Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a discussion abou this a long time ago, but I can't find it. I'm wondering if anyone really uses black bb's. I was considering buying a bag of .32 goldenball, but I didn't want to buy something that wasn't going to work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've tried them, Black BB's are a pain. In winter they are somewhat helpfull, but even then, not very practical.

If you have a burning desire to try black bb's, Get some ksc .30's in white and in black. You can zero your rifle with the whites, and use the blacks for in game use to avoid being spotted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used to use black BBs for an old DM load out I had. They can be very helpful if you are trying to conceal your location. I found it most effective if you find your self shooting down a road(like at the end of a T turn) at guys coming towards you. With the contrast in the woods around here they are near impossible to see flying at you. I don't know how well they will work in other places however. You need to make sure your rifle is as close to a nail driver as you can get it, because the shooter often can't see them either. And like CT said, use whites to sight your gun in and adjust your hopup, it will save you a lot of anger. :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've been using black BBs in my DMR since before it was a DMR. For spray and pray they were fine, but after a while I have found better BBs that work that I can actually see when I'm shooting. The ideal thing would be to get white and black in the same weight from the same company and zero with the whites. Although zeroing before a game with the Blacks isnt that bad because you can take your time to see where they are going, but usually that involves losing your sight picture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Think of it this way if you have a good hop up and have your weapon sighted in really well the black bbs would do the same thing as white( assuming of course your using the same weight bb duh). My m4 that I use is a KWA. I don't like to do a lot of internal work with aegs so it works great. The hop up once broke in is very consistent so once sighted in I switch to black bbs and if I can't see them neither can my enemy. For snipers it can be completely different. You have to be a lot more precise so every shot matters. If you really confident in your rifle I say go ahead and try them. If you find them really frustrating have one mag loaded with whites so you can switch in a game. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
506 Posts
A good idea for a DM might be to throw some whites in your container of blacks, and use them as tracers, so you can see where the bb is going every few shots. Actually, this might be a good idea for an AEG too... I might have to try this out! :) But for a boltie, this seems silly, because you'd have to have a really, really good eye to track where a little white piece of plastic came from IF you saw it in the air.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was more talking about not being able to see them, not for getting out of the way, but for staying concealed. We are on a sniper board, so I thought that was a fairly relevant argument. I personally have found many people because they try to take a pot shot at a squad mate and I can see the BB flying through the air and just trace it back to the shooter.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I would be more worried about the sound of my rifle giving my position away then the color of my bbs. I would also like to see my bbs when I am shooting. With black, who knows, perhaps your hop up got somehow messed up mid game. An attempt to fix it will be harder with black bbs, and I feel that the cons like this just outweight the pros.

·
Registered
354 Posts
quigly said:
Newbie, you find tan BBs more useful around here? Do you like to be able to see your BBs going down range?
I loved the orange .43's despite their qc issues, but since I cant find them anymore I use the madbull .4 tans apposed to the black .43s. While I have my scope and hop up very dialed in it is the range estimation that is sometimes difficult to judge. Shooting a tpe 96 platform it is really difficult to adjust the hop up on the fly so I zero in my scope and hop up to be a completely straight flat shot at 175 ft. Even though my rifle is powerfull enough to hit 300 ft shots I rarelt ever see that great of a distance in the woods where I am at.

I use a mildot scope to account for my range adjustment and a 200 - 225 foot shot I need to aim 1 mildot high at a 3x zoom to hit my target. Estimating the range on a moving target or in a area you have not had the time to map out can effect your shot. Should I miss I would love to be able to see the bb and adjust accordingly. I have found whenever I need to fire more than 1 to eliminate an undestracted apponent I get zeroed in on really quickly. and I hate crawling for an hour to get in a perfect spot just to get 1 elimination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.