Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so most of my friends are getting into airsoft, and they know I'm into playing the sniper role, since that was my role in paintball.and i did make my own ghillie from scratch. They all recommend i steer clear from the bolt action rifles and get an aeg. Not sure what i want though...
so here are the rules of the field:

Sniper Rifles (Semi Auto Rifles) - 50 Feet Minimum Engagement Distance
Maximum of 440 FPS with a 6mm .36g BB (3.3 Joules)
Maximum of 455 FPS with a 8mm .34g BB (3.3 Joules)

I've narrowed it down to:
D-Boys SPR MK12
TSD AGM M14
A&K SR25

big question would be, what kind of mods and which is the most cost effective, or what would any of you recommend?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another convert!

Initially I am of the opinion that new players should start with a AEG (in stock or near stock form). Learn what the differences in attitude and game play between airsoft and paintball, Every AEG will perform pretty close to each other, much like a paintball markers all pretty much all perform the same. I this way I agree with your friends, however for the sniper role in airsoft, bolt action sniper rifle replicas are superior in my opinion than gas or electric.

Most fields around here restrict velocity on replicas. Although, bolt action replicas are given more leeway and a higher fps limit. This is the advantage of a bolt action (spring usually) sniper rifle replica in airsoft, You have a higher fps limit with .20 (500fps ,again around here) which allows you to use a heavier BB at average to above average velocity to a AEG. This heavier BB is where you gain some accuracy and range over a upgraded AEG. A upgraded AEG, at least in my areas are still limited to AEG velocity limits (400fps) so use of moderate weight BBs like .25 are the more appropriate. For real precision shooting a bolt action (spring) sniper rifle replica is going to be more consistent , quieter and accurate of your choices. But you give up Rate of fire, This is the advantage of a AEG. In the end you get what you are happy with. But I strongly suggest you spend some time on this forum and some others before you make your decision go through some of the old archived posts. There is a forum header that breaks down each of your choices, Be it a TM VSR10, (Jg BAR10), A CA M24 or a maruzen or a electric replica you mentioned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
basically for the past 3 months I've immersed myself with all these forums regarding sniping and have read all those links as well. i just haven't had time to compare firing off a bolt action vs an aeg.

since i live in San Diego and the weather is pretty consistent all year around, and given work and family. i picture playing once a month, with the occasional training or quick skirmish in between. not sure if i can pull off anymore than that.

in regards to my choice of weaponry I'm still not sure of what i want, ideally i am game for maximizing my limits in terms of rules. i would love to be able to shoot a .30 BB at an 455fps, and this is accurately also. like i said before i narrowed it down to 3 AEG's, if in terms of a springer I'm leaning toward the jg bar 10.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The Bar 10, basically a direct clone of the VSR, is probably the way forward for you as you already have prior experience of the roll when you played (What we do not mention here ;)). It comes at a reasonable fps out the box and is easyily upgradable to be more reliable etc. and it will be cheaper to do. If you still want to go down the SASS route be prepared to shell out alot more cash than you would for a bolt action to get it running at a comparable accuracy and reliability ;)

We only recommend an AEG as a starter to absalute noobs who don't know which end of a gun the bbs come out from, but have seen sniper 1, 2 and 3 and played sniper elite and then think they can do it for real
I think it safe to say as an ex (unmentionable ;)) you would, at least, I hope you would :-/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.