Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a Sniper forum, but I think you guys would be able to give me the best help. I am getting into a "DM" role and have some questions. Some of you may know me from MiA. I will be using a CA SR-25, that Tex from MOA is selling me, that falls under the 50' engagment limit.

1. Should a "DM" wear a Gullie?

2. I am thinking about getting a KJW P226 Pistol for a sidearm. What is the best way to carry it waering a gullie (i.e. Drop leg, Cross Draw, or Shoulder Holster)?

3. For extra mags ( 1 SR-25 Midcap, 3 P226 pistol mags) what would be the best way to carry them as well?

Thanks
Cale

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
360gamer88 said:
I know this a Sniper forum, but I think you guys would be able to give me the best help. I am getting into a "DM" role and have some questions. Some of you may know me from MiA. I will be using a CA SR-25, that Tex from MOA is selling me, that falls under the 50' engagment limit.

1. Should a "DM" wear a Gullie?

2. I am thinking about getting a KJW P226 Pistol for a sidearm. What is the best way to carry it waering a gullie (i.e. Drop leg, Cross Draw, or Shoulder Holster)?

3. For extra mags ( 1 SR-25 Midcap, 3 P226 pistol mags) what would be the best way to carry them as well?

Thanks
Cale
1. A Designated Marksman should go and have a ghillie suit, please ensure that you've spelled this correctly, a "Ghillie" suit is a great essential to any hidden marksman.

2.This is really a personal preference, I'd personally suggest a Drop Leg if you can get a good one to stay tight, if not then a shoulder holster should suffice.

3.If you're playing the role of a DM using a SASS (Semi Automatic Sniper System) then you shouldn't have to worry to much about going out and getting 5 midcaps, maybe take one or two with you, as possible essentials, other than that. You're good. Best way to hold this is just pockets, unless you have a drop leg or platform to support it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Excellent questions, with good answers. My two cents on the thought.

A common misconception in the airsoft world is what a DM is. In airsoft, people use the term for a sniper who uses an AEG as a Designated Marksman.

However, in the military, a Designated Marksman has little to do with what equipment you use, but rather, what your job is.

The easiest way to put it is, a Sniper could most easily be thought of in the classic military role, (for example: ghillie, bolt action rifle, sneaking through the jungle). A Designated Marksman would be more like a S.W.A.T. team sniper.

There is also a military role of Squad Designated Marksman, in which you are still a squad member in a the traditional infantry rifleman role, but you have some extra training that gets your eyes and rounds on target a little better.

I think you're talking about being a traditional sniper in the jungle ninja sense. In this case, you should definitely wear a ghillie. The purpose of a ghillie is to make you look like ANYTHING but a person. I think entire squads in woodsy airsoft games would be wise to put at least a little ghillie elements into their camo around their head and shoulders (the most common element that identifies your shape as human).

To the point:

Drop leg is now the traditional way for everyone to carry a pistol. However, many snipers in the real world who are stalking all ghillied up carry a pistol and spare magazines in a shoulder holster under their ghillie top.

I think a cross draw is a bad idea if you're going to be prone. Airsoft guns can be tough, but dragging it through the woods laying on top of it certainly won't prolong it's lifespan. It will also probably dig considerably into the ground and your body. I wouldn't like to wear one for this purpose, but hey, if you like it, you'll find a way to make it work.

If you think you'll need to immediately transition to your pistol (quickdraw), go with the drop leg. If you just want it in case you run out of ammo, the shoulder holster is a safe bet. Depending on your ghillie, it may or may not be difficult to get to. Just leave a button or two undone.

Whichever way you choose to carry your pistol would also be a wise way to carry your ammo. You can get a drop leg holster and a drop leg ammo pouch for your support side leg.

The side your shoulder holster pistol sits on could be balanced by dangling mags from that side too.

In your specific case, I'd recommend these pieces of gear for either option, depending on your budget.

Drop leg:
Ammo platform
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=87
Holster:
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=45
Pouches:
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=133
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=65

Or something similar. I would like this setup because you can use zip ties to mount the triple pistol mag pouch to the single mag shingle so they draw toward your back. Then you can get them out from the prone pretty easy AND it saves leg space. But play around, maybe you'll like it.

Shoulder holster:
https://tacticalassaultgearstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=77

I was actually searching for a shoulder holster that has two molle panels on either side, but couldn't find it quickly (I loose patience for that stuff when I'm searching FOR someone else...lol). I know it's out there, you'll just have to search harder than me. It's essentially the same concept as the drop leg I showed you above, you just moved where the panels were...

You could consider using a butt stock mag pouch for your spare rifle mag. Then you could go with whatever more traditional shoulder holster you wanted. I saw Leapers ones for like $14.

Remember, those were only examples. Search around for something in your price range. You can always find airsoft knock-offs for cheap, but just like the rifles, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually there really isnt a Designated Marksman in "SWAT" because all members of S.W.A.T. have to be ranked as a marksman shooting. There are, however, Sharpshooters that use bolt-action rifles (Usually M700 and the ocassional M24's). You could call them Designated Marksman but its not really their title. Its like calling a General an "Army Man" when you were 5. Ect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Яoman said:
Actually there really isnt a Designated Marksman in "SWAT" because all members of S.W.A.T. have to be ranked as a marksman shooting. There are, however, Sharpshooters that use bolt-action rifles (Usually M700 and the ocassional M24's). You could call them Designated Marksman but its not really their title. Its like calling a General an "Army Man" when you were 5. Ect.
A General IS an Army man...

Every team/branch/section has different names for jobs, and this is my point.

Are we done hijacking this thread?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand you explanation of a "DM" and a sniper, I like it, its helpful. I was planning on a ghillie suit to help blend in. I can still shadow my squad, I'll just be a little farther off, hideing.
As for gear, all I would be carrying would be:
1. SR-25
2. 1 Extra mag (I would have one 150rnd Mid cap in the gun and one extra.)
3. Pistol plus 3-4 mags.
4. Radio
5. Maybe hydration if I can find room anywhere but you get the idea.
I was acually thinking about going this route.

http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_74&products_id=976

It is interchangeable for left or right handed. But I shoot left handed so haveing on my right side, weak side, will work fine. I'll be gettting a M14 pouch to hold my SR-25 mag. I'll just have to get used to drawing my pistol with my weak hand. But it only takes a second to switch it to my left anyway.

Thanks for all the helpful coments.

Cale

·
Registered
299 Posts
That actually looks like a pretty decent leg shroud. I'm impressed.

With the setup, you're talking about, I'd recommend a buttstock mag pouch
http://www.spectergear.com/m4_bmp.htm
They also have others for different type butt-stocks and mags.

Then you could more pistol pouches on your drop leg holster and there may be room for a little "accessory" pouch for back up cleaning supplies and/or bb's or whatever.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sounds like you're building yourself a pretty nice loadout, I'm looking forward to seeing what exactly it looks like when you're all done and happy with it. I'd reccomend being the guy on the field with the insanely awesome pistol, just something silver and shiny that when pulled from the holster can be seen a mile away, and can only make the enemy say "Damn.. We're done"

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinion. you can call your self a DM or a sniper. It really does not matter. Nor does the equipment you are using. Although a upgraded AEG or springer sniper rifle can give you another advantage some of the time in range.

I personally consider a CAMELBAK as a absolute requirement with a ghillie suit. Ghillie's are HOT, and uncomfortable. you need to be hydrating constantly just to be safe.

You should travel gear light but I don't. I am weighted down with everything I thought I might use. This includes a KWA glock 17 in a drop leg holster. three magazines in a tac vest holster. 4 M14 magazines, M14, binoculars, 6 AK mags, 1 RPK drum, RPK or alternatively a mp5a4 and 6 hicaps , two radios, first aid kit. Camelback, canteen to refill camelbak. Everything has its place and it does not encumber me as I am a big guys and a ghillie slows you down to sloOOow motion anyway. I maneuver with with all this crap. Usually when moving the RPK or mp5 is at hand until I find a rally point and usually leave the RPK here. Then I more forward hide to take my shots I go indirectly here if I get made or I need to move to a new AO. I can then lay dog or make one heck of a stand before I am eliminated at the rally point. My goal is support of my team and my platoon, (two radios, two channels) You need to communicate with your platoon team so you can support them and THEY can bail you out of indian country during a extraction. Don't get me wrong, this is WAAAaayy to much stuff to be carring on the field with a good chance of losing something.

Now next time I am on the field it needs to change a little because, 1. the RPK is still broken, 2, I have a VSR10 now. I will probably carry the m14 or the mp5 at hand with the VSR as a secondary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I'm hoping everything comes together right. My loadout is going to be fairly expensive (but who's isn't this days) so I am probably getting it all in pieces. But I should have it together fairly soon, with my tax refund and that extra tax beneift check were getting in March (I think).

I'll also be posting my loadout on here, I'll see what the Marksmen have to say, and on MiA for general audience comments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, Jeep, I have total respect for you. Never heard of that kind of load out for airsoft sniping!
That's crazy! I am a small guy, and I dare not thinking about all those equipments. Pretty sure there are times that they saved you(and your team mates hides), eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.