Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use scopes on their sniper rifle that have mil-dots on the crosshairs/do you use the mil-dots or ignore them? I know my scope has no mil-dots and I dont feel I need them but I would like to see what others think.
reply away!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use mine (the vertical ones) because I get a bit of vertical movement across my effective range (120 to 240 feet). I set my scope dead on at 200 feet but I might have the bb climbing a little from hop at this range, so closer and farther away I hit lower and so compensate with the mil-dots.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I try to use my mil-dots for range estimation but I still have to figure out exactly what magnification I need to do that at. I also use the horizontal mils if there is wind; they don't do too much but they help a little. Obviously I don't need to use the vertical mils for gravity because we have hopup, and unless you lob the bb, once the backspin stops your bb will fall to earth. Same goes for if I am shooting something moving.

I personally could manage just fine if I didn't have them. Mil dots are a nicety not a necessity in airsoft.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I use Mildots and actually have a chart I made that tells me what Mildot to aim for when shooting at longer distances or in windy conditions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I shoot real steel as well so I've never actually thought about this! I love my mils and it seems pretty alien even thinking about using normal crosshairs. It's only just really popped into my head with you asking this question that not everybody uses mils.. I always assumed people did! :ashamed:

If you learn your gun and what you've got it tuned to, then you can use your mils for more precise shots. For instance, at 250ft with a .43g bb in my Cheytac ; the bb drop will be -2 mils. So if I aim +2 mils from the zero then I should hit my target centre mass. (regarding in the correct conditions with a 0mph wind speed)

They really are very helpful!

Zero

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dont use Mildot on my M700
I have my ordinary crosshairs zeroed in at 320ft.
Any longer ranges than that, i usually wing it :)

But i do have a Tasco 3-9x40 Mildot scope that i plan on using on the M14 DMR that im about to build.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Stiener Binos have good Mil-Dots for estimating long ranges that I trust, but the cheaper rifle scope has dots that are too small and spaced too far apart to really be used to estimate a real short distance, I think. The small variation in head and shoulder widths at such short ranges makes using the dots very error prone. I put a 6" wide piece of paper up at 100' and counted the dots, but in practice using the dots range could be off like 30% (70' shot = ouchie) The scope came with a table that was only expressed in yards and I somehow doubt the reliabily of that dope.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I use the horizontal ones more than the vertical. I would love to know how to use it to judge distance. Usually if the target is moving I will lead out a dot or so depending on speed of target, distance(guesswork) and elevation.

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You are supposed to sight it in before the game. Because it is such a short range my range estimation is rough at best, but estimating ranges just by guessing how far away the person is doesn't work for crap for me. I am terrible at estimation ranges without a range finder scope.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I am going to probably make my own formula to work with 4x magnification and short range. Right now I have to zoom all the way to 9x which makes precise estimation at short range impossible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.