Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just received my Ares MS338 in the mail today and after loading it and shooting a few rounds the bolt stopped locking. It seems to feed the BB's just fine, but the bolt at full extension will not catch and will just slam back forward. It will at times fix itself and shoot for a few more rounds before messing up again. Is there a simple fix for something like this, or should I consider sending it back and getting a new one?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Check the sears if they are locked in the forward position. Also if it's a black sear, you've got the old gen 1 MSR. It's bound to have that slam fire problem after very few rounds. If you're planning to upgrade, it doesn't really matter, but if you just wanted to plink with it, you've unfortunately picked a bad gun for it. Pictures will help if you need further help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After messing around a little bit with various google results, I think I've at least identified the problem. I'm about 80% sure it is an issue with the trigger box. It seems that the trigger is fairly loose, and can be pushed slightly to the left. I wiggled the trigger and the bolt was able to catch again. If that is the actual problem, is that something that I should consider sending back, or should I shell out the extra money for an upgrade?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am skeptical about the loose trigger being the issue as my own MSR which has been upgraded fairly heavily still has a somewhat moveable trigger (side to side). If you know how to remove the cylinder using their quick change, I do encourage you to check your sears as I suggested above. Alternatively, you can look into the magwell and snap a picture of the very front of the trigger box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine has done this a few time and it was the trigger box that got unscrewed from the receiver
check that the 2 screw that hold the trigger box in place a tight

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took everything apart and it did not appear to be the screws loose. They were tight and appeared to be fitted correctly. It was as you thought, the sear was loose with a slight wiggle that wasn't engaging if held at the right angle. I tighten it down as much as I could, but honestly I don't trust it. Especially when I eventually upgrade the spring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update post: I need some assistance with trying to find a 90 degree piston head. When I first bought the gun I had bought an upgrade kit from another website and it did not come in till yesterday. It was then that I noticed that it has a 45 degree piston already installed. http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ares-bol...sniper-rifles-ms338-ms700-1.html#.WJtLMMtOnqA I've already gone and purchased a new trigger set from Springer and with that 90 degree trigger I forsee an issue. Now I know the AA VSR 90 piston will work as stated by other posts, but my question being do they sell just piston heads that can be exchanged out? Is there other parts that I should consider swapping as as well?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I believe you have your terms mixed up. The piston head is the front part of the piston that has the o-ring on it and makes the seal with the cylinder. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a 45 degree piston head or 90 degree piston head. It is the back of the piston that is either 45 degree or 90 degree.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe you have your terms mixed up. The piston head is the front part of the piston that has the o-ring on it and makes the seal with the cylinder. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a 45 degree piston head or 90 degree piston head. It is the back of the piston that is either 45 degree or 90 degree.
Derp, ya that was what I was question about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pardon me for even more questions, this is my first gun that is at this length of upgrades. (Really hardly did anything with previous AEG) I found this piston on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Action-Army-Degree-Piston-Including/dp/B01KYUTT3E which I'd imagine would work, but I also see that in bought together section there's a spring guide recommended. Is that necessary to install with a 90 degree piston or should the one that came with my upgrade TX kit work?

Also I've seen that there are a lot of posts reguarding bucking, specifically maple leaf but I'm not positive about what specific verion I need to be looking for. I wish to learn all I can before making any more purchases to advoid past mistakes.

Thank you for understanding and hopefully not rolling your eyes too hard.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I recommend not mixing and matching as much as possible. I also am not a particular fan of the Ares TX upgrade kit. Buying the spring guide and spring with the piston is probably a safer bet. I have seen issues with mixing spring guides and pistons, and though I have not tried it with the ARES TX system, I do not know the specs so I cannot say it will conflict or it will not.

As far as maple leafs, most of us like the old black monster in 60 or 70 durometer. The newer autobot buckings seal very well, but they seem to have more durability issues. If you do not have an open windowed barrel, then just get a pdi W hold or nineball purple rubber.

Reactions: Solstice

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I have ordered the parts and when they come in I'll be sure to post up a final group photo before installation for review.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello. Being the ovner of the same gun i'll just throw my 2 cents here. When i got the ms338 it came with a 90 degree piston end and an aluminium piston. But the trigger sear was wearing off like crazy. I knew it was a matter of time before it started slam fireing. As you did i rodered a trigger box from Springer (thanks again Springer) and installed it. I also went bananas and ordered the Ares AW338/MS338 palsonite cylinder set (high durability) from PDI at RedWolf airsoft. The problem is it has a 45 degree piston end but i got a guy ready to go bonkers at it to cut it down to a 90 degree. Also i replaced the hop up bucking with a PDI one (i belive it's a W hold) and it works without problems.

The Ares upgrade kit is from what i heard poop but i haven't used it so i can't confirm. Also a tipical Ares is usualy a good wallhanger so upgrades are a necesity.

I took the gun completley apart and put it back together. So if you need any help with it let me know.

Btw it would be a good idea to clean the hop up. It's loaded with a but load of grease.

Edit: be carefull when taking apart the hop up chamber. There is a small piece that can fly off and never be seen from again. If that happens use a piece of a slim pen's ink cartrige. Worked for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been through my trigger assembly several times. I ordered an eDGI full internal upgrade kit and it came with two new parts to work with their piston. Since then it's kinda hard to cock (due to spring pressure) but it fires just fine.

I did have trouble in the beginning because I accidentally bent one of the two trigger springs and had to figure out how that whole thing operated. Basically each spring oposses the other one and they both need to be balanced to get the sear to stand strait up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts