Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I noticed I can no longer release the bolt using the bolt catch release pin located near the trigger, in my M40A1. I am guessing the metal catch is not lowering enough for the bolt to be "free". If I take the entire rifle stock out and manually push the metal catch lever I can get the bolt to release. It seems to be a matter of 1-2mm at best.

Does this sound familiar to any of you? It looks like the release pin is not pushing the catch lever high enough.

It is not of critical importance, but I might give it a look in a couple days when my upgrade parts arrive.

As usual, thanks for your expertise, stay frosty and make every shot count :)

·
Registered
349 Posts

DO you see where the screw driver is pointing? That is another wat to release the bolt, just push down on that.

I think that you trigger mech might just need a good clean and relube. Here is a vid for the rebuild of the trigger mech:
The take down is pretty straigh forward; just dissasemble everything.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! I'll remember that. Hopefully I am going to get my upgrades tomorrow, directly from Redwolf..so next time I open the rifle I am going to give it a good clean and relube.

I won't touch it for the moment. I've taken shots to around 70m today with approximately stock conditions on the rifle. Considering that stock Tanakas do not perform -incredibly- well (so I heard) compared to the upgraded versions..I won't touch it for now :)

if it ain't broke .. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cerbo Knight said:
Just to echo what toomanybbs said, a cleaning up and lubing sounds like it would fix your problem, you can also refer to my takedown guide for the disassembly of the trigger mech ;)
Yes, absolutely..which gives me the chance to express my gratitude for such a great guide. I was a complete airsoft newbie..holding a rifle was new for me, you can imagine disassembling it! With your guide everything worked flawlessly.

The only thing I haven't taken down is the trigger mechanism but considering the quality of the guide and the above video, I only need spare time and patience :)

Thanks for the amazing guide!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm glad to hear about people making use of it

It makes it seem like the hour I spent on it saves people a lot of hassle.

Bit off topic, but I saw your paint job on your rifle and I really like it :)
I was thinking of doing something like it but in OD, for the UK woodlands

·
Registered
349 Posts
reezo said:
Yes, absolutely..which gives me the chance to express my gratitude for such a great guide. I was a complete airsoft newbie..holding a rifle was new for me, you can imagine disassembling it! With your guide everything worked flawlessly.

The only thing I haven't taken down is the trigger mechanism but considering the quality of the guide and the above video, I only need spare time and patience :)

Thanks for the amazing guide!
The trig mech is so simple. there are no duplicates of parts so everything has a certain spot and its quite simple. Just need patience, clean hands, and a cloth.

·
Registered
152 Posts
toomanybbs said:
The trig mech is so simple. there are no duplicates of parts so everything has a certain spot and its quite simple. Just need patience, clean hands, and a cloth.
True, it's beautifully simple which is what I like about Gas.
But the same can also be said for AEG gearboxes, and that anyone with a reasonably technical mind can work on them... Yet there are still so many problems :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad you like the paint job Cerbo!

..and about the guides, if I might, I would add that the most important factor in a well made guide is the sense of tutored confidence it gives you when approaching an operation that is potentially dangerous for an item that you purchased and care about.

It is not only about the wealth of information (which your guide definitely has) it is about the structured, step by step approach from picture to picture that gives you the "student confidence" to approach and then learn ;)

"become one with the guideee" ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem solved!

1. Disassembled the rifle and carefully wiped the paint from my paint job from the inside of the bolt and near the trigger..

2. Removed trigger mechanism, disassembled safe lever and cleaned paint from trigger, safe lever, bolt catch release, springs etc.

3. Had a little panic moment when the sear spring leaped away from me, over my head, reaching somewhere behind me, on the floor (="nobody mooove!")

4. Did not disassemble the entire trigger, instead I just lubed from top to bottom, spraying from inside the sear and letting spray drip from the trigger

5. Wiped excess lube, assembled everything back together

Result: bolt movement, trigger, safe and bolt release as smooth as a top model's back (unfortunately this is just a wild guess).

Thanks guys, mission accomplished: moving to extraction point!

Reezo out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.