Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres somthing to ask you guys.

I personally value Communications, and when stalking and doing recon, having a radio by my side is just as valuable as my rifle. Specially during big games, having a radio to communicate with my team helps me when decision making and how i should go about giving Sniper Support to where best needed.

Do any of you guys use radios during your games?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yup, but I mostly use mine to follow where I'm required to provide support to the team. I also only realy break silence to indicate if the threat has been eliminated and its safe to move on. This is all because just recently the team has been playing at faster paced sites, where I have been filling the role of DM more than sniper....quite nice not to have to wear the guillie in the height of summer ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yessir. Radios aren't always necessary, especially when moving with a well trained squad...however in largish games, the ability to contact the game moderators and other units is invaluable.

For instance, without radios, I would never know when half the objectives have been achieved. Also, if I'm holding a different area or am on my way to provide support, I need to know if I'm walking into a group of 30 hostiles, or a location held by friendlies.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Always Always Always

I don't go into any game with out it. I am in the process right now of trying to find a cobra radio with nice throat mic.

Radios are always a good thing..... Always better to have something and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey man, looks like you're trying to copy my setup. I've got a standard earpiece that clips to the collar of my BDUs, but I've got a $80 pair of cobra radios. Got them cheap, if I remember correctly ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too started off with a COBRA FRS radio i got from WALLMART when i visited some relatives in CA. that was way back. We used them for a while, but it did have some drawbacks on our terrain here.

FRS Frequencies arent as robust, as we discoverd that no matter what we do, signals can seem to push through THICK brush and in the rain, wether we go LOWPOWER or HIGHPOWER Modes, this this limited our radio use.. we always had to try to find higher ground before we can transmit.

before. in my team, only TEAM LEADERS used to have VHF for SQUAD to SQUAD coms.. while individual comunications w/in SQUAD were done via HAND signals or FRS (Motorola or Cobra) radios. Snipers used VHF due to its more robust nature. Throatmics also seem to have a slight distortion when it comes to trasmitting signals.. and in my opinion i dosnt work for me.. so Boom mics are the way to go.

So the remedy, all in my team began upgrading to VHF radios. SQUAD LEADS and MEMBERS alike. Also, individuals use a variety of mics. From Throatmics (For those who like it) to Standard Ear Hook Boom Mics. To real deal SWIMMERS and HARRIS Tactical Headsets Converted to be used on VHF Radios. I got one recently, i cant wait to use it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
All comments so far have been quite valid and I agree. Radios are a must at most games with an emphasis on larger OPs. In the real world, a Scout/Sniper team's job is 90% recon and intel. Having a link to squad's that can engage larger forces that you spot up ahead is a great asset.

I usually play the role, more often than not, of a DM like Vindicare said. Even when on the move in a fast-paced event you can still relay good intel to other squads or even the CO. A lot of the time I'll have people radio me when they have a longer shot that needs to be taken for the team to advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.