Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but seeing as they are all AEGs, I guess this would be the best place.
I've been looking around, trying to find the rifle that would best suit me, and I have come down to a couple of options. the VSR, Mk96, and the SVD (which is what this thread is about).
I found a couple svds, all by different brands, and wanted to know everyones opinion on them.
Classic Army: http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=364_68_540&products_id=4668

S&T: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/sandt-svd-aeg-real-wood.html

RS: http://www.airsoftstation.com/real-sword-dragunov-svd-aeg-sniper-rifle.html

I know most of you will say, "GET THE RS, GET THE RS" almost immediately, but I'm on a budget of 500$ and would rather not use all of that on one gun. But, from a performance aspect, how many of you can vouch for the quality of the S&T or the CA?
Opinions? Links? Comments?
I really want an out of the box performer. Not something perfect, but later on I will definitely upgrade it to suit my needs.
Don't worry about the scope, I already have an SVD side mount because a while back I was going to buy the A&K Springer, but evike messed up my order and the only thing I got was the mount.

·
Administrator
6,189 Posts
inthetallgrass said:
I would either get an A&K or a RS one. The RS BTW won't need any upgrading for a long time cause it's supposed to be awesome outside the box.
Yes the RS is awesome out of the box, has has decent range and very good hop up I've only replaced the stock hop up bucking with a Systema I had lying around.
The only "problem it has is the GB "lock up" it's very easy to fix if you buy the V2 but at least on me it happens at least twice per game!! And all time happened when I need it the most!! I'm running it on 8.6v battery cause the 9.6v 1600mah I bought with the gun never worked!!

Wolf

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So pretty much cross the CA off my list?
I really don't know if I want to spend all that money on just the gun. Do you think that I should get the S&T and upgrade it with the leftover money?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Realsword, difference is, all the other guns shoot like a standard AEG, the RS doesn't. You can spend all your money on the gun and actually have a good sniper, or you can have a whole kit and not hit shit(pardon my french, had to rhyme". Plus my comrades over on red alliance who have the S&T already said it is TERRIBLE, like HORRIBLE, not even average performance and build quality.

The CA isn't that bad, but there is NO reason to go cheap on the gun, that is the most important part of your kit. There's a reason why I could sell my realsword used for more than I bought it new.

To any with the lockup issue, I really recommend you go get an 11.1 15c stick battery for it, the gun can handle it and it will never lock up again. I have been using a king arms 11.1 in my svd for the past 2 years. When I took my GB apart to add a new spring(upgrading, didn't break) I noticed that all the gears literally look as good as the free spare kit they sent with my gun. No wear whatsoever in 2 years of use and with using an 11.1

Orange tip IS painted on.

·
Registered
571 Posts
flippin said:
What kind of batteries will fit in the handguard? I know a stick type will, but will the regular "block" kind work? And is it a Large or Small Tamiya?
The fact your using tamiyas still makes me giggle. Best bet is to take a foam block and cut it to the largest dimensions that fit, and you try to find a pack that fits those dimensions with reasonable stats.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I got rid of tamiya after getting it for deans. It DID come with mini tamiya. The best battery I can recommend would be what I use, King arms 11.1 stick lipo battery, fits perfectly and I've never locked up, never ran out of battery. Used my Svd today, amazing performance as always and its 2 years old, only upgrade at all is the increased spring strength. I shot it side by side with an upgraded A&K and it couldn't even get close to the groupings as the RS, its just a magical aeg.

If you or anyone else has ANY questions about the RS svd I would be more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got dean connectors in the G&P m16 at my house, just thought that it would most likely come with tamiyas. Anyway, I'll see if I can buy a Li-po or a stick type Ni-mh at 9.6v. But the li-pos going to cost a lot. No one in my team runs li-pos cause of their volatility, so no one has a charger. I think it's a myth, but they keep insisting to not get them.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
They are only volatile if you handle them improperly. The easiest thing to do is to get a non-flammable bag and just stick it in there while charging/playing if you are that worried about it. A local shop finally got his lipo to explode after he hit it with a sledgehammer. He also managed to get one up in flames with a propane torch, but that was too easy, I think, and not very easy to replicate in real-world conditions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.