Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Are airsoft consumables, in general, too expensive?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Some - Specify which

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clearly, we're all a niche example of the hobby in that we examine the precise pros and cons of any given product, part, or accessory we purchase in minute, anally-retentive detail and as such, demand consistently high tolerances, performance, and quality. I don't think that's unreasonable, and the old adage "you get what you pay for" is quite often a truism for airsoft.

Now, I'm sure we all understand that the world economy is in a state of turmoil (even if it is settling in some geopolitical locations), and as such certain products have fluctuated in price a great deal in recent months. I don't purchase many replicas (even if I had the financial stability, I've never been one to buy many) but the replicas I do have are "fed" carefully in that gas, BBs, or lube are all, if not top-tier, are very close -certainly not enough difference to make a difference. So....when I recently purchased 1000 .48g BBs I was expecting to pay a reasonable amount for them, and including shipping just forked over £28 - 32 Euros, 33 dollars.

That, to me is a significant sum.

Tamiya Cera Grease HG - dodged the shipping from Amazon UK but still parted with £10. I have noticed the difference since I started using it but it is only a 10g tube.......and again, that is a fair amount of the folding green stuff.

Gas - I use Nuprol 2.0 - is £6 for a mini tin and that is quite reasonable to my mind. In fact, the price of Gas has stayed fairly stable so I'm not going to grumble in that regard but my question (bearing in mind financial circumstances are highly subjective and mine suck) is that overall, or in general, do you think that the price of consumables is verging on the ridiculous?

Add together the green fee, gas, BBs, fuel, and possibly food.......a game day is starting to become an expensive proposition and as such is limiting the amount of play time I actually get to enjoy far more than previously.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'd say that BBs have certainly become unreasonable, and same with shipping and fuel.

I recall buying a bag of BLS .43g for $22 back in maybe 2018, which would be .9462 cents per round, but now for the same BBs its 2.0215 cents per round which is really quite unreasonable.
I can't imagine that BB plastic has become that expensive, so I'd put it down to shipping, but what I think is most likely is factories, retailers, and shipping companies raising prices regardless, using "inflation" as a cover.
As for green gas, I use a propane canister I refill from a large one for about $1 per charge, and my SSX23 uses less than 2 canisters a year, so for me gas is cheap. Really everybody should use propane, as outdoors you will likely be running or there will be wind to deal with the smell, which is really not that bad to begin with.

As for game days themselves, the last one I did was probably about $35 in BBs, $31 in field entrance, $25 in food from my house to there, $60 in gas in my friend's car, and the mental drain of camping in a Walmart parking lot.
Gas was actually higher than $60 that day as my friend turned a 2-3 hour journey into a 8-9 hour journey, and the return into a 6-7 hour journey. Next time I'm driving.

Anyways, having split gas, that's a $121 day, which is really quite expensive.
If we drive my Focus instead of his clapped out Imprezza SI, that should halve that gas, and if I bulk order BBs that should halve the BBs or a little better, but regardless I'll still be spending $100 a day at best.
This is why I only play about 6 times a year, it's just a pretty sizeable drain of my current income when I still have other hobbies to support.

Edit: 162 miles one direction

·
Registered
869 Posts
$25 on a new bag of .48s lasts me like 5 games, and my green gas canister has lasted me atleast 10. I just use my spring VSR and mk23. My one tube of cera-grease is going to last me atleast 10 games as well.

Tickets at my field are $30 (expensive, but oh well), and bbs cost like $5 a day. I'd say that's pretty reasonable, especially considering .48 cost like 3x normal bbs.

Reactions: Doctor Jest

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the mental drain of camping in a Walmart parking lot
Mate, you can't put a price on that ;)

I'm lucky that one of my local fields is 6 miles away. Yep....on the doorstep......another is 20 miles, then a scattering of a few ranging from 50-60 miles (all one way) so I don't grumble about fuel....too much.....but it all adds up.

I should definitely switch to propane, can't argue with the economy of doing so. Somewhere in the region of £18-£20 for the adapter and then approximately the same for propane which would certainly last me a year, if not more. BBs, however..........£25 for a bag of .48s which equates to 2.5p per round. That's approaching SGM territory and I point-blank refuse to buy those these days. I use .3s in everything else (some fields impose ammo weight limits on sidearms) but they are comparatively cheap (around £12 for 2000) and I rarely spam them. Tickets are around £20.....which, amazingly, has barely changed since I started......comestibles and fluids...varies. I try to stick to water as I hate energy drinks so it's free....but I do like to graze on the odd protein or cereal bar.

BBs are the killers.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I can do a days Airsoft for about £45 all in food, ticket,petrol,bb's,etc which for getting entertainment for 7-8 hours isn't bad I think.

Better than the cost of the cinema, not as great value as a video game.

Plus all the other benefits of a days outing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The nearest field is a 30 mile (nearly 50km) drive for me - and with gas prices being so expensive but even moreso in California, it's $15 in gas just for transportation. I feel bad for my old field back in Colorado, as that field was merely a 3 mile drive, and the next nearest one was 40 miles away - and it seems that in January my old field is coming to a close due to city expansion, but I'm pretty sure they're keeping it under wraps for right now. It'll kill the airsoft community, and the shop that's a couple miles down the road.

Once on the field... BB's I don't go through too often. If I play every weekend, a 1,000ct bag of .40g costs $16-$18, making that a pretty easy 01.6¢ / 01.8¢ per round, which would last me about a month or so. I'm not too picky on getting BEST-PROVEN-BRAND BB's - so I don't worry about shipping. A 10 pack of CO2 will last me about 3-4 weeks, $10 for the pack.

The field I play on now used to be $25, but just went up this month to $30. With that, we've also got $5 all day refills for HPA, however there's some rumors going around that it's about to become $5 per-fill. So if I don't need BB's or CO2, the cost of playing for the day is about $60 with gas, field ticket, and air.

Probably what's killing me is being a content creator that's not making any money. Electricity is expensive in California (basically 2-3x more expensive than everywhere else in the country), so charging up all the GoPro batteries, all the electronics, all of my external batteries, that'll start to add up. Throw in editing software, which I use the full Adobe Suite, that's $50 a month. I use paid music in my videos, $10 for that monthly subscription. Then the sheer amount of time that I have to spend at my computer editing the footage and rendering, it'll start to add up - overall being a content creator, I'll say is about $100 a month.

So how much do would I normally spend on airsoft in a month? About $180. How much do I spend now that my car is back in the shop, and I very well may need to buy a new car or a new engine? Nothin.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The nearest field is a 30 mile (nearly 50km) drive for me - and with gas prices being so expensive but even moreso in California, it's $15 in gas just for transportation. I feel bad for my old field back in Colorado, as that field was merely a 3 mile drive, and the next nearest one was 40 miles away - and it seems that in January my old field is coming to a close due to city expansion, but I'm pretty sure they're keeping it under wraps for right now. It'll kill the airsoft community, and the shop that's a couple miles down the road.

Once on the field... BB's I don't go through too often. If I play every weekend, a 1,000ct bag of .40g costs $16-$18, making that a pretty easy 01.6¢ / 01.8¢ per round, which would last me about a month or so. I'm not too picky on getting BEST-PROVEN-BRAND BB's - so I don't worry about shipping. A 10 pack of CO2 will last me about 3-4 weeks, $10 for the pack.

The field I play on now used to be $25, but just went up this month to $30. With that, we've also got $5 all day refills for HPA, however there's some rumors going around that it's about to become $5 per-fill. So if I don't need BB's or CO2, the cost of playing for the day is about $60 with gas, field ticket, and air.

Probably what's killing me is being a content creator that's not making any money. Electricity is expensive in California (basically 2-3x more expensive than everywhere else in the country), so charging up all the GoPro batteries, all the electronics, all of my external batteries, that'll start to add up. Throw in editing software, which I use the full Adobe Suite, that's $50 a month. I use paid music in my videos, $10 for that monthly subscription. Then the sheer amount of time that I have to spend at my computer editing the footage and rendering, it'll start to add up - overall being a content creator, I'll say is about $100 a month.

So how much do would I normally spend on airsoft in a month? About $180. How much do I spend now that my car is back in the shop, and I very well may need to buy a new car or a new engine? Nothin.

Wait a 60 mile trip is using around 12 litres of fuel? Your getting like 22 miles per gallon? If that's the amount of fuel your using I would suggest changing car would saving you thousands a year if fuel alone.

Maybe it's just the UK/European way but that's a mph g no one would tolerate for any normal everyday run around car for your average person.

I get 50ish mpg from my old 1.3l petrol and a bit more from my other 1.6l petrol and efficiency wise their ancient tech compared to new cars.

Honestly I would be looking at trading in the mobile money burner and looking for something more economical.

·
Super Moderator
4,170 Posts
Eh, I honestly quit caring about the cost, however, let's do the math anyway. I am putting this together with the most expensive run I have to date. Field fee $20, BBs $40 (bag of .30 and .40, this fluctuates depending on brand I buy), green gas $8, EG67 $40 ($10 each), 70 mile round trip (35 miles each way) so at current gas prices ~$10 in gas maybe $15 if I have the AC cranked. Food $15.

So at the most expensive, its about $140 for a weekend. Though some of that is quite subjective as I dont always carry frags, green gas, and BBs last roughly 1 month if I am not SAW gunning (probably more as I dont go as often as I would like, due to my work hours and changing my sleep schedule is rough on the body.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Everything is doubled b/c for 2.....

50 - field play (all weekend)
20 in gas (round trip for 1 day, 40 if both)

25/day for .25/.30/.36 depending upon platform used

80 Pack our own food

And then there is the budget for BST as I am ways on the hunt for items apart from hopup or other retail (I have run out of room at the inn so some things may go.....) 100 (mainly gear transitioning from airsoft grade to better quality)

135/day
210/weekend (before bst)

The last time I got. 3's, 27/bottle of 5k. Just spent 32 for a bag that only had 3k in them. Time for me to transition from rifleman to sniper.....

Cheers,
BroHay

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wait a 60 mile trip is using around 12 litres of fuel? Your getting like 22 miles per gallon? If that's the amount of fuel your using I would suggest changing car would saving you thousands a year if fuel alone.

Maybe it's just the UK/European way but that's a mph g no one would tolerate for any normal everyday run around car for your average person.

I get 50ish mpg from my old 1.3l petrol and a bit more from my other 1.6l petrol and efficiency wise their ancient tech compared to new cars.

Honestly I would be looking at trading in the mobile money burner and looking for something more economical.
Oh, that's actually how I'm saving money right now... Car's currently in the shop (and has been in and out for the past year), and we're trying to figure out whether or not to put her out of her misery, bite the bullet and get a newer car, or spend the $4.5k for a new engine to bring her back to life. It's only a 2007, but the mechanics screwed up and now the engine's shot... In the meantime, no car means not spend money on airsoft for the most part... Which is a shame because I was so excited to try out the new toys.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oh, that's actually how I'm saving money right now... Car's currently in the shop (and has been in and out for the past year), and we're trying to figure out whether or not to put her out of her misery, bite the bullet and get a newer car, or spend the $4.5k for a new engine to bring her back to life. It's only a 2007, but the mechanics screwed up and now the engine's shot... In the meantime, no car means not spend money on airsoft for the most part... Which is a shame because I was so excited to try out the new toys.
For $4.5k could you not get an old but more economical car? Once it's fixed I would assume same fuel consumption so still paying out. From a rough calculation for every 3 miles you drive per year you could pay an extra dollar on top of the 4.5k and be slightly better off if you find a car that does 45mpg and than halving fuel costs every year after.

So more Airsoft toy money.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Even in here we definitely saw a hike of prices in stuff like gas and BBs (although not like a huge amount)

·
Registered
41 Posts
$25 on a new bag of .48s lasts me like 5 games, and my green gas canister has lasted me atleast 10. I just use my spring VSR and mk23. My one tube of cera-grease is going to last me atleast 10 games as well.

Tickets at my field are $30 (expensive, but oh well), and bbs cost like $5 a day. I'd say that's pretty reasonable, especially considering .48 cost like 3x normal bbs.
5 games or 5 days of play? Wow if the former

Just did the math on my use and 1000 rounds should last me about 5 days of 10 games a day or about 2 months.

·
Registered
869 Posts
5 games or 5 days of play? Wow if the former

Just did the math on my use and 1000 rounds should last me about 5 days of 10 games a day or about 2 months.
5 days of play, and that's if I'm DUMPING bbs.

Reactions: Ghost
1 - 17 of 17 Posts