Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While designing and studying very hard to make some test barrels for myself and a good friend, I decided to visit the real steel side of the internets, and have found that" Barrel crowns do nothing but protect the bullet exit from damage".

Next, I have contacted Airsoft Philosopher, PDI, Laylax, EdGi, Lambda, Action Army, various airgun manufacturers like FX and Daystate, and members of this forum and elsewhere, and have gotten severe contradictory replies, but no hardcore proof that this even matters.
And I've done work to maybe 7 barrels before, including my .22 bolt action rifle, with ZERO difference between any of them, at least nothing I could blame the crown for.

So I have gathered that the whole "extended crown performance" is bullshit after spending nearly 260 USD on a barrel and accessories with those claims, and experimenting myself.
I've also gathered that a rounded crown like this is incredibly easy to do with some sandpaper and a drill, or a lathe, and gives more FPS as you aren't turning an inch or so into a 7mm widebore.

So yeah, it's all just hollow marketing when it comes to airsoft, and in real steel it's just to protect the rifling from getting dented by dropping your barrel on some rocks.

Btw here's the most valuable SAUSE, SAUSE, and SAUCE I came across.
I encourage you to read them, and try for yourself if you aren't sure about them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't take real steel as a 1:1 translation to Airsoft as the physics are different.

Do crowns make a difference? Maybe

In my mind the logical benefit to a crown is the controlled increase in bore size which would hopefully increase BB stability as it leaves the barrel rather than a sudden large expansion of bore.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well seeing how PDI and Lambda are very highly rated barrels that use a simple crown like pictured, I would expect that they know what they are doing, being quite old and having tried many simulations and physical tests to get to where they are.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I do think a barrel doesn't really give an accuracy improvement. Recently I've put a 2021 MR hop inside a double eagle m89 and it's shooting super accurate with .32 bb's. As long the barrel is straight and cleaned inside it will perform great. I do have a carbon barrel, several brass, aluminium, tin and electroplated barrels. Some with dual bore, crowns and without any. The only real difference I've found with HPA or aeg is fps and joules. In GBB people suggest heavier and harder/stiffer barrels because they vibrate less but I've one with a carbon barrel and don't suffer from fliers, inconsistentie or bad accuracy. Its shooting as good as my crazy jet barrel. I did also notice no difference with dual bores and overvolume. Do notice the tests I've done are roughly done, shooting from a standing postion at trees at certain distances and haven't notice any significant difference at all. When changing buckings I did really see diffences, so far for aeg type I have tested a wide range of different buckings and degrees and have found the MR hop 2021 silicone far superior, tested from 70-85° but didn't notice any difference between them with 70° a little harder to dial in because it was a little more sensitive with the hop.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
A crown is meant to help spread the air around the bb evenly as it exits. It also gets rid of excess gas before the bb leaves the barrel. Excess gas in a real steel rifle can flip the bullet around backwards. To stop this, real steel spin the bullet sideways.
But airsoft is different. Our bullets are not in a cone shape and we do not spin our bb's sideways. BB's, because of their shape and centre of gravity have a totally different effect as they exit the barrel.

I think the more important thing is that a barrel is perfectly even all the way round the exit of the barrel. This will mean that the gas will release evenly all the way around the bb and not put on any excess spin on one side. A crown is meant to help with this gas release by releasing the gas a little more slower at the start of the crown and then increasing the amount of gas as the crown gets bigger. It probably does work but it would be so minute that we probably cannot see the difference.
I have cut plenty of barrels and have crowned most of them but with the ones that I did not crown, I did not see any difference in accuracy.

I also believe that a barrel does not need to be that clean to be accurate. The main part that needs to be clean is the every end of the barrel. Mainly the exit or at least the last 3cm of the exit.
I look after our club guns and to be honest, I can not be bothered cleaning the barrels. So they only get cleaned about once every 5 years. These guns still shoot really accurately even though they are very dirty. Then on the odd occasion, there will be an accuracy issue where dirt is putting on some spin or a FPS issue or jamming issue and this is when I clean them. By this stage, the barrels are in really bad condition with bits of plastic coming off the sides of the barrel.
Obviously the tighter the bore the more you will have to clean the barrel as there is more likelihood of a jam. But personally, I think the most important part is the last 3cm needs to be clean or even.

EDIT: I also have a 6.00mm barrel that I love. I only clean it once every 4000-5000 shots or so. In my 6.01mm barrels, I clean them about once every 10,000-12,000 rounds

·
Registered
880 Posts
As long as the tip of the barrel doesn't protrude into the inner bore, it probably doesn't matter. I personally speculate that the crown is there mostly to give tolerance since a straight tube ending would probably ingress into the bore more easily if something knocked the tip of the barrel

Reactions: SiliconeSword

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the more important thing is that a barrel is perfectly even all the way round the exit of the barrel. This will mean that the gas will release evenly all the way around the bb and not put on any excess spin on one side. A crown is meant to help with this gas release by releasing the gas a little more slower at the start of the crown and then increasing the amount of gas as the crown gets bigger. It probably does work but it would be so minute that we probably cannot see the difference.
I have cut plenty of barrels and have crowned most of them but with the ones that I did not crown, I did not see any difference in accuracy.
This is basically the most important aspect. I've hacked some barrels up in my life and the ones that aren't perfectly even have consistency issues. The actual profile of the crown probably doesn't matter much so long as it's even, which is why a flat exit can still work fine. I'm sure there's an optimal profile for all of it, but realistically with all the other inconsistencies involved with shooting little plastic balls you will probably never notice the difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do think a barrel doesn't really give an accuracy improvement. Recently I've put a 2021 MR hop inside a double eagle m89 and it's shooting super accurate with .32 bb's. As long the barrel is straight and cleaned inside it will perform great. I do have a carbon barrel, several brass, aluminium, tin and electroplated barrels. Some with dual bore, crowns and without any. The only real difference I've found with HPA or aeg is fps and joules. In GBB people suggest heavier and harder/stiffer barrels because they vibrate less but I've one with a carbon barrel and don't suffer from fliers, inconsistentie or bad accuracy. Its shooting as good as my crazy jet barrel. I did also notice no difference with dual bores and overvolume. Do notice the tests I've done are roughly done, shooting from a standing postion at trees at certain distances and haven't notice any significant difference at all. When changing buckings I did really see diffences, so far for aeg type I have tested a wide range of different buckings and degrees and have found the MR hop 2021 silicone far superior, tested from 70-85° but didn't notice any difference between them with 70° a little harder to dial in because it was a little more sensitive with the hop.
I still have faith that one day I will wake up and find the MR hop 2021 silicon hop somwhere in EU :cry:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I still have faith that one day I will wake up and find the MR hop 2021 silicon hop somwhere in EU
Only few are still available in taiwangun store & only 2021 MrHOP buckings, no Aotubot or Desepticons. AEG's ML's MrHop 2021 buckings are out of stock.
No need to wait. You can find ALL ML's 2021 buckings from Rainbow8 (Hong Kong).

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of the most accurate guns on my team was a stock G&P (we don't know how either, magic pixie dust or something) that had what amounted to no crown whatsoever. The faintest of bevels in the inside, but effectively flat.

From personal experience I'm inclined to agree that the quality/consistency of the inner bore and the muzzle's edge are hundreds of times more important than dual bores etc.

The only thing that I have seen improve consistency slightly in massively over volumed setups is the Crazy Jet, because it directs overpressure away from the round instead of just a larger gap around the BB. Standard Ported barrels would probably do the same, but porting is a really a different and far more fickle beast than crowning, so that makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts