should hold the gun tight against my front/back (if using a vertical grip).
I've tried it with my aeg and it works wonders, i can go prone and do pushups/squats with that approach.
Then to use the replica it's a matter of doing a circle motion.

However if there's a way to achieve a similar result from the sling attachment in the front that'd be quite nifty.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wouldn't that setup cause it to dangle?

I was planning to attach it to the back (a single zip tie should be enough), that way a twist around the sling should hold the gun tight against my front/back (if using a vertical grip).
I've tried it with my aeg and it works wonders, i can go prone and do pushups/squats with that approach.
Then to use the replica it's a matter of doing a circle motion.

However if there's a way to achieve a similar result from the sling attachment in the front that'd be quite nifty.
Whilst it did dangle it wasn't a problem with the way I was playing and the way the sling was setup, as I wasn't using the sling when I was using gun I could keep it so it would pass from my back under my arm than I could release it and use it.

I was using a pistol though not an M4 or rifle so I didn't have to worry about tangled slings or anything else. It could centre itself behind me well. The striker had a suppresor, foregrip and scope and didn't cause any mobility issues. But results may vary.

Disclaimer I'm above average height and within a healthy weight so this is why it probably worked for me as it could easily swing round when needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts