Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm just wondering what is the best option for a Kar98? I've loved this weapon ever since my PUBG days many years ago and ofc on all the classic COD games, but mainly since watching the enemy of the gate film, I just need to own one of these things! I like the idea of the ejecting shells, thats just class but not a deal breaker....I'd be more concerned about overall performance and parts availability.

Tanaka seem to do nice stuff but hard to find.....happy to hear recommendations.

Recently I saw VSS too, I remember that gun also from PUBG shooting its little annoying 9mm rounds but fully silenced, I love the portability of this but I hear not many things are compatible with it making it a tough rifle to work with?

If its not the Kar98, then I'd like something smaller which I can use as a DMR and help influence things on the field and get around more so.

Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello,
Check this site. If you plan to upgrade a Kar98 then don't buy Double Bell's Kar98 as there are no upgrade parts.
Double Bell's Kar98 offers the ejecting shells faction.

Reactions: Pewpie

·
proverbial discord mod wannabe
1,393 Posts
Nice cheers I’ll check this out, also it’s possible to fire 500fps?

This looked interesting
It's the same as the swit airsoft one but without the upgrades, and in an original KAR98 stock. This causes me pain because someone decided to butcher a rifle like that for airsoft.

Swit airsoft takes a snow wolf kar98 and sticks some TNT upgrade parts in it. You can just do this yourself if you want, but there is no significant benefit, as, last I checked, it costs about the same.

Option two is to get a Tanaka kar98, HPA tap it and RHOP it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Tanaka, HPA, and R-hop will give by far the best results, idk how useable the other ption even is.

For a DMR, SR25/M110 or nothing, as the other guns with a reasonable cylinder size are completely proprietary and not of great quality.
There's a reason everybody has an AR-15 and AR-308/AR-10 in real life, because most other competitors either suck or are heavy as shit.
Judging by how you want the K98, you should get an M14 GBB and fill the hollow cavities with lead.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you're looking for a similar item to the tanaka, the PPS version (Evike rebranded as matrix) gas KAR98 is a clone of the same system. It's a very fieldable platform with just a bucking swap and can be had for much less money. Might take some technical knowledge though since some of the bolt internals will work themselves loose over time. Magazines are also paltry in capacity and extremely expensive for extras...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm going to second the SR-25 mob. Highly upgradeable, very modular, can be as big or small as you want, honestly there's not a whole lot of benefit for other options. The most noticeable difference will be the options for MOSFETs. Most optical drop-in options are only available for V2/v3 gearboxes.

If you are going to buy a Tanaka, be prepared to spend a pretty penny. Most ones I've seen on Hopup go for $700 to $800.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's the same as the swit airsoft one but without the upgrades, and in an original KAR98 stock. This causes me pain because someone decided to butcher a rifle like that for airsoft.

Swit airsoft takes a snow wolf kar98 and sticks some TNT upgrade parts in it. You can just do this yourself if you want, but there is no significant benefit, as, last I checked, it costs about the same.

Option two is to get a Tanaka kar98, HPA tap it and RHOP it.
What does that achieve doing those two upgrades if you don’t mind me asking (still learning the in and outs)

can’t seem to find the sr 25 in the uk

·
1,393 Posts
What does that achieve doing those two upgrades if you don’t mind me asking (still learning the in and outs)
HPA: high pressure air.
The Tanaka kar98 is a gas gun. It uses propane from a chamber inside the magazine as propulsion for the BB. This has a number of advantages- it is very quiet and has a realistic bolt pull.
Unfortunately, there is also a few disadvantages:
  1. At cold temperatures, propane doesn't work very well as a propellant as pressure decreases (the two are in an inverse relationship- T∝ 1/P). Therefore, it is only usable in the summer.
  2. Gas sniper rifles can sometimes be inconsistent.
  3. The magazine runs out of gas after a few dozen shots and then you need to refill it.
HPA fixes all of these issues. When you HPA tap a gas gun, basically what happens is that you replace the filler valve for the magazine with an adaptor that runs to a air tank. This means that the gun maintains power at cold temperatures, doesn't run out of gas for a long time and has much greater consistency.

RHOP:
An rhop is a patch of rubber that is placed in the barrel window of an airsoft gun. Fitted over this is a flathopped hopup bucking. This makes your hopup more effective as the contact surface is greater.
Explained better in this video:

can’t seem to find the sr 25 in the uk
Strange, I've found at least a couple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HPA: high pressure air.
The Tanaka kar98 is a gas gun. It uses propane from a chamber inside the magazine as propulsion for the BB. This has a number of advantages- it is very quiet and has a realistic bolt pull.
Unfortunately, there is also a few disadvantages:
  1. At cold temperatures, propane doesn't work very well as a propellant as pressure decreases (the two are in an inverse relationship- T∝ 1/P). Therefore, it is only usable in the summer.
  2. Gas sniper rifles can sometimes be inconsistent.
  3. The magazine runs out of gas after a few dozen shots and then you need to refill it.
HPA fixes all of these issues. When you HPA tap a gas gun, basically what happens is that you replace the filler valve for the magazine with an adaptor that runs to a air tank. This means that the gun maintains power at cold temperatures, doesn't run out of gas for a long time and has much greater consistency.

RHOP:
An rhop is a patch of rubber that is placed in the barrel window of an airsoft gun. Fitted over this is a flathopped hopup bucking. This makes your hopup more effective as the contact surface is greater.
Explained better in this video:

Strange, I've found at least a couple.
that’s brill thanks for that 🙏

is there an image of how the hpa tap looks like?

Sorry I meant to say the gun was out of stock everywhere, I guess it’s a popular option! The DMR role would you says a better ( or more practical ) overall role than the sniper?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hands down more practical. The ability to take 10 stabilized shots in the time it takes for one bolt action is pretty beneficial. The only impracticality is upgrading. Any person with half a brain can upgrade a bolt action rifle, but AEGs require significantly more time, energy, money, and patience.

·
1,393 Posts
Cheers I’ll looking into that, you guys think the strike eagle 1-6 or the SE 1-8 are good scopes? £300-£400
Sure, they are probably good scopes. They are also way too expensive for airsoft. No point spending that much for something that is only going to go out to 80 metres maximum.
For a DMR, I would look into getting a cheap LPVO optic.
Such as the Novritsch LPVO: 1-4x Variable Scope - Novritsch | Airsoft

For the Kar98, if indeed you do wish to go for that, I would get a cheap replica of a Zeiss scope.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure, they are probably good scopes. They are also way too expensive for airsoft. No point spending that much for something that is only going to go out to 80 metres maximum.
For a DMR, I would look into getting a cheap LPVO optic.
Such as the Novritsch LPVO: 1-4x Variable Scope - Novritsch | Airsoft

For the Kar98, if indeed you do wish to go for that, I would get a cheap replica of a Zeiss scope.
The reason I looked to vortex was the guarantees when the lens gets shot out or damaged and because of this the resale values are pretty decent, I’ve tried in vain to buy second hand vortex scopes!

Ill see if I can find that rifle suggested above but if not maybe I can find a way to turn my KWA T10 into a DMR, be nice if I could change something over quickly to change.

Ive decided against Gas due to the winter snap we’re now in so looking to C02 options also, maybe this? G&G Top Tech G980 Mauser KAR 98K WWII Co2 Gas Rifle - Gear Of War

Anyone tried a GBLS DAS as a DMR, a lot of money I know though…

·
1,393 Posts
If you get a decent lens protector you will never need to get the lens repaired.
Sure you could turn the GBLS into a DMR.

The G&G kar98s are often pretty bad. PPS is better and cheaper. PPS Karabiner 98k (KAR98 KAR 98) Airsoft Rifle

My choice would be a Cyma Platinum AR10 or SR25 upgraded with the following:
Perun Optical Mosfet
ZCI advanced gear set (18:1) with the bevel and pinion gears replaced with Lonex Spiral gears
ZCI high torque motor.
ZCI tightbore inner barrel
Maxx Hopup unit
ZCI rhop patch
Modify flathop

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
I love my Tanaka, does a lot of work. However, PPS makes a solid skirmish ready offering that is a clone of the Tanaka with some better out of the box upgrades. First being VSR bucking compatible, over the goofy multi piece thing Tanaka uses. Then a better nozzle that seals quite well. The PPS also offers a CO2 magazine as well.

Upgrades for the Tanaka is rather hard to come by same with replacements. You can hunt down genuine parts, but they are made in limited runs. You can swap the Tanaka parts with the PPS ones and have a nicer rifle without any serious modifications.

The PPS would be easier to install an Rhop on over the Tanaka, cuz VSR barrels. Unless you are god and can cut a perfect circle in silicone tubing...

I do not really care for spring versions of Kar98s. They are just... odd to use, coming from a gas rifle.

Reactions: SiliconeSword

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great feedback guys honestly!

So sounds like PPS is the way to go, then maybe later consider swapping carcasses around with a Tanaka….wonder if a real carcass would fit.

Other than the K98 I don’t know why but I really like the VSS for some reason, it’s compactness maybe or unique look, I’m told there not very practical and also hard to upgrade or get parts for?

Whatever the sniper would be I think having more than 9 rnds is needed, when we’re fighting 500rnd beasts at times!

I do love the prospect of hunting prey though but I think this role may be more of a luxury one we’re perhaps a DMR would work in more circumstances, I guess you have to just pick your moments!

I think my loadout. (My other is yet to know about any of this snd btw my T10 was a loan item from the shop she thinks 😮)

Will look like this:

Sidearm
G17 gen 5 (owned)

Sidearm #2
Gateway MP5K (owned and currently being turned into the ‘death machine’) £350 of upgrades, I don’t even know what they are yet!

AR
KWA T10 with upgrade gate mosfet / crazy jet / maple 60 degree

DMR
GBLS DAS (I like the m416 one) or CYMA - CM.097B Platinum Edition with upgrades, I like the bolt action of the DAS etc…

Sniper
PPS Kar98 or other? I can’t get away from wanting a wooden stock….but still interested in hearing options

1 - 20 of 24 Posts