Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering whether you guys consider Bipods :lame: or :tup: or if you :shrug:.

Just to say I Run a Warrior L96A1 and do use a bipod, which I find very useful.

In my opinion the advantages are you can hide anywhere and use the bipod, however it can get tangled and adds weight, if you want to use trees I can understand that but I tend to try to stick away from trees (yep, I play in the woods :doh:) because of so called "Tree Cancer" and standing out....

Let me know fellow snipers!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Depends on your play style. General guideline I use when choosing my rifle setup before each game.

Use a bipod if: You will be ambushing, sitting in hides, going prone and generally not moving and the bipod's weight is worth the stability.

Do not use a bipod if: You will be moving and shooting, this is where the bipod's weight is not worth the stability because you will not be using it as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, yh I guess that makes sense. This may sound stupid also but supposing you are playing in snow or rain? Would that make a difference?

Personally in snow I wouldn't move as much, because of trails, and would spend more time covering up tracks than making new ones, and therefore would be ambushing using a bipod.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For my setup i use one of the cheap plastic detachable bipods. I attach it to my gear for ease of access but i also get the bonus of no unecessary extra weight at the barrel end which i dont like.

Bullet

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have one installed, but I rarely use it. It's probably not worth it for me since I tend to move around a lot and the bipod is fairly heavy. I use a RifleCraft sling that does an incredible job of stabilizing my rifle, so even when prone it is easier to put tension on the sling than to take the time to flip out the bipod.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I have used bipods in the past, but even on my l96, I preferred to run without one. Between getting it caught on twigs, branches, netting, etc. as well as not actually using it very often, I found I just didn't need the extra weight. I currently run a VSR 10 and with my kit, I am extremely mobile. I carry only the essentials, and a bipod is not one of them.

However, harris bipods are sexy. Great for photo ops.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't move around a lot so I use a bipod but sometimes I just have it in my bag and when I need it I just attach it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
ive never used a bipod laying down, mostly because my hap coord gets in the way. I mostly have it for looks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I used bipods on ALL my rifles, even CQB and SBR. But i hardly ever use them a lot, maybe 20mins or so each game of 2hrs. But they are damn fine when they are needed. Like bobcat said "It depends on your play style".

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I never use a bipod.
If I am in a hide I will find a branch that is lying about and make a horizontal crossbar which I rest my gun on. Sometimes if I find a "Y" shaped branch I may use that and rest my gun in the top "V" part of the "Y".
I have found that there is always a bit of wood that can be used in one way or another.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't use one, instead I just use a sling. Between the extra weight and less for twigs to catch on, personally I don't find it needed 90% of the time.

That's not to say I never use it, but it's a piece of kit like everything else. The right tool, for the right job. No less, no more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, I guess so. Just to quickly say I'm amazed at how good this forum is with the amount if feedback on my first ever post :D

I guess it's true that Bipods are slightly aesthetic, as I use an L96 (which looks beast anyway) and I have a ghillie and a big scope, the bipod makes me look like a warrior lol.

I wish I lived in a big hilly region with lots of snow and airsoft :C

·
Registered
532 Posts
I actually have a bi-pod on my AWM, mostly for aesthetic purposes, but also because I never know when I might use it (and I have). I have actually only encountered the snagging problem a few times, and it was mostly easy to untangle, my biggest entanglement is my cheek-rest adjustment knobs.

Usually, I'll be taking shots sitting or standing (or some bizarre mix of both) and I'll either rest the rifle on an wall, the side of a tree, a cable spool (we have those at my field). When I'm prone, however, I usually use my bi-pod.

As for my Predator Mk12, no, I don't use a bi-pod. It's just so light, and I move around so much when I use it, and it's so dang quiet, that I can't bring myself to justify buying one.

As a side comment, noise is an important factor in our line of "work", a bi-pod can and will make noise, and that's something to be aware of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd agree about weights changing it definately, as I run a well warrior L96 And I'm quite small, the bipod helps me lots...also I struggle to shoot standing up with it.

If the bipod is rattling perhaps putting some foam in would help?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't use a bipod, I think my teammate does, but he is staying in one spot most of the time.

I tend to move around... a lot, just so people never have an idea about where I actually am.. unless I trip... or walk right into them.

But yeah, I wanted a bipod for the looks, but decided the weight of them makes it not worth it for me. I do want to look at one of those monopod things though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a Mauser SR branded L96 that came with a very nice bipod. I have gone into skirmishes with it and never used it once. Then I take it off to lose a few ounces, and within 5 minutes I find a place that would've been perfect for a bipod. I prefer to keep the bipod on; It doesn't add TOO much weight, it makes me look tacticool:yup:, and I'd rather have it and not need it than want it and not have it. And nothing unnerves an unmotivated charge more than a sniper calmly setting up his bipod in the middle of the path they're charging down.

Check out this guide by inthetallgrass if you haven't already. He addresses some of the rattling issues and has ways to make and keep everything quiet.
http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/44-others/1990-ultimate-guide-silence-your-type-96-others.html

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't use one, instead I just use a sling. Between the extra weight and less for twigs to catch on, personally I don't find it needed 90% of the time.

That's not to say I never use it, but it's a piece of kit like everything else. The right tool, for the right job. No less, no more.
a sling is what gets caught on branches for me, i don't even use em on my DMR's. The only bad part is that im scared my HPA cord will get caught and rip in game D: the struggle is real.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts