Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely new to airsoft, only played 2 times so far with my new JG Sig 552 - cheap little gun I know, I just got into this to have a little fun with some friends. So forgive me if I'm asking the wrong questions, I'm not trying to waste your time. That said, I did pretty well with it up against my friends who are using highly upgraded/modded AEG's. My kill/death ratio is 6/1 so far - call it beginners' luck... I have always liked being the sniper (or at least the idea of it), and so I find myself intrigued by this forum.

I have to wonder though, would it really be a viable option for me? Would the range and accuracy of say, a modded and lightly upgraded JG Bar 10 be enough of an improvement over the typical AEG to give a real range advantage? And if so, is the increased range worth the loss of semi-auto to have to cock and reset for every single shot?

My little stock JG Sig 552 seems to do pretty well up to about 120-150 ft, but it definitely starts pulling to the right at that point (which is generally really annoying, but I've actually used to my advantage). The groupings are also pretty bad after 100 ft. or so. Needless to say, that doesn't help when the object is a quick, clean kill. You can't really snipe with an SMG...

So, against your typical AEG with an effective range of, say, >180ft, how would the above-mentioned Bar 10 stand up if it came down to a long-range shootout? What sort of range could I expect if I went for it?

Of course I realize that tactics are the key when you're the sniper, and ideally, you would be making shots before you're even spotted, but I generally play in small skirmishes in fairly small boundaries. A lot of times you can see half-way across the area of play, and so you generally have an idea of the vicinity of the opposing combatants based on starting locations. So if movement is not very stealthy it is difficult to get around unseen. With the Sig, I am at a slight range disadvantage compared to my friends, but would going sniper be a better alternative all things considered?

·
Registered
55 Posts
honetly Ive found that a stock bar-10 will shoot a little further than most aegs accurately with some heavier ammo say .28, once you get the hop up adusted right. Theres not too much you can mod on a bar-10 "lightly" usually the goal is to increase fps wich means a heavier spring, and for the gun to take the heavier spring you will most likely have to upgrade your sears, piston, and spring guide to.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It all depends on how you use your rifle, I have chosen to use my spring Maruzen over the dozen of AEG's that have come and gone. Its possible to pick off advancing players before they have any chance in reaching you. If you can shoot, and have clear shots, you will be effective. Even if you have a lower power rifle, you can use closer range precision sure shots.

I do not recommend a bolt action as a first gun, you need to learn the game first. An AEG is the best choice to learn how BB's react when shot and learning about hopup adjustment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
the argument can be made in either direction..

I have built both styles of weaponry.. and have had excellent Effective Range (ER).

In my area the max limits are...
TM M14 AEG (full Auto) 365fps w/ .25g bb --- MY ER w/ .28g ~150-180ft
TM M14 DMR (Semi-Auto Only) 450fps w/ .25g bb --- MY ER w/ .30g ~180-210ft
CA M24 Bolt Action (Spring Cocking) 500fps w/ .25g bb --- MY ER w/ .40g ~200-240ft

Now as you can see all three weapons have a comparable ER but a 10-20ft advantage still allows me to be taking shots as my opponents BB's are dropping right in front of me. But please don't over think this... that advantage is lost by the third shot and I am vacating the area or starting to retreat while still remaining engaged with or without the Kill. To help better illustrate here is an image from last weekends big Op in the CA deserts. The large foliage on the right was speratic with 200-400 meter gaps between the clumps.

That's me with my M24 but it really does show how open the field was.

Now all this stuff wont mean much if you mostly play in a jungle environment like those found in Hawaii or some heavily wooded area. The number one key to your success will be your field craft. Look into how you move. Learn what gives you good fields of fire and proper egress. Learn how to support team mates and have them support you.. because one thing is absolutely certain --- Airsoft is NOT a solo sport... even in the Sniper position.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
avnger003 said:
Of course I realize that tactics are the key when you're the sniper, and ideally, you would be making shots before you're even spotted, but I generally play in small skirmishes in fairly small boundaries. A lot of times you can see half-way across the area of play, and so you generally have an idea of the vicinity of the opposing combatants based on starting locations. So if movement is not very stealthy it is difficult to get around unseen.
It sounds very much that you would be better with a Semi Auto rifle that is tuned to DMR standards.

I hardly ever use my VSR anymore as most of the sites we play on are as you describe or heavily foliaged, with a limit of 350/340fps With .2s for everything so using a BA weapon puts you at one hell of a serious disadvantage.

We occasionaly play at sites that allow 500fps BAs but I know my SASSs so well now I'd rather use them with no MEDs than the VSR :-/

That is why I now own 4 AEG DMRs and only one BA ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Silent, Modified the post to better answer your question.

Vindi, I completely agree with you.
I have the weaponry for when I can use them but most of the time I find myself just using my AEG most often do to field regulations.

For me weapons are like golf clubs.. choose the right one for the needs of the mission (Game).
But the weapon is secondary your field craft and tactics are what keep you in the game alive being a threat to the enemy...
Master that FIRST and you can be as devastating with your SMG as the other guys are with their upgraded M4s.

Here is a pic of a buddy of mine... you should notice his weapon choice is probably not mush larger than your SMG... but for our area he is one of the most Effective players around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, you guys make some good points. And like I said, I have been pretty effective with my little pea-shooter - I'm definitely not one to try and go solo Rambo on everyone - I love making a plan, working as a team and making adjustments. But you're right, it seems like something in-between would better suit my situation. Only thing is, and I'll say this up-front, budget is a big hinderance for me. I really can't afford to put hundreds and hundreds of dollars into a gun, so getting all kinds of upgrade parts/kits is out of the question.

I've read through some of your posts vindi on some of those cheap mods like conditioning your barrell, padding the piston head and setting the AoE between the piston and sector gear, although I'll admit I don't understand some of them like the tappet mod, AB MOSFET, your hop mods, etc., and I'd probably be scared to try them on my v3 gearbox. I consider myself fairly handy, and I have taken down my gearbox a few times to clean/lube, but I don't know that I understand the mechanics well enough to start making cuts, and wouldn't know where to begin on shimming.

Do you think I could see any improvements out of my JG Sig 552 if I tried some of these mods? Is there another cheap alternative that would serve me better (I'm talking really cheap - I paid $100 for my current gun and couldn't really afford much more)? What are my options here?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Like you I am normaly brassic, it also doesn't help that I'm tighter than a sharks arse on a rainy day, which is why most of my mods are scratch built.

Its also good for guys like you, as it means you dont have to go down the route of throwing 100s of

·
Registered
207 Posts
I see an opportunity hear for you, if you can see halfway across the field at most times that is a challenge that a lot of people would embrace with open arms, and a gun in their back pocket ;)
That is an excellent way to work on your ghillie skills and stalking abilities. Because everyone knows that the best sniper doesn't have to shoot the farthest

And since with some of Vindi's mod's your rifle can easily shoot on par with pro outfitted ones you could rule your field, be the unseen god that everyone sees everywhere and yet is nowhere. He who can hit you with a shot and you don't know if he was 10 feet or 100 feet away. The one which every one cowers from and makes them so scared they are afraid to even walk around a simple corner ;) And he always there, in the rain, snow, sleet or shine he will always be there, to help his teammates and impair the enemy, and always, always hit his mark.

So go out there and seize the day and make us proud ;)
(wow, I didn't know I had that in me
)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Felt more like my football coach in the locker room before a playoff game
But thanks
. I want to make the new players feel like they're actually worth something cause' there is a fair amount of anti-noob sentiment out there, after all we all remember that first spring pistol from the sporting goods store ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
avnger003 said:
I am completely new to airsoft, only played 2 times so far with my new JG Sig 552 - cheap little gun I know, I just got into this to have a little fun with some friends. So forgive me if I'm asking the wrong questions, I'm not trying to waste your time. That said, I did pretty well with it up against my friends who are using highly upgraded/modded AEG's. My kill/death ratio is 6/1 so far - call it beginners' luck... I have always liked being the sniper (or at least the idea of it), and so I find myself intrigued by this forum.

I have to wonder though, would it really be a viable option for me? Would the range and accuracy of say, a modded and lightly upgraded JG Bar 10 be enough of an improvement over the typical AEG to give a real range advantage? And if so, is the increased range worth the loss of semi-auto to have to cock and reset for every single shot?

My little stock JG Sig 552 seems to do pretty well up to about 120-150 ft, but it definitely starts pulling to the right at that point (which is generally really annoying, but I've actually used to my advantage). The groupings are also pretty bad after 100 ft. or so. Needless to say, that doesn't help when the object is a quick, clean kill. You can't really snipe with an SMG...

So, against your typical AEG with an effective range of, say, >180ft, how would the above-mentioned Bar 10 stand up if it came down to a long-range shootout? What sort of range could I expect if I went for it?

Of course I realize that tactics are the key when you're the sniper, and ideally, you would be making shots before you're even spotted, but I generally play in small skirmishes in fairly small boundaries. A lot of times you can see half-way across the area of play, and so you generally have an idea of the vicinity of the opposing combatants based on starting locations. So if movement is not very stealthy it is difficult to get around unseen. With the Sig, I am at a slight range disadvantage compared to my friends, but would going sniper be a better alternative all things considered?
we were all like you at the beggining, i think you should really get to use and feel both types of guns then see which you are most comfortable with, i have an olive drad L96 with a 8-32x50 scope which is 20" long and mock silencer, now im ordering a co2 rifle (full auto, look at my post and you'll see the two guns im looking at), to sum it up it all depends on the person and if you get the right gun for you you could take out an entire team all by yourself

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.