Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buckings Vs. MCcaster IR Hop Tubing

Hey guys,

So I had a can of duster gas. I got bored and sprayed it on my hands. I then put it upside down so the liquid could come out. It was cold. So cold it hurt. Anything above 30degrees Fahrenheit would make a sizzling noise and turn to at least below zero within 2 seconds.

I decided to test buckings and the cold using this.

*all pics are 1-2 seconds after items are removed for substance. They are soaked on the inside and out.

Tubing frozen:

Squeezing frozen tubbing took no extra strength, no cracks or damage:

Frozen bucking, i couldn't squish it.

Full weight of a drill with battery in it on top if frozen bucking, no bend:

I refreeze bucking and squeeze it hard/fast with pliers, no damage:

I super froze the bucking, cold enough that it would have "steam" coming off of it and I couldn't hold it without major pain/skin damage. I picked it up out of a little pool of liquid and pushed down hard and fast with my pliers:

I super froze the tubing, but it was unaffected and took no damage:

After warm-up:
I dipped the tip of the bucking inside the pool of the substance for 3 seconds, and squeezed the non-frozen end, frozen end didn't move:

Duster gas ran out, then so did my fun. I encourage you guys to do your own tests with buckings in cold, it lasted about an hour, was fun, very informative, and cost about $9. Be careful when playing with dangerous substances.
So IR hops really works. What do you guys think? Do Ice bucking work, or will they fail under the intense freeze?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow

What temps were you freezing them at, they probably would preform the same in worldly environments(not -20 degrees ferinhight) but none the less that is preaty cool
I am going to to check the temps when I get home. I had no tools while I was doing it so I'm going to rely on the can.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have you used the Mccarter tubing in place of hop rubber?
Yes, I have been using this for about 6 months now.'

EDIT: Also sniping spud, you are correct, it wont be this cold in winter but it will still affect the bucking, and in airsoft sniping you need your bucking to not get any harder than it is or you will have to re-adjust.

I also found that liquid propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. This duster gas was colder than propane. When it lands on your warm skin it makes a sizzling noise and hurts. It's at least -50 F+.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does it show good result?
Can you buy of eBay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yes, it is suppose to be almost the exact same as HS5's R hop material, but literally hundreds of times cheaper. You cant buy it off Ebay. Its on http://www.mcmaster.com All the info is here:
http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/32-general-sniper-talk/9551-r-hop-source-material.html
I may be able to sell you some, but It would be almost $5 for a foot after shipping, that is 5 feet from the website (You can only order 10+ ft).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow

What temps were you freezing them at, they probably would preform the same in worldly environments(not -20 degrees ferinhight) but none the less that is preaty cool
-20 degrees Fahrenheit isn't a real-world scenario? Pssht, my school district had to cancel school for < -40 degrees F with windchill a few days ago >:D Wisconsin is COLD.

But I agree, most places won't reach those kinds of temperatures, but any significant temperature difference will most likely require a readjustment of your hop-up. Your bucking acts a lot differently when you adjusted it at 95 degrees F and try shooting it at 25 degrees F...

Reactions: p2skater1

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-20 degrees Fahrenheit isn't a real-world scenario? Pssht, my school district had to cancel school for < -40 degrees F with windchill a few days ago >:D Wisconsin is COLD.

But I agree, most places won't reach those kinds of temperatures, but any significant temperature difference will most likely require a readjustment of your hop-up. Your bucking acts a lot differently when you adjusted it at 95 degrees F and try shooting it at 25 degrees F...
Precisely. How does liquid propane temperature feel? Wouldn't it burn you to walk out side?

·
Registered
274 Posts
It only feels really awful when it's windy. 15+ mph winds really make it a lot worse than it would be otherwise. However, frostbite will start to set in within 30 minutes at -40, so I wouldn't want to be outside airsofting anyway...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It only feels really awful when it's windy. 15+ mph winds really make it a lot worse than it would be otherwise. However, frostbite will start to set in within 30 minutes at -40, so I wouldn't want to be outside airsofting anyway...
yes, but this test was meant to show how cold affects buckings, it wont affect them ad drastically, but they still will.

·
Registered
215 Posts
With the right gear this isn't too much of an issue. Equipment gets to be more of an issue.

Either way interesting to see the effect on bucking material I was thinking about this today whole I was working on my vsr10 wondering how my hopup will change tomorrow closer to freezing(rather than way below zero where the temp was when I set it).

Luke

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the right gear this isn't too much of an issue. Equipment gets to be more of an issue.

Either way interesting to see the effect on bucking material I was thinking about this today whole I was working on my vsr10 wondering how my hopup will change tomorrow closer to freezing(rather than way below zero where the temp was when I set it).

Luke
Leave it in snow and it may freeze over time :p And also yes, I made this thread with no real goal in mind. Just to share interesting data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.