Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Choosing the right spring and making it work.

125K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  dschmidt 
Non-linear vs. linear spring

so which would be better for a JC build, linear or non-linear springs, since you said that piston needs to travel slow at first then fast at the end.

i found this also in another forum......
"So I've been asked the question "What's the difference between linear and non-linear springs?" several times, so I figured I'd make a post here for reference.

There's a little thing called Hooke's Law that governs the forces and displacement characteristics of springs. This law states F=-kx with 'F' equaling the force exerted, 'x' equaling the displacement distance of the spring, and 'k' representing the spring constant value of that particular spring. Now, what this means is that if the spring is considered linear, its 'k' value is constant. If the spring is non-linear, its 'k' value varies along the length of the spring.

Now that the basic concepts are out of the way, it's time we actually look at what this means with respect to airsoft springs. If you pick a spring, and are unsure what type it is, there is a very simple way to determine it. Please note, do not mistake this as a method for determining the strength of the spring, or the 'k' value. You could determine this value by actually testing the spring, but that's another concept for another day. Anyway, just by visual inspection, if all the coils over the entire length of the spring are equally spaced out, then you have a linear spring. If there are sections of the spring where the coils are closer together or are a bit wider than other parts of the spring, it is a non-linear spring.

Okay, so now you know the basics and how to identify the spring type by visual inspection, it's time I answer another question I get following the first question a stated above: "What's the difference in using one over the other?"

Basically the point is that with a non-linear spring, at the beginning of the compression cycle, the spring constant 'k' is lower and the spring can therefore be compressed more easily. This puts less stress on the other internal components such as the piston teeth and gears because the spring is easier to compress. As the spring is compressed, the constant increases which eventually equates it to linear springs of the same rating strength-wise. Think of it this way, non-linear springs come kind of in stages, sorta like putting several small springs with different 'k' values together.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.