Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my sniper rifle at the beginning of this summer, a UTG MK96, starting completely new to the world of airsoft sniping. I therefore am still rather green in the area of combat. But through a series of extremely unfortunate online transactions, I have learned a few hard lessons. They consist of a few extremely amateur mistakes, that can be a little costly when details are overlooked. I'm writing these mistakes down, in the hope no one else will make them

Firstly:
Power does not guarantee distance or power. All it guarantees is that your bbs will hurt more. With that in mind, don't go out and but a nice, strong, lethal spring that makes you cackle maniacally when you put it into your cylinder. The only thing that spring will be lethal to is your trigger box.

Secondly:
This parts a little tricky if you're completely green like I was. Some websites post the details of the product like this:
Angel Custom PSS10 Mega-Up VSR-10 Power Up Spring - SP190 (520~600 FPS)
Model : [AC-VSR-SP190]

What does this mean? Well when I looked at it my eyes shot straight to the part I cared about; the 520-600 fps (coincidentally the same detail that would destroy my stock trigger). A lot of products have the tasty details tacked onto the end of the product like that. What my eyes glossed over was the "PSS10". What that meant for me was that it was probably not even compatible for my rifle. For those who don't know ( I was one of you until about 40 minutes ago) this is what those pesky little codes mean.
(the following is a quote from fuzzywolly, god bless his soul)
PSS2=APS2
PSS96=l96
PSS96=MK96
PSS10=VSR10
Some PSS2 parts work for PSS96 but not all of them.

Itso facto, that PSS10 is not compatable for my gun

Thirdly:
Chinese puzzles can be really fun. But not when thats what your gun turns into, after you disassemble it with the mentality "I'll remember where that went!
". For all that is holy, use one of the magnificent disassembly/reassembly guides provided on this forum, that some nice people took time out of their lives to write. It is a sign of intelligence, not weakness, to use help.

Fourthly:
Use a website that has been verified as a reliable one. I currently have a UTG upgrade trigger back-ordered somewhere in Russia, because I did an amazon search. Airsoft Atlanta, Trinity, Evike, and other high profile sites would be good places to look.

Lastly:
Chinese knockoffs are cheap for a reason, and its not because their labor is all that cheap (wages in Asia are actually rising at 20% a year). Its because minimal effort and quality went into its construction. My friend bought what he thought was a bargain AEG M4; it came with a box mag, grip, lazer site, red dot site, and (supposedly) all metal internals, and all for 200 dollars! Well the reallity is much less apealing. Its fire rate is probably half of what mine is ( I have a M4 I bought locally) and its gears make an ominous whirring sound. Long story short, with airsoft in general and especially airsoft sniping, the amount you spent has a dirrect corelation to the quallity and effectiveness of your gun (I actually have evidence to support this statement).

I hope this was helpful, and I am sorry if this was in the wrong section!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
This sadly happens more often than not...... this is why a lot of research and looking is needed before you buy anything.

I really hate it when a company will sell parts, and not tell you what parts would be nice to have so your rifle doesn't explode.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Stickied, but I feel the need to change the title to be more specific and catch people's eye. Perhaps, "Difference between Parts, Deciding what is Right for your Rifle", or something along those lines.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes I agree.. Its hit or miss knowing if any part I buy is going to fit on my UTG MK96.. I think a list would save a lot of time and money. I bought an Angel 190 powerup spring and the company swore up and down it would fit a UTG MK96. It didn't and now they wont take it back.. Thank you Evike.. :)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
UTG MK96 rifles take PSS96 parts. The only PSS96 part that may not work in the UTG is the spring if you do not have the correct spring guide diameter size. For instance a PSS96 spring may not fit your 7mm PSS96 spring guide, and you may need to get a 9mm spring guide.

VSR 10 series rifles: PSS10 parts
APS2 rifles: PSS2 parts
L96 series (maruzen compatible): PSS96 parts

Done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is there a guide to find out what is compatible with what rifle? For example I have an a&km24 and read so many things on here and other places and videos that it is 'partially' vsr10 compatible. But what does that mean - where does the compatibility begin and end? Is there some resource that tells you out there is what I"m wondering if it's not so cut and dry like in my case. How would I know if the hop-up chamber is vsr10 or just the spring- and are there parts that are universal like say an inner barrel? Even after researching for a couple of months before making my decision it's still not clear to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
Actually no its not. There are few cases in which necro posting is acceptable. This is not one of those times. So quit with the necro posting, it is in violation with forum rules.

Though to answer your question about what parts are compatable with the A&K m24,
VSR buckings and barrels, APS2 cylinder group. As for the rest of it, I dont remember.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.