Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've given this a quick Google search and haven't come up with much...

I recently bought a Dremel, and it's recommended to "break in" the motor by letting it run on low speed for about 5 minutes. So I did that, thinking it wouldn't do too much. But just letting it run for 5 minutes gave a HUGE difference in rpm, enough to easily hear the difference. Even after the 5 minute break-in, I could still tell it was getting faster while using it.

I know Hammar was the resident expert on AEG's and motor things from his RC days (work hardening and all that), but I haven't seen anyone mention breaking in motors like this.
For high rpm motors like airsoft AEG motors, would this benefit your setup? Does anyone do anything with their new motors? I have a new high-torque motor sitting on my workbench and I'd like to make sure it runs at peak performance. :tup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most tools built for constant high RPM use have a very thick grease (often with a graphite powder mixed in) to lubricate the bearings. The main benefit I can think of is that running the dremal for 5 minutes will ensure a proper break in and even distribution of the grease inside the shaft housing. When the grease is distributed properly the shaft can spin faster, thus a higher rpm. There is definitely a break in period for AEGs gear boxes (spring looses some strength over time ect) but not nearly as much as tools. Because you usually don't run your gun on auto for 5 minutes, the grease used on the gears is much lighter, and breaks in much more quickly. This would mean that you could drop your brand new motor into the used gearbox and run at peak performance.

The only other thing I can think of that could possibly effect the rpm is the polish on the brushes. Over a brushed motor's lifetime the brushes polish and wear down and eventually must be replaced (usually other parts fail first however). Depending on the care the factory takes when making the brushes, it may take a few minutes of run time to get the brushes polished up so the motor runs optimally. If you bought a fairly high quality motor, I would expect that the brushes already have a good finish.

As long as the grease in your gearbox is well distributed, I'm fairly certain that you could drop the motor in with no adverse effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
that would be because the Dremel uses graphite sticks as brushes.
(there is 2 things around the motor you can unscrew to swap them once they are worn.)
now this is not a thing you find on airsoft motors (or rc) as it tends to just be a coppers leaf spring contacting the motor.

but it is used on tools like a grinder and in this case your Dremel.
and the "brake in" is just sort of polishing the brushes (graphite sticks) so there is less resistance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Aeg motors use something much more like a proper brush over a simple contact leaf. Lonex has replacement brushes for their motors. Fit other motors too. Many aeg motor brushes have improper comm cuts on it. Instead of having a smooth large contact, the are installed 90* out (generic brushes) so there is 2 high points making contact at top/bottom of the comm. you most definitely can "break in" an aeg motor. There are various guides for doing so in distilled water at low voltage. It beds the brushes down really fast. A few min and your brushes are toast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used only the water break-in for an AEG motor in PKM due to the high RPM and long shooting periods. Used demineralised water, low voltage 3V for a 15 min period then cleaned with a bath of ethyl alcohol. Depending on the motor branch you could get a dirty water filled with metallic grains or just a few.

Also there´s a way to diminish the shaft wobble, increasing the rpm with metal foil tape.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a very nice article, GoRzA! If I really get into fixing up AEG's, I might make a Deans to motor tab adapter like that.

But don't forget to post an intro! I'd love to see what other great articles you can find in the future.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
There are better ways to break in a motor as the way described on PopularAirsoft means the motor will get very hot.
The way that I have previously done it was to hook the positive and negative up to the battery so that the motor is cycling. Then put it into a bowl of deionised water. The water will cool the motor and since it has no impurities, the water will not conduct and so it will not short circuit.
I have even done this with normal tap water and it still works.
I would only recommend wearing it in for a couple of minutes.

To be honest, in airsoft it does not make much difference but in RC cars it will help it to run faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts