Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

been a long time since I been on here, lots of other stuff to do like school and work...

I dont know if I should place this here, but I cant seem to find any tactical thread anymore.

I was wondering if you guys know some tricks to be effective for counter sniping.

I found a vid on youtube from (I think) 6mm hunters, but they showed very little on the subject.

I'll continue looking on the net, but this being an archive for sniper intel, we might aswell post what you know in here.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
What I do is find out where the guy is operating from. Listen to your teammates to find an area that you are getting taken out with single well placed shots.

I then will just kind of skirt the outer most area where the other sniper was located at. And lay and wait as long as possible. Trying to see places where I would set up shop or take shots from. Watch for anything out of the ordinary, mis-colored grass, large clumps, tree cancer, glints, or something that just doesn't look right.

Call into your teammates, if in the area, and try and direct them to that location. If you are able to get rounds near that area, the sniper may try to make a move or take a shot. If he does, then you got him.

I have found that a lot of the sniper on sniper tactics are really one off, and are never the same. The biggest thing I do is look for things that just don't fit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so basically it's just outsmarting the other sniper

6mm hunter tactic (as seen on youtube somewhere):

You walk around, spot an enemy sniper in the corner of your eye,
you carry on what you were doing (pretending to scout the area for your team), you walk out of view and show some small movement to catch his eye. Then you make some handsigns, which he can see, and tell your "team" the area is clear.

now you back track just out of his view and then the obvious happens...

I think this only works if the enemy sniper takes his time to place his shot, not shoot at first sight. You have to be alert aswell, but you have to be that anyway so that shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Whenever I think about counter sniper, two different scenarios come to mind:
1. You are set up in a position and a crafty enemy sniper locates you; an engagement begins.
2. Although there are countless ways this can happen such as a enemy sniper hide location being radioed in to you or stumbling across a snipers location on your own, you are spotted by an enemy sniper and chose to engage the target.

In general I find that sniper vs. sniper engagements either last forever or are over before you know it started. For the first example, you can either try and out shoot your opponent or you pick up and move when you think the situation has gotten too dangerous. If you fail to knock out your target initially and you are forced to 'haul ass out of there' the tactic I most commonly use is simple; disappear only to 'show' yourself again in the most unlikely of places and take a shot. Try and leave eyes on your target(I would use a spotter), and hook around to that unlikely position while in radio contact with your 'eyes on man', pop up and squeeze off your shot. Hopefully you will only have to do a relocation tactic once in your efforts to take out the enemy sniper but sometimes that is just not how it goes.

While out scouting, stalking, or crawling to a position and you locate an enemy sniper there are a few things I like to do. If I am uncertain on a possible target I like to send out a scout and lie in wait to see movement or a shot taken at my advancing scout. If I have time, I like to set up into a well concealed position and simply wait and watch for movement or some confirming object of the enemy sniper. If out of the corner of your eye you notice movement and you 'just know' it is a sniper the key to success is to say calm and professional; remember all your skills: get eyes on target engage quickly or if still unnoticed find cover and engage.
If you have been sent out to knock out an enemy sniper element, gather as much intel. on the surrounding environment and location of that enemy. As usual proceed with caution throughout your stalk but be especially careful when you are getting close to the possible location of your target. When you have a visual of the general area the sniper was known to be operating in, I find that I rarely move more than 20ft every 5-15min. You must take a very long time at each position you move to scanning the area. I am glad to have a spotter with me because a two man team can always have one person scanning while the other moves. Once you have a confirmed visual on the enemy sniper, the goal is to get only as close as you need to take a confident shot at the target; you don't want to try and get too close and be detected nor do you want to compromise your position by taking a shot from a distance you are unsure your rifle will be able to easily hit from.

The general idea of counter sniping takes all of the basic, and not so basic aspects of sniping and intensifies them to the limits. After all, the biggest threat to any given sniper is an enemy sniper.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I really wish they hadn't formatted this whole forum so much, I had a sticky on this exact subject. Looks like I'll have to make another one, definately on my to do list. Expect a full blown few paragraphs on my personal experience playing airsoft sniping for about 5 years now, as well as actually working with Scout Snipers as well as US Marine Force Recon. Anyways, while it takes some time to write it up, please feel free to post some sections/questions you want covered in the write up. I'll try to put in pictures as best as I can, but alas I'm working off of free computers that I can get temporarily as well as my Droid2Global phone. So that's all I got to work with.

-Mosin

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Look for anything out of the ordinary.

Tree cancer is usually a good place to start.

Anything shiny, glossy.

Perfect shapes, because there are no true circles or anything of the like in nature.

Colors that just don't look natural.

Shoulders and head. These are the most noticed parts of a person, regardless of age or other factors.

Any noises that don't belong, as well as any smells that don't seem proper. Like if you are stalking a few players and you don't notice a smell, then you suddenly smell cigarette smoke, and none of the players are smoking..... should probably stop and take a carefully look around.

Movement.
A lot of people will try and be very stealthy when they move. But a lot of them don't realize what is happening to the plants and trees further up. A small movement at the base of an object will make the top move a huge amount.

Slug trails.
When ever you move you will leave a trail. If you see one in the distance and it suddenly stops.... look at where it stopped. There is a good chance that there is someone laying there.

Those are the main things that I look for.
The same things that I look for when I am out coyote hunting as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There are two types of enemy sniper fire: effective and ineffective.

If the fire is ineffective, don't let him pin your whole team down behind cover while you sit around wondering what to do or where to go but terribly afraid of getting hit. If he's not hitting anyone, go about your business and leave their team down one man sitting in a bush being worthless. If you were to get him out, he might find somewhere to be effective.

If he is effective, you need to get online and bound toward him. Some of you might get hit, but you will have taken out a bigger threat. An effective sniper will decimate a hesitant unit with his precision fire.

Now, if you're talking about sniper vs sniper battles like they show in the movies. Patience is your greatest weapon. Unfortunately, airsoft games are generally a few hours and not moving or doing anything the whole game is a mite boring...but you simply have to wait until he gets bored first and pop him when he starts getting complacent. If you hunt him while he's dug in, you're not going to win unless he has his iPod in watching Star Trek in the rain...
When you are sniping patiently, your ears are your biggest asset. You don't have to see it if you can hear it. Just wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.