Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m gonna do some research here. In this thread I would Like you to tell which one you like and why. Like for example I love Bolt Because they are so quite and can usually outrange all other guns. Stuff Like that and what you use(By use it includes gun and upgrades you done) and what you recommended.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I partly run a bolt gun just for the thrill of it. Not much(in airsoft) beats having only one round available and being near a squad of guys. Like you said, they are GENERALLY much more quite then an AEG. But I also like AEGs(DMRs) because you have the rapid fire capabilities. Depending on what upgrades you out into it, you can make an AEG very quite as well. I knew of a sniper/spotter team who had a m4 shooting slightly over 400FPS(was semi ONLY by mechanical means per host rules), and you could hardly tell the difference between the snipers bolt gun and the DMR. It was impressive.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I like either my kokusai or my bolties. Reason being, they both are REALLY quiet. Along the lines of, you can't hear them over 50 feet, kind of quiet. My spotter's AEG, not so quiet. My only AEG that I have left, not so quiet. Not to mention, I can get fluctuations of less than 1 fps in my bolt guns...

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I have my first m14 on the way, will be a different taste than what I am used to. So far, I love the bolt actions, easy to strip down, love working on it internally, and using it in a game is just a lot of fun. For instance, camoing her up, and racking the bolt back is the bees knees. I've gone a few days without a bolt action, and I did not like it at all.
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love bolt guns because like fuzzywolly said, chambering a round is the bees knees. I like my m110 more though because of how quiet it is. I got a game admin to shoot near and at me at 100 feet with it and all you can hear is the bb either whizzing by or the sound it makes when it hits you. I'm also a huge fan of the range it gets. Will make a thread hopefully within the next week to show what I mean.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow fluctuations of less than 1 fps is amazing. I get only around 5 fps deviation. Hencing my is just a stock bar 10 I got to upgrade it,

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I had a 2-3 fps differential for a bit, then it evened out to 4. Not bad for not taping/greasing in over three-four weeks. If you clean her good, and keep her in tip top shape you would be surprised what you can do. Not to mention, its fun. ;)

And I found that one of the loudest parts of my rifle was not the noise, but the whizzing of the bb, the smack against the persons chest/tree/other object, and then the rack of the bolt. Damn clicky noise. ::)

·
Administrator
6,194 Posts
I have both (Semi AEG and bolt action) and it's personal choice. I love racking the bolt especially on my Tanaka's but I also love double tapping (just to make sure he's hit) with my RS SVD!
Though I'd just love a WE M14 EBR with RA tech parts just to see how good are the modern GBBR.

Wolf

·
Registered
160 Posts
People who say that you can't get a AEG to be very consistent(no one on here... yet) Doesn't know what they are talking about. Like I said before, it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what parts you want(hmm, kind of like bolties). I see AEG after AEG that has a ~5 FPS difference. Many of the DMRs have even less. I just want to make that clear. It's all about good parts and great compression(sound familiar?).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah. It is very difficult to get a rifle with those tolerances. The best I have first hand seen was 1, some times 2 fluttering. But that was on a custom rifle(i.e. pretty much designed by the guy). It would be cool to find a 'easy' way to get it that precise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have done several AEG projects where I was able to get 1-2fps fluctuations. The key is really to take your time and put a lot of attention into the compression. Particularly in the hop-up chamber, and between the nozzle and bucking, much overlooked parts.

On a side note about FPS fluctuations, I find it has a lot to do with the ammo you are using. Lesser ammo always seems to be less velocity consistent, which may be why our bolties have that reputation for consistency. We pretty much always use either very heavy (where the fluctuations are less pronounced) and/or top-of-the-line quality ammo. Most AEGs users use average .2g and .25g bbs. If I run SGMs in my AEG, and keep the rate of fire down, I can achieve bolt-action level velocity consistency. By the same nature, using Matrix .2s in my VSR would get me the typical AEG fluctuations.

That is not to say that just by using nice ammo you'll have a perfectly consistent AEG, or bolt action for that matter. Only that it may be contributing to the stereotype that AEGs are just outright less consistent. In either case, time and care must be taken to get consistent velocity. Although I will say that I find it considerably easier to get really good consistency in a bolt action than an AEG, simply because of the nature of the way the nozzle works in an AEG as opposed to a bolt action.

However, I do believe bolt actions are more consistent in one regard. In AEGs, the tappet plate is released and the nozzle springs forward and slams the bb into the hop-up chamber. In a bolt action, we can chamber the bb in a much slower, more controlled manner. This means more consistency in the starting point in the bb and thus in the spin applied by the hop-up. It is a pretty minor thing though, and newer designs like the G-hop and R-hop by the nature of their much greater contact area should essentially negate this.

As for DMR vs bolt action in general, the answer in my opinion is that it simply depends on the application.

Bolt actions are quiet and highly precise guns. They enable the user to stealthily take accurate shots at targets a long distance away. They are for those for whom rate of fire means little; volume of fire is traded in favor of staying hidden. These players are looking to play primarily a recon role, and take shots generally at high value targets or targets of great opportunity without being detected. For them, the bolt action suits the style of playing very well. A DMR accurate for sure, and effective at placing larger volumes of precise shots downrange, AEGs tend to be quite loud, which compromises the location of the shooter. And in practice, the shooter would often get discovered, and be forced to rely on that rate of fire to escape.

Where the DMR proves more practical is in the hands of well, a DM, for whom they are designed. If you are playing a support role, and your job is to keep heads down from a distance using precise shots, the inability to fire in relatively quick succession proves ineffective. Stealth is far less of a priority. To a certain extent, the shooter needs to be able to put a decently sized volume of fire downrange, and need to do so far more quickly than a bolt action would allow. No heads will be kept down when you have to manually chamber a new round each shot. To that end, the semi-automatic DMR is far more effective in this scenario.

So essentially, it depends on the application. The bolt action sniper rifles are for the snipers, and the DMRs are for the DMs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've noticed people are only mentioning AEGs when talking about DMRs, and I dislike this.
I'm aware of 3 people who use GBBR DMRs and I'm planning to be making my own GBBR DMR soon. If people can use gas bolt actions, why not gas DMRs? Yeah, you're sacrificing consistency majorly but that's just adding to you challenge as a DM.
I'm a firm believer that you can master almost any system given the time and effort to understand and modify it, gas included.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unfortunately, AEGs are the most common. I made my M14 DMR almost a year ago out of my CYMA M14, although I can't fault the performance it's not as fun to use as a GBBR

I'm going to be mostly concentrating on the GBBRs action rather than the gas system first of all, trying to work from the ground up at creating absolute consistency in the moving parts rather than going at the gas first. I'm not really certain how it's going to turn out, but it's going to be a whole lot of work ;)
A HPA rig is something I'd definitely consider but I'd rather try to perfect the system before I use one, so I can get the rifle as good as it possibly can be.

·
Registered
744 Posts
An HPA we m14 would be uber sexy. Throw a walnut stock on it as well. I'd drop kick a puppy for one with about 5 or 6 extra mags. I've tossed the idea around a little bit, but I've got a G&G m14 veteran I'm building into a DMR, so I have no funds for an HPA m14 anywhere in the near future. I'd still love to see one. Sure would be nice if someone put one together on here...nudge nudge, wink wink.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.