Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I finally have all the required materials to build my very own ghillie suit but as I always like to be a 110% sure of everything I do I'm back here, seeking advice.

I have everything, the netting is sewn and the burlap is ready, the one problem I have before dyeing it and start fixing it up on the netting - how much burlap should I have (very approximately) for a L size bdu ghillie (not yeti).

I'd like to know from your experience how much you actually need as you lose loads of burlap while destringing it the usual way, so I wouldnt just use the dyes for a quantity of burlap that turns out not to be enough for the whole ghillie and having to repeat that process ... :)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your worried about losing burlap"while destringing it the usual way" You can try removing the threads before you cut the burlap into strips. That way all those 2-3 inch pieces of burlap you lose will be saved.

interesting video for the art. 8 or 9 parts though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
For netting... A TON! For most new ghillie-ers, you'll think you have more than enough after your trip to the store, but you'll probably have around half as much as you need.

Also, I would look in to getting a small amount of twine. It's basically jute/burlap fiber blended and twisted together. Don't get too much, just put some here and there, and since it's naturally twisted it gets all bound up and twists into the jute, giving the ghillie more shape.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I used a combination of Jute twine (from a hardware store), burlap strips (fabric store) and Jute string (http://www.ghilliesuits.com/jutestring-naturaltan.aspx). All in all, I had about 3 lbs of the jute string and maybe another assorted pound of twine and burlap for my crawl suit, hope that helps a little.

I also made mine with the idea of 40% jute, 60% natural vegitation in mind, the mix is up to you and how much work you want to do at the field.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.