Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I guess most of the people here I got in to airsoft sniping by watching a lot of YouTube, mainly noveritch. I finely spent the big money to by the ssg 10 and I’m looking for the best bb for the best price, I’m new to this so I didn’t know if u guys had any good tips or tricks about where to buy. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've found great success with BLS bbs. Order from infantryshop USA if in the U.S.

Reactions: DJsnipe

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I suggest BLS from Amped Airsoft and InfantryShopUSA, and the new ASG .48g BBs on Airsoft Atlanta.
HPA BBs are good, but the .48 is darker I'm pretty sure, and they cost quite a lot.
Novritsch is good if you're in a pinch, but they cost a lot with the same quality as BLS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@MagicMarker did a hilarious amount of testing around 2 years back and the results seem to indicate that for heavy ammo (ignoring Zirconium etc.): BLS 0.36 BIO is king, followed closely by Nov 0.36 and 0.40, then Kicking Mustang 0.48, BLS 0.48 and 0.50 non bio.

My experiences with HPA BBs they leave a fairly waxy residue that's a pain to get off in the barrels of my rifles, but that primarily seemed to happen with the ZCI barrel I was using at the time, so it may have been an odd material interaction.

BLS however doesn't seem to have this issue so I dunno. I prefer BLS as is, especially since I can get them from Amped.

I'm running 0.36 in my HPA DMR, and 0.48 in my SRS; the slightly worse bb-to-bb consistency is made up for by the increased mass and effective range in my opinion.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd vote for HPA .48s, or .45s if you can't find the .48s for some reason. Never had any issues, they are readily available at several online shops, a couple local places, and usually at the field for big events. Can't comment on price vs others as it hasn't been a concern. I remember the days when a .30 was a heavy weight, and even after that how hard it was to find quality heavy bbs that were white-ish in color (anybody remember those shitty CORE brand bbs with the powder coating?). So price hasn't really been a determining factor for me. Now I'm in the realm of .69s and damn near a .25 cents a shot lol.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I basically only use BLS .48s. While their .5s are theoretically better, they also seem to have significantly more potential if you partition them by weight (because while they're superior in size and shape consistency, weight consistency is their weakest metric by far- about double the inconsistency compared to the .48s), which is...just on the event horizon of "too tedious to actually do", so of course, I've been doing that. Still, they're a darker grey, which can make them a bit annoying to use- and I don't have enough experience using the partitions to speak on their superiority in actual practice yet...

[insert motivational speech on why BB hardness probably doesn't matter and we should allow ceramics because they blow plastic BBs out of the water and they exist in .36g, .45g, .69g, and probably more]

·
Registered
16 Posts
[insert motivational speech on why BB hardness probably doesn't matter and we should allow ceramics because they blow plastic BBs out of the water and they exist in .36g, .45g, .69g, and probably more]
...As general curiosity, got a link or source for those "lightweight" ceramics? Would love to see how the 36s and 45s fare for target shooting or in-team events where nobody cares WHAT we're shooting (to an extent, no pointy things 😂) so long as we're inside the joule/mm^2 limit.

Also, if one built an auto weight sorter (been mulling over doing that, just wish I could figure out how HS5 and Clandestine built their "spinny vibration/airpocket check" machine) to properly sort the 0.50s, would you then say that using them would be the "best" BB on the market that fields will allow?
I feel like the downside is with sorting them you would still have different weights so you would probably need to adjust your hop for the different batches... hrmm. By my count (from your sheet admittedly) if you kept it at 0.49+/- 0.002g you would be losing about 35 of every hundred to the "out of tolerance bin". That's rough on the wallet, and I've no idea what I'd do with ~700 just slightly out of spec BBs from a 1 kilo bag of 0.50s. Really expensive shower grenades? Hehehe...

EDIT: Wow, um, yeah I'd rather deal with loosing 700 bbs to the "meh" bin; 0.68g ceramics are in the range of ~35 cents apiece (including shipping) which... uh... woof. That's outta my decimal bracket! 0.36s are similar price from what I saw on Alibaba/Aliexpress.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I believe @Masada brought in some of the lighter ceramics to try when he was first testing and tuning our guns, and they didn't perform that well. I'll let him chime in if he sees this.

If your gun can fire the .69s and you can afford the $.25+ cents a shot, there is nothing better. Not even talking range, the stability of a .69 ceramic vs a .48 in the wind is a huge advantage. 2 years ago at operation starburst I was firing .48s and having to make some crazy adjustments for crosswinds and missing a lot of shots, while Masada was just doming people with .69s. At last year's OP we were both shooting .69s and the wind didn't really matter. Got my longest confirmed kill ever. Great time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your gun can fire the .69s and you can afford the $.25+ cents a shot, there is nothing better.
I just wish fields around here allowed them, they don't due to insurance: "All BBs must be plastic; no metal, silicate, ceramic, or glass BBs allowed." So we've gotta stick with regular old plastic BBs. At least the 0.48s and 0.50s are pretty nice (just not AS nice...)

·
Registered
311 Posts
My viewpoint is if you're gonna pay for ceramics you might as well get the weight benefit as well. The 0.45g ceramics didn't perform noticeably better for me compared to normal plastic bbs so I didn't really see a value in using them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just wish fields around here allowed them, they don't due to insurance: "All BBs must be plastic; no metal, silicate, ceramic, or glass BBs allowed." So we've gotta stick with regular old plastic BBs. At least the 0.48s and 0.50s are pretty nice (just not AS nice...)
That does suck. The local fields around here might be like that too, I haven't been to a local game in like 5 years lol.

·
Registered
567 Posts
...As general curiosity, got a link or source for those "lightweight" ceramics? Would love to see how the 36s and 45s fare for target shooting or in-team events where nobody cares WHAT we're shooting (to an extent, no pointy things 😂) so long as we're inside the joule/mm^2 limit.
Also, if one built an auto weight sorter (been mulling over doing that, just wish I could figure out how HS5 and Clandestine built their "spinny vibration/airpocket check" machine) to properly sort the 0.50s, would you then say that using them would be the "best" BB on the market that fields will allow?
I feel like the downside is with sorting them you would still have different weights so you would probably need to adjust your hop for the different batches... hrmm. By my count (from your sheet admittedly) if you kept it at 0.49+/- 0.002g you would be losing about 35 of every hundred to the "out of tolerance bin". That's rough on the wallet, and I've no idea what I'd do with ~700 just slightly out of spec BBs from a 1 kilo bag of 0.50s. Really expensive shower grenades? Hehehe...
EDIT: Wow, um, yeah I'd rather deal with loosing 700 bbs to the "meh" bin; 0.68g ceramics are in the range of ~35 cents apiece (including shipping) which... uh... woof. That's outta my decimal bracket! 0.36s are similar price from what I saw on Alibaba/Aliexpress.
You're looking for ball bearings made from Si3N4 (~.36g) and Al2O3 (~.45g)- or BBBastard NITES for the former.
Well, if I had that kind of machine, I would have tested my partitioned .5s against the .48s and would be able to answer that...but I don't know. My intuition says I probably would switch to using the .5s because I can see them well enough that, if they're more accurate/consistent than the .48s, I wouldn't really need to see the BB at all anyway, after zeroing carefully. From my experience, you can certainly zero with them just fine (if necessary, moving to ideal lighting, using a bipod, no eye-pro), it's just in-game when they can disappear.
As for 'out of spec', if you've got a machine that can sort them, I'd hope it would lend itself to generating actual partitions, meaning - in the most extreme example - you'd have groups for .408g, .409g, etc. etc., so no wasted BBs!
But yeah ceramics are bonkers expensive compared to plastic.

I believe @Masada brought in some of the lighter ceramics to try when he was first testing and tuning our guns, and they didn't perform that well. I'll let him chime in if he sees this.
If your gun can fire the .69s and you can afford the $.25+ cents a shot, there is nothing better. Not even talking range, the stability of a .69 ceramic vs a .48 in the wind is a huge advantage. 2 years ago at operation starburst I was firing .48s and having to make some crazy adjustments for crosswinds and missing a lot of shots, while Masada was just doming people with .69s. At last year's OP we were both shooting .69s and the wind didn't really matter. Got my longest confirmed kill ever. Great time.
My viewpoint is if you're gonna pay for ceramics you might as well get the weight benefit as well. The 0.45g ceramics didn't perform noticeably better for me compared to normal plastic bbs so I didn't really see a value in using them.
Yeah wind is a huge factor- because "wind" exists for BBs even if it's not "windy" [to the human perspective] outside. So much so that I pretty much don't care how slow my BBs go- I'd basically always choose more weight, even if they didn't provide more range.
Idk, while this "test" I did was very rudimentary, it still showed a clear improvement- not sure it's worth the money for most people though. I'd give em a shot, but yeah I'm not sure I'd care to crusade for ceramics if they didn't allow me to push heavier weights than plastic.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Novritsch is good if you're in a pinch, but they cost a lot with the same quality as BLS.
Oh also after a recent MILSIM where a friend gave me a bunch of free .49g Novritsch BBs he couldn't use (something about not being able to hop them), I can confidently say they are noticeably less consistent than BLS- I suspected that in some minor tests a while back, but I really am confident of it now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts