Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my custom SSG10 for about half a year now, and I’m considering selling it to fund my aquarium hobby.

I’m very passionate about aquariums, and I am in need of more funds, as it is a very expensive hobby.

The SSG10 I’ve used maybe 10 times, maybe, in all the time I’ve had it. I’ve never used it in a REAL game even, just backyard skirmishes.

Kentucky is a horrible state for airsoft, as there aren’t any real fields - AT ALL.

——

I would assume the whole package would be worth over $850, for all of the extras I have bought, plus the original price of the custom rifle.

—-

Thoughts please? Have any of you guys ever been in this position before?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a bummer, why is that? Just because it’s been used? It is in really good condition.

I don’t know. I REALLY love airsoft and sniping, but I have no one to play with. :/ No local fields.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Same, but yeah, it's always to fund airsoft or whatever else I need money for.

You won't get new prices as airsoft stuff that's used doesn't have a warranty most of the time, and idk if you'd want to buy something used for slightly less than regular price.
That's why I buy used, you get lots of cool shit for less money, but you have to know what you're getting into.
If you put about $850 into your stuff, call it $900 and sell it for $700 accepting offers.
But I don't think you'll have great luck as I haven't met anyone who would buy all that stuff in one go.

·
Registered
922 Posts
There's a sweet spot for selling rifles, and once you get above it, it can be difficult to find buyers. Most people simply don't want to spend 700 dollars on airsoft in one go. Some rifles do maintain good resale value, and luckily for you, the SSG10 is one of them. But add-ons won't garner near as much money as you'd think, unless the buyer was already planning on buying those add-ons. To second SS, I enjoy buying used, as I will likely be able to make about the same about of money when it comes time to sell the items again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Customization or upgraded gears tend to scale very poorly in airsoft, and also much harder to sell than uncustomed/completely stocked gears at good condition since most buyers would be wary of the quality of the upgrades/state of usage as upgraded rifles tend to be used much more often than collectors piece

·
Registered
516 Posts
The problem as I see it is risk, personalization, and substitution cost

Risk – Anyone can claim anything they want. Even if it is delivered exactly as specified, time (money) is needed to inspect everything to confirm that to be the case. This is assuming the other party is THAT well versed to do the inspection.

Personalization – This hobbies is partly a fashion show, people identify with how their customization, so while you may think you perfectly upgraded everything, it may not be how someone else wants it. So again time (money) needs to be spent to change things they aren’t satisfied with it.

Substitution Cost – If I can buy the same items fully upgraded from a vendor at the same or nearly the same cost, why go thought you when you don’t have a reputation on the line? Therefore you have to reduce your cost to a point to justify the act.

These same cases are the same in nearly all products. Look at a car. THE moment that car leaves the lot, it dropped 10%. No dealer can just take it back without fully inspecting it. That’s cost that they wouldn’t have to do otherwise.

Have a realistic expectation of what you can get for it. You honestly will likely only recoup 40 to 60% of what you put in. That’s just the nature of used goods.

Reactions: PheonixKingZ

·
Registered
922 Posts
To second AsianGuy, the only time upgraded goods will actually fetch a price close to what was paid, it needs to be from a household name (big retailers like Evike, or well-known shops like Umbrella Armory), or it needs to be prepaid custom work (someone pays you to install/tune parts in their rifle).

·
Registered
187 Posts
@PheonixKingZ too bad pal you cannot enjoy this fantastic sport with a great rifle...
I would never pay this amount of money for a used airsoft replica, when I can buy it new for 300euros even with your "goodies". Risks that coming in my mind are significant...
Unlikely to sell it and get back all your money you've spent so far...

I haven't met anyone who would buy all that stuff in one go.
You will know one...Me...I bought everything in one go.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a sweet spot for selling rifles, and once you get above it, it can be difficult to find buyers. Most people simply don't want to spend 700 dollars on airsoft in one go. Some rifles do maintain good resale value, and luckily for you, the SSG10 is one of them. But add-ons won't garner near as much money as you'd think, unless the buyer was already planning on buying those add-ons. To second SS, I enjoy buying used, as I will likely be able to make about the same about of money when it comes time to sell the items again.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

I might hold onto it a little longer, and see where I stand then. Here again, I LOVE the rifle, but it’s just collecting dust now. I mean I guess I could always practice, but it gets boring just shooting rounds at trees.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It’s all about finding the right buyer. If you post it around a few different places, you’ll probably deal with 25 people wasting your time before you find the ONE buyer. Plaz is right, a lot of airsofters on the market are CHEAP. It pains me trying to sell things sometimes lol. Just post it up, test the waters.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Having been in airsoft for something like 15 years now, and most of that time into high end stuff, I can definitely say that the vast majority of people in this sport are cheap (and I'd attribute a lot of that to the average age of airsofters). Luckily Novritsch has the brand name and people are willing to pay more for his stuff used, but you're still probably in the $500-$600 range even if the stuff is mint.

Now having said that, and having purchased countless used airsoft guns, buying used normally sucks ass. Almost everything I've bought used has been in rough shape, even if it looked otherwise. There's just something about how people treat most airsoft guns that lends them to being pieces of shit mere weeks after buying new. This is a little less the case with rarer guns, but is very true of the more mass-market guns.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have decided that I'm going to sell the whole bundle - haven't played a single game in 5+ months and there's no play to play around me, it's just collecting dust. Problem is, I don't know where to start. Should I post it for sale on here? Ebay? Craigslist? How much should I post it for?

I know I'm not going to get my full investment back (cause this stuff isn't mint), but I wanna get a solid chunk.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here will get you some targeted interest, but it's fairly low traffic so you might not have fantastic luck. Reddit's airsoft marketplace gets much more traffic, but expect to need to repost a few times (there's also some rep required to post there so a new poster might not get eager buyers). Ebay, craigslist, and the hop up app are probably last on my list.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here will get you some targeted interest, but it's fairly low traffic so you might not have fantastic luck. Reddit's airsoft marketplace gets much more traffic, but expect to need to repost a few times (there's also some rep required to post there so a new poster might not get eager buyers). Ebay, craigslist, and the hop up app are probably last on my list.
Awesome, ok. I think I'll just stick with eBay, Craigslist, and I'll throw up a post here as well. Any suggestion on a price

1 - 20 of 22 Posts