Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thought this would be a good first post. This is my Sun Project M40xb which has been extensively rebuilt in the last 8 months.

Some specs:
- Laylax 150 spring
- Stainless cylinder and cylinder head
- EdGI 6.01 barrel, Firefly bucking, PDI hop unit
- Custom made piston, spring guide, trigger sear, hop arm*
- Leapers 3-9x40 on low rings, clone harris bipod

It's been a huge project filled with frustration and now that it's done I'm extremely pleased with how it shoots - just in time for the NZ nationals next weekend

*I promise to make a post on how to make an awesome hop arm for the PDI unit next time I take it apart (about 3 weeks).

·
Registered
974 Posts
Awesome rifle, man. It's a breath of fresh air with all the clones flooding the market these days. The Sun Project M40 is a very nice replica when upgraded right. +1

I'm excited to hear about your hop arm. Could you tell us more about the piston you made as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The piston basically looks like a laylax VSR piston http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=17019 except there's no front rubber on the piston (have a 5mm thick piece of neoprene on the cylinder head which does the trick) and the end where the sear catches is brass. The only manufactured piston for the m40xb is a cup piston which I have and loathe.

Here's a paint drawing of the hop arm. Basically one piece instead of two with a u-shaped part that contacts the hop. Imagine gluing the two hop bars and the nub together and filing a u-shape (use a drill bit same diameter as hop rubber with some sand paper around it). I used ~6mm aluminium plate and JBweld for the u-shaped bit. Shimmed with aluminium tape. I did away with the little spring (you can get a tighter o-ring if you need more pressure) and use one grub screw to adjust the hop. The other one can be used during disassembly to turn your hop off to remove the barrel and it will not upset the other setting :) That should be enough information to get people started on making something of their own - I'll put up some better pics later.

It produces very stable flight because of the even pressure on the hop rubber and best of all, is easy to adjust - spending an hour before a game trying to get my hop adjusted straight led me down this path.

Hope that will give the VSRs a run for their money

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Now thats what I like to see
A man after my own heart, using innovative thinking to over come a problem, and then putting it into practice, hence why I came up with my hop mod for my SPR ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I was destined to have it... bought a barrel and PDI hop for my L96 clone. The cylinder head didn't fit so I never actually shot it with the new barrel/hop. With all that expensive brass sitting around this baby came up for sale from a local guy with basically a stuffed barrel/hop unit - it was fate! Was only about us$120 too :) But that deal was beaten a week later by my friend who got his mint condition, stock M40xb for us$40!

The only real problem with them is the scope mount base... it's more like a 25mm dovetail which sort of exists but doesn't. The only scope rings I could find for it only fit ok but even the guarder bases aren't cheap

If one ever came up for sale I would recommend you grab it. There's not much to them - none of this pot metal casting stuff - so relatively easy to modify. I gave my spring to my friend for his m40, trigger was modfied slightly and now it shoots 500fps pretty well - not high end but it works for his non-existant maintenence routine and casual use

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.