Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I saw that there was another thread on here about lubricants safe for the cylinder on a sniper rifle. I did not want to bump it up from the dead, so I made a new thread.

I have been using some silicon oil on my cylinder but want to try something else. Mainly because what is all over the piston and cylinder is grease. Just wondering if I should apply that instead.

When I first opened up my rifle (awhile ago) I noticed there was grease slapped on the cylinder parts everywhere. I am going through a total clean up with my rifle. I have it all apart and am tweaking everything over the next few weeks.

As of now, my cylinder, cylinder head, piston, and spring guide are lathered in grease. Here is what I want to do:

1. I want to wipe down every part, removing the grease, cleaning up the cylinder parts.
2. Next, I want to apply some new grease to the cylinder. Should I also apply some grease to the piston as well?

And what grease should I buy? Here is what I have been looking at, but what puzzles me is the fact that the grease is in the aeg section. Would this work fine with the parts I mentioned?

Link: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_253&products_id=696

I feel like a noob asking all this, but I have only ever used silicon oil on my cylinder, and grease just found its way onto my other laylax cylinder parts.

Could use some help

·
Registered
807 Posts
I use this on pretty much everything... unless its a part that I know should use silicone spray:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1295693&CAWELAID=319653149

its cheaper, you get 3x as much and Ive never had any problems, even in home made high pressure applications. Its whats lubing up my ASR right now actually...

as far as over greasing... i dont know that thats really possible, but the necessary parts are the rubber, and i put some on the ends of the spring and the bearings on my piston guide.

the thing you need to be careful of is mixing lube, if you mix two kinds that have different bases, it could actually create more friction. but if you are cleaning it up then you will know what is on there for later.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks man. I really just wanted to clean up my rifle and there is grease everywhere. I do not have any more of that grease, so I needed to get some more. Therefore, I will clean it up, that way I prevent the stuff from mixing together, and like you said, causing problems.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Go to a hardware store and find some whilte ithium greese. It should be in a tube that looks like tooth paste.

I have always used this and it works great. That and it is easy to put in your repair kit for on field tweeks.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip, I will go check it out. I like buying stuff from the local areas. Way cheaper than stuff on airsoft websites, not to mention, you get more bang for the buck.

Also, Woogie, it seems you are making a grocery list of some sort for me
So far, its

1. barrel cleaning kit
2. lithium grease
3. And the teflon tape

lol, what would I do without you ::)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed, white lithium grease works just as well and is quite a bit cheaper. If you want, it also comes in a pourable tube, or a spray can. Just make sure you don't use it in your barrel or hop up chamber. Also, you will want to dry fire a few times before reinstalling to blow all the excess grease out, instead of in the barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Paypal good with you

And Waldo, when you say dry fire it, do you mean firing it with just the cylinder unit and trigger attached?

Basically, just take a few shots with just the cylinder set and trigger, and after blowing off the excess, then reassemble.

P.S. Woogie, your avatar!!?? I am so used to seeing a harry little beast

·
Registered
23 Posts
"And Waldo, when you say dry fire it, do you mean firing it with just the cylinder unit and trigger attached?

Basically, just take a few shots with just the cylinder set and trigger, and after blowing off the excess, then reassemble.?"

thats exactly what i meant, thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
LOL .....

Yeah I was watching Hoodwinked with my nephew, and that is one of the characters in the movie. He is a cool little guy.

But yeah dry fire your rifle a few times to make sure that you get all the greese out of the system before use. Or really clean your internals after you get done lubing your rifle. That and make sure that you don't use a huge amount of lube, because to much is never good, at least in this use.

You should use just enough lube to cover the parts and wipe off the extra. Because to much is never good. It will only cause problems in the long run.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just want to add my two cents because I'm having a problem related to the piston.

Try to add enough lubrication to the o-ring area of the piston head so that it sufficiently gives a good airseal. Aside from the usual push-down-and-see-if-there-is-resistance test, the sound of your dry firing will also tell you.

My problem was that my gun became way louder after I opened the gearbox to replace the air nozzle. I believe I wiped off some of the grease that was on the o-ring. After asking on other forums, ppl said that it was due to an airleak between the piston head o-ring and the cyclinder, which resulted in no air resistance when the piston head hits the cyclinder head.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Applied the white lithium grease last night. So much better than the grease that came on the rifle. I applied it to the parts after doing a total wipe down of everything. So far, it looks and feels good. I am guessing that the air seal around the piston and piston head (accuracy cup) is slightly better too.

And that stuff is cheap, and will last me forever.

Thanks guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.