Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LAWS HAVE TIGHTENED!!!

Please understand that the manufacture, sale, and ownership of a suppressing device in the United States is ILLEGAL!!! (unless you have a Tax Stamp, are a Class II/III license holder, and if you have an ATF signed and aproved Form 1)

I do NOT want a fellow airsofter getting in trouble for such a retarded law, but it is illegal to make any device that can potentially deaden the report of a real firearm by a minimum of -8db.

I would highly suggest that you say they are "mock" suppressors/ silencers when posting about a suppressor you have made, or added to your replica. I really don't want any of you guys getting in trouble with the law, its a very heavy fine, and there could be up to 10 years in prison! I'll look up the specific ATF laws for you if you want, but if it can suppress an airsoft gun, chances are, it can suppress a real gun. and unfortunately, all the ATF needs to convict you is an 8db decrease in sound with a "home made" suppressor.

I'm sure its not a big deal on this website, but please believe me when i say to be careful with making these things!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
This has been around for a while, it does sadden me though.

If anyone gets caught with a metal suppressor there is a chance they could bust you, Its very easy to convert an airsoft suppressor to work with something real of small caliber.

What they are harsh on is weapons with permanent threaded barrels too.

I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in california, the cops smoke marijuana and surf, they don't care.

But serriously, just last weekind an of duity cop came to our game and I was showing him the scilencer and how I made it. i really don't think they care that much. it just seems like one of those laws that is not efoced but is still in the books.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in california, the cops smoke marijuana and surf, they don't care.

But serriously, just last weekind an of duity cop came to our game and I was showing him the scilencer and how I made it. i really don't think they care that much. it just seems like one of those laws that is not efoced but is still in the books.
It's not the cops you have to worry about it's the bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms. if they find about your silencer your screwed. I have heard about people getting arrested for airgun silencers by the BATF. But it sounds like a stupid law to me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote:y38eu2hq]I live in california, the cops smoke marijuana and surf, they don't care.

It's not the cops you have to worry about it's the bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms. if they find about your silencer your screwed. I have heard about people getting arrested for airgun silencers by the BATF. But it sounds like a stupid law to me.[/quote:y38eu2hq]

it is a stupid law, when has a REAL suppressed gun ever been used in a domestic crime? NEVER!!! if people are considering the legalization of certain narcotics, why not legalize suppressors!?! they're 100% legal in all of Europe, and they dont even do background checks, have any paper work, or ridiculously high prices. you could pick up a suppressor for your .22 (or two two as they call it
) at your local hardware store for 30 pounds.

and deadeyesniper, 94% of people in the United states have tried, or regularly use narcotics. im not suprised.

I was at a Subway and there were on-duty cops talking about how their crotch rockets were too slow, only topping out at 140mph...

besides, COPs only stands for Citizens On Patrol. they are not any better than a regular citizen, they still speed, do drugs, get drunk, commit illegal u-turns, and do pretty much everything else normal citizens do. I work at a shooting range where we have LE train all the time. none of them can shoot to save their lives, we have had more expenses going toward damaged property than they are bringing in. we have already kicked out three local LE units from training there for that exact reason. It is actually costing us more money keeping them there.

Plus they steal ammo and toilet paper. don't know why they need so much toilet paper...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Thanks, I literally just read it and I thought. Aww man, what joke could I use for this one. Maybe them shitting themselves upon firing the guns, or maybe them just talking so much shit on the field. But no, shit hitting the fan proved supreme and got my karma.

But on topic:

Good thing I don't use suppressors. Honestly though, I think if you were to walk in with a PVC supressor and some cheap foam, they'd put it on a real gun and it'd just melt or damage it, and most likely, wouldn't even supress it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
True pearldrummer. Pretty much, half my neighborhood has smoked weed/pot/joint/grass/mary jane (whatever you wanna call it) or still smokes it. It's crazy. One day I think I might rat out on all the houses with the pot. Hell, people do it in the school bathroom and no body cares. Heck, next time I see someone with weed, I'm reporting it, no ifs ands or buts.
That law is pretty ridiculous, I bet you my life a liberal made it up.
::)

Raptor

·
Registered
81 Posts
True pearldrummer. Pretty much, half my neighborhood has smoked weed/pot/joint/grass/mary jane (whatever you wanna call it) or still smokes it. It's crazy. One day I think I might rat out on all the houses with the pot. Hell, people do it in the school bathroom and no body cares. Heck, next time I see someone with weed, I'm reporting it, no ifs ands or buts.
That law is pretty ridiculous, I bet you my life a liberal made it up.
::)

Raptor
hell, if I wanted to I could get three-fourths of my school arrested. Now thats power ;)

But serriously, back on topic; its something that we all have probly done. breaking the law that is. If you have a supressor just take it off and hide it in your car when you are driving to a game. Some as when you have it in storage.

I find a scilencer extremely useful in a game. or just target practicing in my apartment complex

·
Registered
299 Posts
That law about suppressors has been around forever. It isn't new. It doesn't apply to mock suppressors, like in airsoft, but to things that actually dampen the sound. Airsoft doesn't actually make enough noise to need a suppressor. The majority of the noise comes from the motor, not rapidly combusting gases. The trouble that you can get into is what Livonia mentioned. If the suppressor can be "easily" modified to work on a real weapon, then you are in violation of BATF regulation.

"Easily" is a very open term defined by who has the best lawyer (the BATF). However, the majority of airsoft suppressors are not going to work to effectively suppress a live round. They simply aren't made to those specifications.

If you think airsoft replicas and their accessories are simply slipping under the BATF's radar, you're as stupid as you are ugly. They aren't any more capable of suppressing a weapon as a pop bottle or potato (which are actually more effective).

But pearldrummer is right, you need to be careful about what you blather about. People can get the wrong impression and run off half cocked. It's likely that nothing will come of it, but it's still a headache.

Also, the reason that cop didn't care about the suppressor you were showing him, DeadEye, isn't because it's only the BATF that cares, but because he was knowledgeable enough to understand that it wasn't a real suppressor. It's essentially a toy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Most quality suppressors use baffles. The bang of a rifle comes from two things, the supersonic crack of the bullet and the rest of the gunpowder being burned up. A suppressor has a ton of little chambers that hold that gunpowder giving it a nice safe quiet place to combust itself.

A rifle barrel *E* would */E* have to be about 36 inches long to burn all the powder before a .308 Win left the barrel. This would also give it the highest possible FPS, but it's not a practical solution. The weapon would be quite unwieldy.

I imagine that if you wanted a legal, quiet sniper rifle, one could simply put a 40 inch barrel on it and use subsonic ammunition. It would take a bit of engineering though. Regular subsonic ammo would be traveling faster out the longer barrel so it might not actually be subsonic anymore. The ballistics would be entirely different too so you'd have to gather all new data on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor has some pictures.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, because, you can silence a round that's subsonic because it hasn't reached the sound barrier yet. For rounds that can travel at supersonic speeds can't be suprressed as well, or as much, since the bullet itself makes a sound while breaking the sound barrier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.