Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Are airsoft consumables, in general, too expensive?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Some - Specify which

Votes: 2 22.2%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clearly, we're all a niche example of the hobby in that we examine the precise pros and cons of any given product, part, or accessory we purchase in minute, anally-retentive detail and as such, demand consistently high tolerances, performance, and quality. I don't think that's unreasonable, and the old adage "you get what you pay for" is quite often a truism for airsoft.

Now, I'm sure we all understand that the world economy is in a state of turmoil (even if it is settling in some geopolitical locations), and as such certain products have fluctuated in price a great deal in recent months. I don't purchase many replicas (even if I had the financial stability, I've never been one to buy many) but the replicas I do have are "fed" carefully in that gas, BBs, or lube are all, if not top-tier, are very close -certainly not enough difference to make a difference. So....when I recently purchased 1000 .48g BBs I was expecting to pay a reasonable amount for them, and including shipping just forked over £28 - 32 Euros, 33 dollars.

That, to me is a significant sum.

Tamiya Cera Grease HG - dodged the shipping from Amazon UK but still parted with £10. I have noticed the difference since I started using it but it is only a 10g tube.......and again, that is a fair amount of the folding green stuff.

Gas - I use Nuprol 2.0 - is £6 for a mini tin and that is quite reasonable to my mind. In fact, the price of Gas has stayed fairly stable so I'm not going to grumble in that regard but my question (bearing in mind financial circumstances are highly subjective and mine suck) is that overall, or in general, do you think that the price of consumables is verging on the ridiculous?

Add together the green fee, gas, BBs, fuel, and possibly food.......a game day is starting to become an expensive proposition and as such is limiting the amount of play time I actually get to enjoy far more than previously.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the mental drain of camping in a Walmart parking lot
Mate, you can't put a price on that ;)

I'm lucky that one of my local fields is 6 miles away. Yep....on the doorstep......another is 20 miles, then a scattering of a few ranging from 50-60 miles (all one way) so I don't grumble about fuel....too much.....but it all adds up.

I should definitely switch to propane, can't argue with the economy of doing so. Somewhere in the region of £18-£20 for the adapter and then approximately the same for propane which would certainly last me a year, if not more. BBs, however..........£25 for a bag of .48s which equates to 2.5p per round. That's approaching SGM territory and I point-blank refuse to buy those these days. I use .3s in everything else (some fields impose ammo weight limits on sidearms) but they are comparatively cheap (around £12 for 2000) and I rarely spam them. Tickets are around £20.....which, amazingly, has barely changed since I started......comestibles and fluids...varies. I try to stick to water as I hate energy drinks so it's free....but I do like to graze on the odd protein or cereal bar.

BBs are the killers.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have to watch the finances and if it does prove uneconomical I can switch to AEG and pistols as BBS are the main factors. Unless I travel further afield and then I am knackered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts