Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the thread title states, I’m curious if you can add a bolt catch to an AEG M4 platform that doesn’t include one normally?
I seen some DIY for GBB,but don’t fully know what might be involved (or if it's even possible) if I wanted to add a bolt catch that would actually catch after pulling the charging handle back and release upon depressing the bolt release button

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you trying to make an AEG in to a bolt action sniper rifle?
he wants the fake bolt to stay locked when pulling the charging handle so he can adjust the hop.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes and No.

No, in that I haven't actually seen anyone do it and there are no faux bolt catch kits/parts.

Yes, in that you can certainly diy something, or just buy a lower and upper with the function inbuilt (vfc and cyma platinums do it I think).

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
99% of the time I simply remove the fake bolt. To me, it's a superfluous part that really doesn't need to be there.

Thats how i feel about them, I have a krytac trident mk2 and just took that out. I just pull the charging handle back if the hop needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly what Shara had indicated
I was looking for something that locks the fake bolt back after pulling the charging handle as to make hopup adjustments

My local field is also a paintball field, I don't have the option to remove the fake bolt, Murphy's law dicates that paint would get inside. This isn't even a situation where I lay my AEG on the ground, as in paintballers from the next field may have a stray paintball (and I'm out my AEG for the whole day, not including upwards of half a day to clean all the internals out)

·
Registered
130 Posts
A little late to the party, but I know that VFC Avalons and probably other VFC series rifles have this feature out of the box. Pull back the charging handle, locks the bolt cover to the rear. Release the bolt catch to, you guessed it, release the bolt cover. Taking a look at the mechanism now, it's not so much as an easy modification..

·
Registered
316 Posts
You could drill a hole in both the receiver and fake bolt so you can slot a pin in, but to be 101% honest with you, I don't see how holding the charging handle back is that much of an issue.
It's not like you're constantly adjusting the hop, you do it once and leave it set

·
Registered
959 Posts
A little late to the party, but I know that VFC Avalons and probably other VFC series rifles have this feature out of the box. Pull back the charging handle, locks the bolt cover to the rear. Release the bolt catch to, you guessed it, release the bolt cover. Taking a look at the mechanism now, it's not so much as an easy modification.. View attachment 18521 View attachment 18522
You would also have to modify the lower with a functioning bolt catch, which I would consider much more complicated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your feedback

@The Shaggy Sniper
I’ve seen another variant set up that “appears” simpler
It’s just a hook system and the fake bolt plate itself is on a spring attached to a rail
However the problem with that is a) I don’t know where one can get the parts and b) I feel like if I glued/attached the hook in wrong location…I only have one shot at it or risk misalignment
@Skara
The crazy thing is I do adjust the hop more than I realize. I been using it to adjust for distance (to get over various barriers and pull off some unrealistic curved shots). So dropping my gun down…pulling the bolt catch and then with my other hand adjust the hop leaves me exposed. I realize I shouldn’t be doing this, but over the course of the day, I’ve noticed I exploit the physics of this for 3 to 5 shots (and actually connect)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts