Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of new people asking genuine questions on this forum only to be told to make and intro post first. Sometimes when they are told to make an intro post, it is rude and not encouraging to keep people on the forum. When new people come, we want to make them feel welcome.
Every time I see someone say, "You need to make an into post", it makes me cringe. Sometimes I think, the person who is being told that will not return.
We need to remember that a lot of people will be nervous about putting a post on this forum as they will feel inferior. There is a lot of people on here that have a lot of experience and it can seem a little overwhelming to many people.
I think that it would be better to just skip the intro post. So not have one.
So my question is, do we have to have an intro post?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Fair enough, I don't think it's really that important, and it's definitely something that could turn people away.

I still think that it should be around, but just I think that it shouldn't be required, or whatever it is now.
That being said, introducing yourself is a good idea if you plan on sticking around for a while

·
Registered
644 Posts
If it should be required it should have them directed to it or physically not allow them to post. A car forum I was on years ago wouldn’t let you comment in certain sections or something until you met certain requirements.

However, it’s always been a general rule here and it’s kind of nice you have a set rule. I mean it’s simple, if you read and pay attention you’ll know you need the post. I’d like to know the benefits though. Intro posts are kind of generic.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like Silicones idea. Still have it but not compulsory.
If it is compulsory, then a new person should be given the direct link to making that introduction post so that we do not have to read statements on other threads, like "Please make an intro post before making any other posts".
I see these statements all too often on this website.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's an age old rule that doesn't really need to be around anymore. I suggest leaving it as an option like the others suggested

Reactions: SiliconeSword

·
Registered
635 Posts
If it counts for anything, I've been here for over 600 posts... And I STILL haven't made an intro. I guess the intro police never caught me hehehe.

I still think it's good. I don't usually bother to respond to intros, but it does personalize the forum.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't tell anyone.. But I never made an intro post

It really kinda depends, so I agree that it should be optional. There's long-time lurkers here that don't have an account, that one day decide to ask a question or comment on a post, that it's easy to get by without coming off as a "total newb".

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
Honestly, its not uncommon for small communities to have this. (This is a small community dont kid yourselves otherwise.)

Currently the quality of intro posts is pretty lackluster. I use them as a general background info. Like do they have some level of teching experience or are they straight up new. I also view it as a person's ability to research and follow rules. Every community has rules.

When you go to a new game site, do you not look up the rules and costs before hand? Or are you crazy and like the thrill of the unknown?! Same applies.

Though I don't jump people with the make an intro post till around post 10 or so. If I am even caring that much at that time. Mind you so many of the rules we have people don't follow them anyway.

Traffic wise on average their are anywhere from 150 to 500 unregistered users viewing the board. While active members are at the most 20. Average is 4.

Reactions: 1tonne

·
Registered
59 Posts
If someone makes an intro post it seems they are increasingly less likely for their next post to be "how dew I meak sn1p3r l33t". If they have taken the time to read that you need an intro post they have normally taken the time to read the relevant build guides/previous threads on the rifle they have.

I'm not saying that asking for help is bad that's what we are here for, to help or be helped but it raises the quality of posts and knowledge up a bit by making people read what has already normally been asked 500 times before.

Potentially could the current or updated build guides be promoted to new users when they go to post for the first time?

·
proverbial discord mod wannabe
1,028 Posts
I've found the Intro posts to largely be a good thing.
People have had issues with their gun that they described in their intro post, and we helped to resolve them pretty quickly.
At the same time, there might be y'know, a nicer way to say it.
Also, we shouldn't bombard people with 'make an intro post make an intro post make an intro post'.
1 time is enough.
It's best, I think, to check the previous responses to see if anyone has already said it.

"how dew I meak sn1p3r l33t".
I kekked. Would make a good sig.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can we get something to direct new people who register for these forums to go to the "Make an intro post"? ADMINS?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think one advantage of a person making an intro post is to let other userd know where they are based as we have people from many countries and if you know their location you can, if you have the knowledge of the question they have asked, sometimes guide them to the store/contact/help etc in their locality. I don’t it should compulsory but maybe suggested as a courtesy to others.

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMO if a question is relevant, properly worded, then that person can skip the intro post at first, but should make it later, like in 7 days for example.

·
Administrator
6,145 Posts
Don't think it's that bad to tell a few things about you.
I'm sure the long time lurkers won't mind.
It will make the guys that want to offload stuff nervous .. yea.
But remember this isn't just a marketplace
But even if it was a marketplace I think all buyer would like to know to who they sent money!
At least I do!!

Wolf

·
Registered
238 Posts
I personally think that rule should be dismissed. I have seen several threads where members have jumped on new members, demanding them to make an intro post.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is what it feels like. Long time members jumping on new people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts