Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 300mm vsr crazy jet from airsoft atlanta. I thought these barrels were brass with the sleeve at the end being stainless or some other variation of steel. I received this (picture below) which is definitely not brass. The finish/polish of the bore is rather good though I think. Can someone tell me what's going on here?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Less than a year ago they updated the Crazy Jet barrels to a coated brass, similar to Action Army or TNT.
It's actually a huge improvement as it's way more wear resistant than brass and will never oxidize.
Should also be more slippery.

The Action Army barrels are a high grade of brass with a thick coating of chromium I believe, so I would expect these to be the same.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Less than a year ago they updated the Crazy Jet barrels to a coated brass, similar to Action Army or TNT.
It's actually a huge improvement as it's way more wear resistant than brass and will never oxidize.
Should also be more slippery.

The Action Army barrels are a high grade of brass with a thick coating of chromium I believe, so I would expect these to be the same.
Good to know I thought I got duped! Lol

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They are still brass, but they are anodized. It is definitely an improvement over the original.
I think you mean electroplated, anodized is building up an oxide layer while electroplated is plating with a different metal.
But you are right, huge improvement as chromium or whatever they use is super hard to scratch, similar to a really slippery knife steel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anodized is the term Maple Leaf used for their barrels when they announced the new Crazy Jets.

I think you mean electroplated, anodized is building up an oxide layer while electroplated is plating with a different metal.
But you are right, huge improvement as chromium or whatever they use is super hard to scratch, similar to a really slippery knife steel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi.

My 2 cents:
I disagree, chrome or zinc or whatever it is can't possibly be as hard to scratch as knife steel. That's why knifes are made out of steel and not out of something else. Steel is just harder!

But after finishing my pointless rant about steel, I still do agree with the general tone of the thread:
1) While it might not be as hard as knife steel, the coating probably is harder than brass, thus harder to scratch. (haven't checked though)
2) I too think they're an improvement, just because the finish is, I expect, a bit smoother.
3) Also, since everybody does it, it must be good "bang for the buck", advantage which in an ideal world partially reaches the consumer :)

Another thing worth noting: CJs come VSR cut and in GBB cut. My AA chamber does not care, but a GBB cut barrel won't fit in a "normal" VSR hop without modificaiton (which is super easy, but still)

br, Gru.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They also fit AEG which is cool.

Chromium is similar to steel for hardness, but it's more "slippery".
That's why series 300 "steel" is like the ideal airsoft barrel, it can be super smooth and has little friction.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To quickly chime in here regarding the differences in material hardness. I work in the high end rifle industry, specifically making barrels. The chrome plating we use to line hammer forged barrels is about 62-63 HRC, it is extremely hard. 300 series steels are not usually hardened anywhere close to that in my experience. There are some "knife steels" that are that hard, but most are not brought up that high due to toughness concerns. Chrome lined surfaces are very smooth if they are finished correctly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Plating is a lot like anodizing in the respect that different types and quality can be vastly different. As Sianlaser said, chrome plating can be very hard, smooth, and durable if done right. On the other hand, if it is more of a decretive chrome plate, the results are very different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts