Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys do about all those creepy crawly things. I not not particularly afraid of them as they are probably more afraid of me and I have a thick qhillie suit. But one day I came home from a battle in the high grass and when I took off my shirt I had a dozen bug bits and four ticks inside my skin. :eek: My ghillie suit had numerous bugs crawling all around in it and later that day I heard reports of a rattle snake sighting in the area.

I am just wondering if there is like a spray or something that you can use to repel all those insects. ???

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Things aren't that bad here in Michigan. But the mosquitoes get pretty bad, we hunker down with bug spray and if that doesn't work... mud is the next best thing.

I had a raccoon come up to me once in a night game a long wile back, and a deer has gotten pretty close too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I have some stuff called Jungle Juice and it is 98% Deet. But I am more worried about Black Widows, will that keep them away too. People have been hospitalized from a bite before. And I heard some strange rummer that eating match heads will deture anything that sucks your blood becuse it chemicaly alters something... is this true?

·
Registered
131 Posts
i dont think i would try it...

what i did learn in a Scout/Sniper (real steal) competition was that if you kill one of the spiders (in this case a Brown Recluse which is right up there with a Black Widow) and smere the guts over an article of clothing such as a hat visor or even your gloves. its suposed to deture another spider from coming near you. its like the opposite affect of killing a wasp... once you kill one, its blood has a chemical that other wasps can smell and more from the hive it came from will come and investagate.

now... im not entirely sure if this is true or not but it did come from a Marine Corps Sniper, so it could be credible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... Never thought of that. I thought it atracted bugs when you killed them. So now what do you do for the reptiles. Those babie rattlers are visious becuse they don't control the amount of venum they release. One bit could nearly kill. Is there a way to deture them?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sometimes even your scent can give you away. People walking very close smell something funny, whether it's your bug spray, deodorant, or even spray paint from your gun. I usually use a tiny bit of bug spray and only in the height of summer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya... My ghillie had a ton of paint on it and I was getting high wile playing. I was also smelled out from down range by some guy with a saw and he just lit up the field with bbs... So then do they make some natural smelling bug sprays or none cented ones.? And how do you get rid of those awful snakes?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wait, but all that does is eliminate oders i don't think it is a bug spray. And does the bug spray repel bugs by the sent it gives (so eliminating the sent would render it usless) or is it something else that keeps the bugs away when you put it on...?

P.S. i carry a knife anway to cut down natual folage for my ghillie, I think I did shoot and kill a snake with my airsoft rifle once while I was playing though...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Seems like everytime I'm at the MOA tac field out here in Michigan a spider has to crawl across my goggles, I'm usually just soo focused on the game that I never truely care. I have had many bites that I couldn't explain and almost too many times I have had ants crawling up my legs and arms. I suppose after the first good insane ant biting and whatnot you just get used to it and it doesn't bother you so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't really worry much about the bugs or reptiles down here in jersey. The only bugs you can really run into are black widows and the perhaps the occasional guarder snake if your lucky. However the flies can be somewhat terrible if you're playing by a body water. I never put on bug spray. I hope for the best.

·
Registered
89 Posts
in FL you have snakes, spiders, and bugs and lots of them. I usually just have a stand in the tree for that reason. not saying it always works but it helps. also I carry around a knife. one time I did save a man from a nasty snake bite(cotton mouth) when I went to shoot him, missed, and hit a cotton mouths's tail behind him. I saw the snake curl up and it went to bite him so I yelled a warning to him and shot as the snake went to bite his lower leg and the wind blew the bb to the left an inch or so and went through the snakes head as he was strikeing. he was freaked when he felt a warm liquid oozing on his leg. I ran to him and saw he was ok and he thanked me so many times. I picked up the snake and it was about 2 ft. big snake. to bad he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

LiKeBuTTeRsBaCK said:
"The soldier dies for 15,000 poorly placed rounds, the sniper dies for that one... perfect... shot"

·
Registered
156 Posts
When you're done with your ghillie, keep it DRY as much as possible. Damp Ghillies attract bugs and creepy crawlies. I recommend some Insect Aerosol right after your game during storage. This can keep some Bugs OUT :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've always tried to watch where I step, and secure a hide from all the creepy crawlies. But when you're on the offensive, things always get ugly for me here in FL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.