Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Brand new to the group and looking for some advice.
I鈥檓 not interested in playing war games but I鈥檓 looking for an accurate rifle for plinking cans and target shooting.
The more I look the more confused I get.
The SRS A-2 and the SSG-10 look to have a high FPS out of the box but the Tokyo Mario VSR-10 gets great reviews and for some reason feels like a more practical choice.
Any thoughts on these or other options ?
Thanks

Registered
Definitely don't by an airsoft gun.

I suggest that you go to Pyramyd Air or Airgun Depot and ask them what they recommend, as they have a very good selection of the newest as well as the classics.

I used to be an airgunner, but I ended up selling them and spending the money on .22 LR ammo as I just like a .22 way more.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
Running live ammo at the range so long that I鈥檓 clueless about the alternatives for backyard shooting.

Registered
As long as you have a bit of property and a safe place to shoot (check your city ordinance as well) airguns will be a much better option. Simpler system, less variables, heavier ammunition, and a lot better precision as a result. Because airsoft needs to account for various safety regulations, they use lighter ammo and hopup. IE you're gonna be pretty inconsistent at any decent range past 60 yards.

Registered
In my opinion, if you just want to shoot cans, get a bb or pellet gun. Umarex makes a nice Glock 19 in 0.177 metal bbs. Only thing is that the Umarex Glock runs on Co2 and that might not be something you want to have to keep up with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I鈥檝e got a few very nice 1911 pistols and I鈥檝e always thought about long range rifle shooting.
I never realized that airguns have evolved to the point where they are.
Im thinking I can really get my sniper on and never have to leave the house.

Registered
I鈥檝e got a few very nice 1911 pistols and I鈥檝e always thought about long range rifle shooting.
I never realized that airguns have evolved to the point where they are.
Im thinking I can really get my sniper on and never have to leave the house.
I mean, if you want long range rifle shooting, like past 100 meters, then perhaps invest a normal rifle? As in the one that shoots something bigger than a .22LR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean, if you want long range rifle shooting, like past 100 meters, then perhaps invest a normal rifle? As in the one that shoots something bigger than a .22LR
Thanks but I鈥檓 not sure my neighbors or the police would appreciate it.
BTW : I have a Ruger 22lr fluted pistol w/red dot. Perfect for the range
however !
im lo for a stealth neighbor setup

Registered
Lots of airguns come with integral suppressors these days so they are quite quiet.

Here's a list I'd recommend

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys
never realized how many options were available in airguns.
Lots to learn and so many possibilities. Had no idea you could spend $200 or $2000+
Dont know how anyone could figure it out without utube or the internet.

proverbial discord mod wannabe
Thanks guys
never realized how many options were available in airguns.
Lots to learn and so many possibilities. Had no idea you could spend $200 or $2000+
Dont know how anyone could figure it out without utube or the internet.
You could even get a fully automatic pcp air gun.
5 Best Full-Auto Air guns (fieldandstream.com)

If you are shooting less than 15 metres, I would recommend a semi auto or revolver air pistol, as in my opinion, it is more entertaining than an air rifle.

If you want greater precision, there are also incredibly accurate target shooting air pistols.
A cheap option is the PP700 SA

Past 15ish metres, I would go for an air rifle, as air pistols just don't have the power to reach anything past this.

PCP air rifles have been quite accurate in my experience. More accurate than a lot of .22 LR rifles to be honest.

Registered
The only reason they are more accurate than a .22LR is FPS consistency and projectile consistency.
If you could cough up enough money for match grade .22LR then you would get comparable accuracy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I鈥檓 narrowing it down to a PCP model. Might be a hassle and added expense regarding recharging. (Hand pumpI got is out of the questio)
The 鈥淏enjamin Marauder鈥 is currently in the running.

Registered
The list I linked above is probably the best at the moment, unless you are planning on buying an FX or one of the Russian ones from Talon Tunes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The list I linked above is probably the best at the moment, unless you are planning on buying an FX or one of the Russian ones from Talon Tunes
Thank You Sir
i did a search on them and the reviews were mixed. Being a Newbie I need to rely on the reviews.
Thanks much for your input.
Im down to the 鈥淗atsan AT-44鈥 and the 鈥淏enjamin Marauder鈥. Both are at the same price point and available with packages that include scope.
Both have great reviews, including the scopes (which isn鈥檛 alwayahoo the case)
Now dwellin on 1.77cal or 22 cal 馃

Registered
Before you set your mind on something, make sure it has a regulator.
If it doesn't, don't get it, your shot count and accuracy will be way worse.

For calibers, .177 kind of sucks for accuracy and hunting, and .22 is way better for both, and .25 is even better.

I suggest .22 unless you are looking to do serious target shooting as the ammo is very common, and half the price of .25.
I also suggest that you only use 18-33 grain JSB pellets, they are the best around and cheaper than most you will find.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts