Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am looking inot a ghillie suit (woodland) and I was stuck on a few issues. I was looking into getting a full body ghillie(Front, Back, Head, and Feet) but I realized that I would not have easy access to my side arm, binoculars, magazines, ect, and I would not be able to crawl in it. however, the full body ghille adds extra camo, especially when kneeling. Which do you guys prefer? Do you guys ahve any good links for some good Crawl Suits?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I am not a big fan of the full body suits. Just too bulky and in my opinion, unnecessary. Most of the time, you will be in prone, and when you are not, you are most likely moving to another position to go prone. And that means that the area is most likely clear.

Even though the full suit will help while moving to a new location, the cons just outweigh the pros.

Full suits are too heavy, bulky, hot, difficult to carry sidearms, and for the most part, unnecessary. Therefore, I would go with a crawl suit, and not the full body suit. After all, if you really want to use your ghillie effectively, you will be in prone, not kneeling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with Fuzzy in that I'm just not a fan of the "full" ghillie. The professionals don't use them and unless you're looking for something to hunt/photohunt in, I just don't see the practicality of it.

Something you might consider is if you are like me and prefer to move about a bit while sniping in airsoft, a "stalker" suit might be more in line with what you're after. They are light, allow for easy access to equipment and quick mobility but still offer the basics of concealment. They don't let you melt into your surroundings the way that a crawl suit does but they cover all the basic concepts of concealment and if made well, allow for quick attachment of natural veg which is the most important part of concealment IMO.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a "good" stalker suit for sale on any of the ghillie sites. This is the best I have seen so far, but I find even this one to be a bit much and I don't think they sell these.
(starts around 1:58)
I much prefer a well cammo'd boonie cover over a hood design. I think you can get the idea. though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That one looks like a pretty good platform to start from but needs some modification IMO. And it's not clear what the basic construct is. It says nylon netting in a 1 size fits all, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would like to see what the inside looks like, but there's lots to work with there.

Mods, I would make;
It's very bushy with a STINK load of jute which is a bit overkill I think and talk about HOT! I would take out at least half of whats there and expand the back panel down to below the waist line. I would add a few straps to add natural veg. I see a lot of guys with store bought ghillies leaning heavily on the jute to give them cover. Really jute is best at breaking up your outline. Natural veg is what really gives you the concealment you want.

To be honest, that price tag seems a bit much. If that's the budget you're working with, I would just go for a good crawl suit and modify it to your play style.

The stealth suit on that site looks like a pretty good deal, and the fallback I send all my friends to is the Bushrag ghillie, also listed on that site. It's big and bulky but the best I've seen so far.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Shooter8191 said:
I do not have the time to make one between school and sports. Do you guys know any good links where i can find one??
Thanks
The part of ghillie making that takes the longest is sewing down the floss to the netting. You can skip this part and simply use the shoe goo as the only thing holding down the netting. This will cut down the construction time in half. I am currently making another ghillie with only shoe goo, and without having to spend all the time sewing, I can get the job done much faster.

Than all you have to do is dye and tie the jute on. While this will still take some time, working on the ghillie in small sections over time will add up.

You can also go with just the ghillie jacket and boonie until you are able to find more time to make the pants. Since you are only doing the back of the jacket and the headpiece, this should not take near as long.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Shooter8191 said:
I do not have the time to make one between school and sports. Do you guys know any good links where i can find one??
Thanks
I'm a 15 year old, who plays sports too, but I'd just suck it up and make one. I've already made one crawl suit, soon to be another, full on ghillie.

To make one, don't get fancy and sew the thread on, like fuzzy said, shoe glue/rubber cement is best. Even sewing on the tread to your boonie is a total pain.
Then go to the dollar store/fabric store (check the dollar store first though), and get some cheap-o dye. Don't get the fancy stuff. Buy a fat spool of twine and a few potato sacks (if you can find them) for cheap burlap. The twine gets all tangled and wrapped up with the burlap and other twine pieces making it look unrecognizable. Then, I would recommend getting some "no shine" spray paint in dark green and brown, and really soaking in and darkening the color, because sometimes the dye doesn't get to it too well, especially when you are playing in very dark and shady redwoods. Of course, this can vary, and if you are playing in flatlands/meadows, you might want to skip this and save yourself a buck.
If you did go for a full body ghillie, don't do the waist/lower chest area. It isn't needed, and is better not to so you can easily access your mags and pistol, and whatever else you need... binoculars, walkietalkie, cigars ::) .
Also, when you make your own, it's good to put in some elastic bands (hair bands, old backpacks, online stores) so you can strap in some branches, grass, and whatever, aka veg.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Check out the stickied threads in this section. There are a few good tutorials by both me, PVT 13, and a few other members. There is also a new thread with links to some useful videos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No, not really. That one also looks very bulky and it makes me sweat just looking at it.

Of all the suits on that site, this one looks the most like what I would prefer. http://www.ghilliesuitwarehouse.com/products/StealthSuit-Ghillie-Suit-Set.html

So I finally found a few pics of my ghillies and I'll put 2 up to give you an idea of what works for me. You will see right of the bat just how much less bulky my suits are and I do it this way for the main reason of it's stinkin hot in Texas AND it forces me to attach natural vegetation. The other thing I really like about the "less is more" approach is that it makes it much easier when wearing an LBV or gear on my belt that I need to get to fast and easily.

So anyways, here's the stalker top without veg and without any jute added, just burlap. I where this when running a DM/Scout role with a chestrig over the front.

And here's a more full suit version of it I use when playing a sniper role on hot days.

Both of these are without a mud bath or any natural Veg attached so while they look a little bare, when used correctly, you disappear quite well ;)

The barest spots on the back are where I attach elastic to strap on veg and I intentionally left the back of the knees bare as when I'm crouching, the bottom of the torso sits below so I didn't see much need for adding it there.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That stuff is called canvas. I use it sometimes, but really don't like it. It's easy to spot if you use a lot, it's best for a filler, where you put jute over it. This is burlap http://www.catalogclearance.com/products/sku-NB0312__dept-145.html. I would recommend either buying some of this and some dye and putting it over the canvas or strip the suit and start over.
But who knows, I haven't seen it in action. It could work great, but my experience in the field with canvas is a no-go.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yup...

You can make your suit as thick and bulky as you would like, or as thin an minimal as you like. It all really comes down to what you like and what you are more comfortable in wearing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.