Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
No, easiest way to explain is hooke's law

F = kx

F = forced applied on the spring (the force that comes out after compression)
k = spring constant
x = displacement

*There are other higher level elements to it...but that would just make this explanation more confusing

While the F which generated 150m/s might be the same for an AEG and VSR spring, the k and x is dramatically different to arrive at that number. This is because VSR springs are much longer in length than typical AEG springs, and therefore displacement is different. A VSR spring compressed down to an AEG length would generate you ALOT more than 150m/s. So you're comparing apples and oranges. When they give you the 150m/s value (force), they are assuming the displacement typically associated with their respective platforms

Reactions: SiliconeSword

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
They have different lengths, inner diameters, outer diameters, pitches, and are built around different systems.

A 150 spring for an AEG is built around a small fat cylinder with a usually leaky piston head, cylinder head, nozzle, bucking lips, bucking base, loose chamber, and loose barrel, giving different powers that a spring of the same characteristics with a springer.

A springer that takes VSR or APS2 springs has less leak points, the piston, cylinder head, bucking lips and body, and chamber, giving a different power reading.
Another thing to note in springers is that the piston is almost always heavier, the nozzle is almost always a larger bore, the bucking seal is almost always better, and the cylinder is a higher volume while having a smaller diameter and more length, changing energy characteristics.

One oddball is the ARES AS-0 series snipers which uses AEG springs, but that shouldn't be considered a sniper as it sucks insanely bad with it's unstable barrel and stock as well as the piss poor bolt pull.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While the F which generated 150m/s might be the same for an AEG and VSR spring, the k and x is dramatically different to arrive at that number. This is because VSR springs are much longer in length than typical AEG springs, and therefore displacement is different. A VSR spring compressed down to an AEG length would generate you ALOT more than 150m/s. So you're comparing apples and oranges. When they give you the 150m/s value (force), they are assuming the displacement typically associated with their respective platforms
I have a 120m/s spring for an AEG and it generate 0.75j (I have a 22mm of airbrake in my Striker AS-02): if I'll take a 120 m/s spring for a VSR it will generate much energy? If yes how muchis the difference for you(techincally)?

·
Registered
552 Posts
@mrFonzie
I don't know the various lengths or spring constants off hand, but I can't imagine the values being the same

Are those platforms even cross compadiable?

Reactions: Blackmail

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
Typically no. AEG springs are different. See my photo. The top 2 are VSR springs 13mm od, ~9mm id, 200mm length. The two on the bottom are AEG. 15mm od, ~10mm id, 170mm length. Very different springs.
Hand Wood Gesture Finger Line

Reactions: AsianGuy

·
Registered
552 Posts
@mrFonzie

I think part of the confusion might be you believe all springs are the same and interchangeable? Which isn't the case
You can't take a truck engine and throw it on to a hybrid (not easily at least) and expect everything to translate. Sure they are engines and they turn a belt, but they are clearly doing different things and measured differently

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a 120m/s spring for an AEG and it generate 0.75j (I have a 22mm of airbrake in my Striker AS-02): if I'll take a 120 m/s spring for a VSR it will generate much energy? If yes how muchis the difference for you(techincally)?
The springs are made for different platforms and usually aren't cross-compatible. To answer you first question, no. A m150 aeg spring will almost always have a lower output than a m150 for a vsr10. The aeg has a less consistent airseal, and a lighter piston plus other variables.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Typically no. AEG springs are different. See my photo. The top 2 are VSR springs 13mm od, ~9mm id, 200mm length. The two on the bottom are AEG. 15mm od, ~10mm id, 170mm length. Very different springs. View attachment 19769
What brand are the VSR ones?
Never seen a brown spring before....

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
No just my 5j spring. I do have a stronger one, but its one of the 9mm ones. Its all kinked up, and I'm not sure where it is. Been packing stuff up to move out of my current apartment.

·
Registered
399 Posts
But my replica is a striker as 02: on it should I use AEG springs?
It uses AEG springs so buy an AEG spring. You can't use vsr springs.

/Thread

Reactions: mrFonzie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.