Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm gonna be filling my M24 stock with clay to add weight and some "heft" to the feel overall but I was wondering which clay you guys would advise using. I'm basically deciding between these two rightnow:
- Black Oven-bake clay
- White Non-Hardening Clay
The black one says "It's soft, easy-to-use and stays soft until you bake it." and I'm obviously not gonna bake it, but will heat eventually do this slowly?

Also, I've been reading that using a airsoft silencer is illegal.. I'm in California, so I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what I should do. I currently do have this silencer on my M24, and it has two end caps that screw off with some cheapo foam inside. Should I be scared to take it to the field or is there an alternative? I do plan on getting a longer than stock barrel so it is needed.. Not sure what to do about this.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I think if the white clay is a little harder than the oven bake clay (before it's baked) then you should go with the white. Non hardening modeling clay is normally pretty stiff, which means you can peel it off if needed. If it is stiff it will also hld it's shape and not move around. I could be wrong and it might be just as soft as the oven bake clay, but I have the generic brown non hardening clay and it is very stiff. Out of curiosity, why do you want a longer barrel? The only thing it will do is slightly increase fps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what kind of clay you're talking about, but could you link me please? This is what I found. but I don't think it's what you're tlaking about. haha

As for the barrel, it's because the Snow Wolf M24 has a barrel length of 485mm, which isn't normal for aftermarket barrel lengths. I can either get a PDI Hop up chamber and go with a 509mm or stick with the stock hop up unit and go with a 499mm APS2 barrel.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm not sure if my clay has a brand. I got it several years ago at an arts and cafts store. For all I know it could have come in a package shaped like a clown head. Any clay should work really, I just find the tougher ones peel off when you want to take it off, instead of coming off like a mushy gunk like I've seen other clays do. One thing I will note about my clay is when my bar10 gets left in the sun too long, the clay gets hot and softens considerably. That's not a desireable trait but I haven't had a problem with it so far. (Pretend this is another paragraph lol.) As for the silencer problem, those laws have been a very fine line that sometimes gets a little blurred. If you use a mock silencer that doesn't do anything to muffle the sound you should be good. Putting foam in there is getting boarderline. You shouldn't get any flak about it if you bring it to a field. Just don't piss off the wrong person or they might bring it up as a legal issue. Unless of course you have a silencer permit which is hard to get. Research the silencer laws specific to your state, because california sometimes has laws regarding these things that the other 49 states don't, or at least that's what I've been told. You should have an airsoft forum specific to your state, so check that to see if you can't find info about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll just go with the white clay then, since I found that brand when I first read about a clay stock mod suggested by the user. haha I was just worried that it'll dry and become brittle and start breaking inside my stock and potentially get into my internals, which is a very bad baddie.

I took the foam out of the silencer to be safe, although with the foam inside with some other cloths I originally had, it did help quiet it down a bit. I'm gonna keep it empty until I find out a definitive answer about my local county laws, as California is known for having some messed up laws depending on county to county stuff-_-

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
That clay is called non hardening for a reason. If it was going to become hard and brittle just from being exposed to air, it would be called air dry clay. The clay I have has lasted me several years of being the bottom half of a rubber mold for casting with rubber and being stuffed into my bar10 stock. It took my bar10 up to a little over 8 pounds last I checked, and that was without the bipod. It doesn't feel like a toy anymore and it is quieter. You just have to be strong enough to be able to carry it for a while.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well sometimes things are advertised falsely, yknow?:p Like the Jav/SW M24 being fully APS2, but then me buying a $26 adapter that doesn't fit it-_- lol anyways, thank you for your help with this. I definitely can handle the extra weight, I prefer it:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't plan on letting it get too hot. I wont be leaving it out in the sun and what not.

As for the barrel extension/silencer, if I use super glue/epoxy to get the extension to be basically permanent on the gun itself, will it still be illegal? I would remove the foam and stuff inside of course. I really just need it to cover the extra barrel length I'm gonna have..

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've played in 90 degree heat with my black bar10, and the clay only softened. I briefly mentioned this before. You'd need to be playing in a giant toaster for that clay to liquefy.

Actually I think if the silencer is permanent it is legal, even with the foam. Again, I don't know about the california laws, but I'm pretty sure that applies here in new jersey. If it is permanent I don't think it counts as a suppressor/silencer, but like I said, I don't know california laws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.